Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Household electrical question

Really a two-part question. Seems like they might be related. First off, I seem to recall something about when your light switches start getting squishy or sensitive or, I'm not sure the right term. That's supposed to be an indication of something?

Second, darn disposal just quit working. It's not jammed. And I've checked the fuse box. No luck there. But it doesn't turn over it doesn't whirr, it just -doesn't.

Just about to plug an extension cord into another outlet that I know works and try the disposal from there.

Any other ideas?

Usually you can stick your hand down in there as you flick the switch on and off and try to manually spin it.

• Haha 1

Sometimes the disposal has a over current reset button on the bottom near where the power cord comes in. If you find one press it...make sure nothing is in there causes it to bind thus causing the overrurrct issue. You should be able to stick a fork or a pasta spoon handle down in there and spin the impeller...it should spin reasonably freely.

Using an extension cord is a good idea to rule in or out the switch that turns it on or the power source/breaker. 

If the light switch is iffy it could be just a bad switch..replace it. Not enough detail on that issue to effectively evaluate. 

Have you tried taking the toaster in the bathtub with you? Maybe a hairdryer? 

38 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Usually you can stick your hand down in there as you flick the switch on and off and try to manually spin it.

Be careful who you give advice to around here. After having read some of this guy's posts, you may end up in a lawsuit with a one handed liberal.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Disposal could just have gone south.

Yep. Nothing kills a garbage disposal faster than coffee grounds. I found that out the hard way. 

I can only imagine what Wiff is trying to dispose of...   

While you're at it, might want to turn on the oven and stick your head in there and see how it's working. 

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Really a two-part question. Seems like they might be related. First off, I seem to recall something about when your light switches start getting squishy or sensitive or, I'm not sure the right term. That's supposed to be an indication of something?  Stick a screwdriver in it while standing in a bucket of water. This will complete the circuit and all will be well

Second, darn disposal just quit working. It's not jammed. And I've checked the fuse box. No luck there. But it doesn't turn over it doesn't whirr, it just -doesn't.

Just about to plug an extension cord into another outlet that I know works and try the disposal from there. Easy fix. Reach down the drain with your dominant hand and grab the obstruction. Turn switch off and on at a rapid pace and your problem is solved. 

Any other ideas?

Solid home maintenance advice bud! 

Is the receptacle that the disposal is plugged into on a GFI circuit?

3 hours ago, drobeski said:

Sometimes the disposal has a over current reset button on the bottom near where the power cord comes in. If you find one press it...make sure nothing is in there causes it to bind thus causing the overrurrct issue. You should be able to stick a fork or a pasta spoon handle down in there and spin the impeller...it should spin reasonably freely.

Using an extension cord is a good idea to rule in or out the switch that turns it on or the power source/breaker. 

If the light switch is iffy it could be just a bad switch..replace it. Not enough detail on that issue to effectively evaluate. 

Solid.

Turns out, I was low on blinker fluid.