Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

My Take on L. Bell

My take means nothing to anyone, but I do think it warrants a read for people who own Bell in a Dynasty League.

I only owned him in one league. A Dynasty League I have won before. This offseason, after they tagged him, I traded Bell. People in the league said I didn't get enough for him; Two number 1's in the rookie draft (likely to be later first round selections), Calvin Ridley and Eric Ebron. Ridley isn't going to do anything in 2018, but that's not what I wanted him for. Ebron just may surprise some folks under Reich, a Head Coach who knows how to use his TE's. That said, I had other reasons to dump Bell.

One - I truly do not believe he will be even 80% as effective outside of Pittsburgh. I believe his rushing totals will drop in a big way. In his Division, he has had the luxury of facing Cleveland twice per season while they were the worst team in football, while Baltimore and Cincy (sometimes) utilize a 3-4 that benefits Bell. The Steelers have a good offensive line, which typically does well when facing a 3-4 front. Take Bell and put him in another division, where he is facing 4-3 lines, do you believe he will still be able to stutter step behind the O-Line the way he does currently. I don't think he will. How many times have you seen him patiently wait while a lineman opens a hole for him? You can't do that with a mediocre line. The team able to sign him for what he wants is going to have some holes....

Two - I see his Agent's viewpoint on holding him out. He has a lot of mileage on his legs already. How long will he last with a new team and an inferior offensive line (assumption on my end)? I can't imagine a team is going to sign him, then not run him completely into the ground. With so many touches on those legs already, do you think he can last a full season?

Three - History shows that RB's changing teams typically doesn't work out well for anyone. Injury has played a role in some of that, but sometimes a different scheme kills the value the RB had prior. Would Bell be as valuable without double coverage going to Antonio Brown on each play? How about the fact the defenses he's faced have always had a deep threat on the other side of Brown (Williams, Bryant, Smith-Schuster and possibly Williams now)? If he went to a team with inferior WR's (almost anywhere else), will he face an extra defender in the box? Likely so.

To me, three strikes is enough to trade away a player, even of his caliber. You may be stuck waiting until he shows up to play before you can trade him now, but when he does, I would say to let him go. He isn't playing in Pittsburgh next season. The only teams with the salary cap room to sign him have horrible offensive lines (think Buffalo). He isn't the style of runner that is going to be a good fit with the 49'ers and Cleveland has 3 RB's now. The Colts will have the salary cap room, but do you see them bringing in Bell when they have holes all over the roster? Trade him when you can and you will still walk away with quite the haul, especially if you do so the week of the trade deadline when owners are willing to pay more.

Too late. Everyone is scared off of him now that it seems a lengthy holdout may happen.

Although I agree with some of your points, Bell is flat out a great back. Of course if he goes to a crap offense it could hurt his numbers, but when he becomes a free agent he gets to pick and choose his destination.

So many folks are just predicting him to crumble into a pile of dust this year.

He is still only 26 years old. And the last I checked, he is a shltload better than Eric Ebron.

Eric Ebron???? That dude still in the NFL????

and you had 2 no 1's in a dynasty and didnt get an RB?

cant decide whats worse, that you drafted Eric Ebron a no 2 TE on his own team, or that you drafted him in the 1st when 1 of the following would have been available

Barkley

Penny

Guice

KJohnson

Freeman

Chubb

Michel

Sutton

Ridley

DJ Moore

Gisecki (better than Ebron at this point)

RJones

any QB

I have him in dynasty. Just traded for Conner finally to hopefully secure Pitt backfield for next year. I want to trade bell toward end of this season. He will not do well without a great offensive line and a passing game to prevent 8 men in box. In fact he will probably end up being more a passing weapon than duel threat.

• Like 1

...He isn't the style of runner that is going to be a good fit with the 49'ers...

If Hyde had almost 1300 yards from scrimmage last year and McKinnon had a 20-ish ADP, I don't see why Bell would have a problem. If he truly didn't fit, I'm sure Shanahan would be delighted to re-scheme things to accommodate him.

Eric Ebron???? That dude still in the NFL????

and you had 2 no 1's in a dynasty and didnt get an RB?

cant decide whats worse, that you drafted Eric Ebron a no 2 TE on his own team, or that you drafted him in the 1st when 1 of the following would have been available

Barkley

Penny

Guice

KJohnson

Freeman

Chubb

Michel

Sutton

Ridley

DJ Moore

Gisecki (better than Ebron at this point)

RJones

any QB

LOL No, I obtained two #1 picks in the next two years rookie drafts. 2019 & 2020. I also received Ridley and Ebron. Thanks for reading though.

If Hyde had almost 1300 yards from scrimmage last year and McKinnon had a 20-ish ADP, I don't see why Bell would have a problem. If he truly didn't fit, I'm sure Shanahan would be delighted to re-scheme things to accommodate him.

McKinnon's ADP was a joke though. Some of us said that when he was signed. Contrary to popular belief, you can't simply plug & play a RB in any system. I loved watching people draft him in the 2nd. lol

I think Bell would be similar to Hyde in that offense, but not much better. Everyone sees the numbers Bell puts up, but evidently aren't paying attention to his running style. It's not exactly common and isn't going to work when facing more 4-3's and/or with more men in the box and/or an inferior offensive line.

Considering some folks couldn't even read the post correctly, it doesn't shock me that people would think I was an idiot. : ) Time will tell. Maybe I am. I'm pretty happy with the return I got on a guy that's holding out. Even if he wasn't, I would still be happy with that haul for a RB with a highly speculative future.

You got a good deal for him, especially for what you perceive his value to be old timer.

I don't think he'll be quite so bad on a new team, mostly because he produces so much in the passing game.

• Like 1

LOL No, I obtained two #1 picks in the next two years rookie drafts. 2019 & 2020. I also received Ridley and Ebron. Thanks for reading though.

yah that was really confusing, I thought you got two no 1's which you used on Ridley and Ebron

yah that was really confusing, I thought you got two no 1's which you used on Ridley and Ebron

Sorry guys. I re-read it and it is/was confusing. I'll try to be more clear on things going forward. I really like Ebron in the Colts offense. In Detroit, he wasn't utilized the way he should have been. If you watched him play in college, he ran a lot of deep routes and go routes, which is rare for a TE. In Detroit, he was asked to actually learn a route tree and run routes he had no experience with. He dropped a lot of passes and I believe some of it was because he was focusing too much on the route and not enough on the catch. He's still young enough to make some changes to his game and I think Reich will utilize him in ways he is most comfortable with.

Agree with OP's logic, I had strong doubts about Bell.

Keeper league, I had to decide between Gurley or Bell. Even despite the hold-out, I traded bell in early August to another owner pre-draft. I got a 3rd round pick for him. Right now I feel pretty hella good about that pick which I used to draft Mixon.

Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut.

• Like 1

Three - History shows that RB's changing teams typically doesn't work out well for anyone.

I dunno I can think of quite a few RB who were traded and did well.

Faulk

Portis

Dillon

Lynch

Williams (to Miami)

I dunno I could probably come up with more. I agree with you that the list of RB trade busts is probably longer.

• Like 1