Sign in to follow this  
GiantsRule

***Official rule suggestions for 2005 thread***

Miller has allowed me this thread for us to propose rule changes/revisions for discuss for Season 4 of the Shula League. I have some ideas to throw around which I'll likely put up later tonight.

In the meantime, I would be interested to hear what others think about our current rules, be it the scoring system, lineup requirements, draft day, keepers, etc. Chime in and let's see what things we can come up with.

Although this is simply a single forum for discussion, let's try to think of ideas that enhance our fantasy league experience, not hinder it. Let's not try to hard to fix what isn't broken. But all reasonable suggestions are welcome.

I would like to see lineup submission deadlines for each player at kickoff of their respective game.

Other than that 5 keepers, rosters, scoring, etc is good.

I tend to like decimal scoring and have some other quirks but am happier that the scoring/setup is different for each of the various leagues I am in.

Also, keep in mind that the rules state majority rule on voting which is the case, however, if it is a major item I do retain the right to call for a 75% vote, I would do this before we start to vote. I would only do this on items that drastically change the make up of the league (i.e like last years TE vote).

I'd gladly pay a couple of extra bucks to purchase a trophy for the league champion for 2005 and beyond. It would cost less than $2 per owner (and could be taken out of the $50 we currently pay if everyone wanted to keep the league fees the same). You can buy 16" trophy's from Antsports for $19.99 (three lines of engraving and shipping is included). I just think it would add extra incentive and is nice to have a memento (other than a photocopied check. lol!). :thumbsup:

I would like to propose an increase in our fees for the season. I originally asked about this before this season, but one of the owners who is leaving said they wouldn't participate if it was more than $50. I think $75 would be a nice start for season 4 and I wouldn't be opposed to an even $100.

I think we know by now that Miller and Battle are as trustworthy as they come. If they didn't leave the country with $800, I doubt $1200 will get them much further. In our first year, we put in $25 each because Bill (Lord of the Flies) wanted everyone to start small to see that we could all be trusted. I think standard inflation should dictate that we could step it up next season. <_<

Our prize pools were nice this year, no question. I just think a larger pot to disperse the funds would be even better and allow us to better rationalize the work we put into this league (often 26 of the 52 weeks of the year, if not more).

I would like to propose an increase in our fees for the season. I originally asked about this before this season, but one of the owners who is leaving said they wouldn't participate if it was more than $50. I think $75 would be a nice start for season 4 and I wouldn't be opposed to an even $100.

I think we know by now that Miller and Battle are as trustworthy as they come. If they didn't leave the country with $800, I doubt $1200 will get them much further. In our first year, we put in $25 each because Bill (Lord of the Flies) wanted everyone to start small to see that we could all be trusted. I think standard inflation should dictate that we could step it up next season. :lol:

Our prize pools were nice this year, no question. I just think a larger pot to disperse the funds would be even better and allow us to better rationalize the work we put into this league (often 26 of the 52 weeks of the year, if not more).

I wouldn't mind a slight increase.

However, do you think an owner who won less than 5 games this year will be willing to fork out the extra cash knowing he's going to donate it?

Or

a new owner who is going to have to take a few years to build and tweak his squad is going to do the same?

Not bad mouthing the idea, just want to keep things out in front of everyone so that we make the best decision for the league.

A couple minor suggestions for scoring:

PK: I'd like to see a sliding scale for FG distance. I'm in other leagues that reward longer, more difficult FG's with an extra point for every 10 yards. So, something like:

30-39 yards = 3 pts

40-49 yards = 4 ots

50-59 yards = 5 pts

I know some may argue that a FG is always worth half of a TD, but since we award yardage bonuses to other players which compensates for that, this would add some intrigue to an otherwise boring position. :lol: Thoughts?

Defense: I think an adjustment to our points allowed scale may be in order. Now a days, the average points allowed by team is a little over 20. I think we should adjust the scale to make it so that negatives aren't assessed unless an opponent scores more than the NFL average, which we could say is 20 for simplicity. So the -1 point for every 7 would start from 21-99 pts. Maybe I'm reading our scoring incorrectly, so feel free to set me straight, but it looks like starting with 15 points, DT's are penalized for each successive 7 points thereafter. Is that right? :thumbsdown:

Just to add: I'd support an entry fee increase to $75, per GR's suggestion. I fully intend on taking home a good chunk of cash next season, so I'd consider it a good investment. :blink:

My suggestion is simple.............

Replace our commish because he suxors :thumbsup:

Who loves ya baby

My suggestion is simple.............

Replace our commish because he suxors :thumbsup:

Who loves ya baby

The job is yours!!

Wait, I've seen your work in Landry, never mind

:banana:

Have no problem with a fee increase as I plan on dominating next year. Also agree with the lineup submission suggestion of 5 minutes before the start of each game, as well as the sliding scale for field goals................

One major change that I think makes sense for this size league is some type of point per reception (1/2 point or full point). I realize that this probably can't happen in a keeper league where the base of a team is already formed by a certain strategy, but it makes fantasy football more fun IMO by adding value to different types of players (especially RBs) and changes draft strategy......................

Oh yeah, the replacing the commissioner suggestion was golden..................... :mad:

Agree with the point per reception suggestion (for WR's and TE's only). This is a large league and RB's are in short supply. Awarding a point per reception for these two groups makes them more draftable and will allow RB starved teams to remain competitive.

Here's an idea to keep the league active for everyone till week #16......

We have some sort of Toilet Bowl :pointstosky:

It would comprise of the 8 teams whom do not make the "real" play-offs. They would be seeded and have their brackets just like the real thing. The winner of said Toilet Bowl would get a little something.......maybe like a Toilet Bowl trophy or a case of Miller-Lite (yuck :bandana: ) or $25 or $50 bucks....pick one.

Just something that might seem fun........... :(

Agree with the point per reception suggestion (for WR's and TE's only). This is a large league and RB's are in short supply. Awarding a point per reception for these two groups makes them more draftable and will allow RB starved teams to remain competitive.

:mad:

A couple minor suggestions for scoring:

PK: I'd like to see a sliding scale for FG distance. I'm in other leagues that reward longer, more difficult FG's with an extra point for every 10 yards. So, something like:

30-39 yards = 3 pts

40-49 yards = 4 ots

50-59 yards = 5 pts

I know some may argue that a FG is always worth half of a TD, but since we award yardage bonuses to other players which compensates for that, this would add some intrigue to an otherwise boring position. :clap: Thoughts?

Defense: I think an adjustment to our points allowed scale may be in order. Now a days, the average points allowed by team is a little over 20. I think we should adjust the scale to make it so that negatives aren't assessed unless an opponent scores more than the NFL average, which we could say is 20 for simplicity. So the -1 point for every 7 would start from 21-99 pts. Maybe I'm reading our scoring incorrectly, so feel free to set me straight, but it looks like starting with 15 points, DT's are penalized for each successive 7 points thereafter. Is that right? :banana:

:mad:

Sorry if this is repeating anyone, but I have a couple.

- Increase the pts for TD passes by a QB. I think it's 4pts right now which is way too low. It needs to be at least 5. Using my example below from another thread, there's no way that a good performance by a QB should not be rewarded more.

I've been thinking all year that the scoring for QBs is kind of whacked so I want some other opinions.

How in the fock does Manning throw for almost 500yrds, 3 TDs, 1 pick and 1 fumble and only get 27pts?

Pepper scored 21 with 150 less yards, 1 less TD and 1 more INT. He did have 50yrds rushing and no fumbles though. 

I'm just ranting, but it seems to me that Manning had a MUCH better game than a 6pt difference would indicate.

- I agree with the FG suggestion of extra points for distance.

- I agree with adding some extra scoring for receptions

- Do we have extra scoring for TDs in a nonconvential way. Example, a RB throwing a TD pass. I'd like to see an extra pt for something like that in case anyone pulls a David Patten.

- Increase the pts for TD passes by a QB. I think it's 4pts right now which is way too low. It needs to be at least 5. Using my example below from another thread, there's no way that a good performance by a QB should not be rewarded more.

I've been thinking all year that the scoring for QBs is kind of whacked so I want some other opinions.

How in the fock does Manning throw for almost 500yrds, 3 TDs, 1 pick and 1 fumble and only get 27pts?

Pepper scored 21 with 150 less yards, 1 less TD and 1 more INT. He did have 50yrds rushing and no fumbles though. 

I'm just ranting, but it seems to me that Manning had a MUCH better game than a 6pt difference would indicate.

- Do we have extra scoring for TDs in a nonconvential way. Example, a RB throwing a TD pass. I'd like to see an extra pt for something like that in case anyone pulls a David Patten.

:o Imagine that, the Manning owner wanting more points for passing TD's. :cheers:

Here's an idea to keep the league active for everyone till week #16......

We have some sort of Toilet Bowl :o

It would comprise of the 8 teams whom do not make the "real" play-offs. They would be seeded and have their brackets just like the real thing. The winner of said Toilet Bowl would get a little something.......maybe like a Toilet Bowl trophy or a case of Miller-Lite (yuck :D ) or $25 or $50 bucks....pick one.

Just something that might seem fun........... :cheers:

:thumbsup:

How bout that Battle

Shovel's got a few great points here:

The league (like many others that discount a QB's production) really hinders a solid performance by a QB by only rewarding 4 points for passing touchdowns. After all, we do only start one (and most of us carry only one viable starting option at the position) and scoring for TDs should be 6 across the board. The difference in yardage production is already a huge advantage to the WR/RB/TE position, but seeing a stat line of 300 yards passing, 3 TDs and only 24 points is a bit weak.

My suggestion is to make all TDs 6 points BUT to make turnovers by a quarterback double (more importantly, interceptions). As a Daunte owner, this would likely impact me negatively since he apparently washes his hands with butter before each game, but it's time quarterbacks get their just due as fantasy producers.

Regarding the "unconventional scoring system" idea, our league already has such a system for players who score out of position (QBs get 6 points for rushing scores, non-QBs get a whopping point-per-5 yards passing for throwing a TD). I would really be against adding too much more to this. A wide receiver is far less likely to take an end-around into the end zone as a running back would be to catch a five-yard screen for a score. Adding to this would only make RBs an even more valuable commodity than they already are.

:lol: Imagine that, the Manning owner wanting more points for passing TD's. ;)

Believe me, it was all I could do to wait this long to bring it up. I cannot stress to you how :huh: I was when he went for 500yrd, 3TDs, 1INT, and 1 fumble only to have 27 pts. Especially when the focker never gets sacked.

Believe me, it was all I could do to wait this long to bring it up. I cannot stress to you how :huh: I was when he went for 500yrd, 3TDs, 1INT, and 1 fumble only to have 27 pts. Especially when the focker never gets sacked.

It was just burning at ya wasn't it!! ;) I'll tell you what, so you don't have to deal with the headache of 27 points from your QB, I'll give ya Pennington and a 1st rounder for Manning! ;) Anything to help out a friend.

:( Imagine that, the Manning owner wanting more points for passing TD's. ;)

Believe me, it was all I could do to wait this long to bring it up. I cannot stress to you how :rolleyes: I was when he went for 500yrd, 3TDs, 1INT, and 1 fumble only to have 27 pts. Especially when the focker never gets sacked.

It was just burning at ya wasn't it!! :wall: I'll tell you what, so you don't have to deal with the headache of 27 points from your QB, I'll give ya Pennington and a 1st rounder for Manning! ;) Anything to help out a friend.

When CAN we start trading. Bill and I have some things we were talking about.

It was just burning at ya wasn't it!! :lol: I'll tell you what, so you don't have to deal with the headache of 27 points from your QB, I'll give ya Pennington and a 1st rounder for Manning! ;) Anything to help out a friend.

When CAN we start trading. Bill and I have some things we were talking about.

Once we fill the teams and set the rules, will still be a few weeks at least.

Bill and I have some things we were talking about.

If it involves Bill's dead cat and ladies underwear, to hell with the rules. :thumbsup: