Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Projection Pal

All right, where are all the early bird Compiler users who are always scouring the Internet trying to jam 20 sets of projections into the software? Hmm? :shocking:

Anyway, for those who do want to import projections from another website, you're going to really like Projection Pal. I'm 80-20 it works right now, but I still want to do some more testing on it though. Post links to some sites that you would like to pull projections from and are free to access. I'll give them a try, finalize Projection Pal and then publish it along with a step-by-step tutorial.

Of course if you want to just use Krueger's projections this year we are certainly okay with that.

His are the best anyway.

:clap:

Edited by Mike MacGregor

All right, where are all the early bird Compiler users who are always scouring the Internet trying to jam 20 sets of projections into the software? Hmm? :shocking:

Anyway, for those who do want to import projections from another website, you're going to really like Projection Pal. I'm 80-20 it works right now, but I still want to do some more testing on it though. Post links to some sites that you would like to pull projections from and are free to access. I'll give them a try, finalize Projection Pal and then publish it along with a step-by-step tutorial.

Of course if you want to just use Krueger's projections this year we are certainly okay with that.

His are the best anyway.

:shocking:

i might be able to scrounge up some...

All right, where are all the early bird Compiler users who are always scouring the Internet trying to jam 20 sets of projections into the software? Hmm? :banana:

His are the best anyway.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a GREAT feature.

One that immediately comes to mind is FBGs: http://footballguys.com/currentproj-qb.htm (Free for now)

Noted shermanator. Thanks. I did some web browsing myself and didn't have much luck. I guess its still early for some sites or the "freely available" aspect escapes them.

www.fantasysportscentral.com

they get info from other sites on the web and post them and give an average...it could make you job a little easier.

they have six sites showing projections so far.

looking forward to using the "Pal" :banana:

Kenzies - I think there is going to be a problem with those projections in that they do not include the full name of the player, only the first initial of the first name. Plus being spread across 32 team pages rather than by position doesn't make it the easiest to pull-down either.

cws - Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out that site.

I need a few days to do the testing, finalize things and write the tutuorial. Assuming all goes well, we will release Projection Pal this week.

That would be a great feature, although your rankings are pretty good. However you cannot beat the 'average of averages' theory to get excellent rankings.

I will list links as I find some.

Projection Pal is live ;) Check the member download page to get it.

Please make sure to carefully read and follow all the instructions included in the Projection Pal file!

I'm going to grab lunch. I'll be back in a while.

Hi Romulan,

I used that same site and I was able to pull in stats. I think that page you are refrencing is for OVERALL stats and I think you need the individual position pages to pull it in.

The tricky part I had was in figuring how to work and lable the columns. Once you get your info into the projection pal you then have to tell it what the rows and columns are so it can then extract the useful data and send it the compiler.

This new data didn't really change the rankings much but it did separate the tiers a little more.

Hope this helps!

Don.

Has anyone tried pulling in the info from the sportings news site? I have tried and it brings just about everything but what we need. I saved it to my desktop and tried from there but still nothing. I'm editing their page now in DreamWeaver and hopefully I can figure out what they're doing to stop this or if it' just some kind of bug. If anyone has had any success on this site please let me know.

Don.

;)

Nevermind. I just reread the instructions and edited the query. I selected the table I wanted and had to keep clicking off on all of the run time errors for the site but now I have it all imported.\ :o

Don.

I downloaded it and tried to import some projections from http://www.footballdocs.com/overall_player_rankings.html but all i get is a pop up (Microsoft Visual Basic) Run-time error '438':

Object doesn't support this property or method

Then under it it has End Debug Help

Hi Romulan. Hit Debug and paste in the highlighted code that pops up. Also, what version of Excel are you running? As bahama llama noted though, those projections are overall and you really should be using position-by-position lists for this exercise.

:sleep:

Nevermind. I just reread the instructions and edited the query. I selected the table I wanted and had to keep clicking off on all of the run time errors for the site but now I have it all imported.\ :D

Don.

Glad to hear it worked for you Don. Good stuff.

The troubleshooting step, point #6 in the instructions, is pretty important:

Troubleshooting Step

6. If the projections appeared on the tab in Projection Pal (they should appear below and to the right of the

grey highlighted cells), proceed to step 7. If the projections did not appear on the tab, do this:

> Click on the cell at intersection 1:1 (referring to the grey highlighted cells; actually cell B9 in Excel),

right-click with your mouse and select Edit Query.

> You should see a box appear which brings up a webpage of the projections you are trying to import. There

will be various yellow arrow and green checkmark icons on the page indicating web tables. Uncheck all of the

checkmarks. Check only the arrow for the table of player projections you want to import. Click the Import

button. Now the projections should appear.

Sub Macro1()

'

' Macro1 Macro

' Macro recorded 5/11/2005 by

'

'

ProjURL = Range("C2").Value

Range("B9:Y308").Select

Selection.ClearContents

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _

"URL;" & ProjURL & "", _

Destination:=Range("B9"))

.Name = "regular"

.FieldNames = True

.RowNumbers = False

.FillAdjacentFormulas = False

.PreserveFormatting = False

.RefreshOnFileOpen = False

.BackgroundQuery = False

.RefreshStyle = xlOverwriteCells

.SavePassword = False

.SaveData = True

.AdjustColumnWidth = False

.RefreshPeriod = 0

.WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables

.WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingNone

.WebTables = "10"

.WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True

.WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True

.WebSingleBlockTextImport = False

.WebDisableDateRecognition = False

.WebDisableRedirections = False

.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

End With

Range("B4").Select

End Sub

Hmm does this explain why i get the error?

Which part is highlighted? Surely not the whole thing :ph34r:

Oops the only thing highlighted is

.PreserveFormatting = False

Strange Romulan since others are apparently not having a problem. Try deleting that highlighted section, which shouldn't make much difference to getting the data into Projection Pal, and re-running the macro.

What version of Excel do you have?

Here's another projections site that works; http://footballguys.com/currentproj-qb.htm you have to click in the one cell and edit query and select the proper table but once you do that, all's well.

i am unable to get that site to work...

it pulls in a (dot) and the word "articles"...

what do you mean by:

"click in the one cell and edit query and select the proper table"

Here's another projections site that works; http://footballguys.com/currentproj-qb.htm you have to click in the one cell and edit query and select the proper table but once you do that, all's well.

i am unable to get that site to work...

it pulls in a (dot) and the word "articles"...

what do you mean by:

and reading the setup page again i see what to do...

:unsure:

fyi:

using "21" as the table to bring in cleans all the crap out...

on the qb page, haven't done others yet..

Hi Zippychi,

what do you mean by:

From Mike:

The troubleshooting step, point #6 in the instructions, is pretty important:

Troubleshooting Step

6. If the projections appeared on the tab in Projection Pal (they should appear below and to the right of the

grey highlighted cells), proceed to step 7. If the projections did not appear on the tab, do this:

> Click on the cell at intersection 1:1 (referring to the grey highlighted cells; actually cell B9 in Excel),

right-click with your mouse and select Edit Query.

> You should see a box appear which brings up a webpage of the projections you are trying to import. There

will be various yellow arrow and green checkmark icons on the page indicating web tables. Uncheck all of the

checkmarks. Check only the arrow for the table of player projections you want to import. Click the Import

button. Now the projections should appear.

I didn't really know how to describe but when it happened to me I had to reread the instructions.

Don.

Romulan and Mike I'm having the same problems I'm using excel 97 SR2.

run-time error 438

object doesn't support this property or method

.PreserveFormatting = False - is highlighted when I debug. When I delete this then .AdjustColumnWidth = False is highlighted. there is a list of others that get highlighted after that.

If either of you have a solution for this (besides getting an earlier version of excel) I would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day.

Grizzly, instead of using the button to import the data, follow the steps in step 6 of the instructions and see what happens. Namely, on the cell at intersection 1:1 (referring to the grey highlighted cells; actually cell B9 in Excel), right-click with your mouse and select Edit Query. If you see the projections you are trying to import are highlighted or selected, then hit Import. Did that work?

Thanks for your quick reply.

When I right-click on edit query I get the following message...

'This external data range contains data from a web query. Web queries can not be edited.'

Is there a "refresh data" option? Damn I wish I had kept my old computer with Excel 97. Gave it to the parents who needed :rolleyes: the Internet at home but can barely work a mouse :mad:

Mike I have excel 2003 at my office, it works great. I will keep working with excel 97 I will let you know if I get it to work, but I do have another option. Thanks for your help.

I have imported all the data into the projection pal okay but when I hit the copy to compiler button, the compiler opens and I get the following message

run time error '1004'

application-defined or object-defined error

non of the data is transfered to the compiler

what am I doing wrong? I am using Microsoft Excel 2000.

If the Compiler opens properly (that would have been my first guess), then I'm not sure what exactly the problem would be. Does it give you the option to "Debug" the error? If so hit Debug, copy and paste the highlighted section of code here so we can target where the specific problem occurs.

Also...

- what tab are you working from?

- try having the Compiler open in the background prior to clicking the Copy to Compiler button

Kenzies - I think there is going to be a problem with those projections in that they do not include the full name of the player, only the first initial of the first name.

Mike,

I do think there is away around the full name problem, if someone is willing to put in the few minutes of work. When you get the data downloaded to the "Raw" pages, you can change the name column that is downloaded and enter the full first name (rather than just the first initial). As long as it's spelled the same way that FFtoday does, it should still download to the compiler.

The reason I found this out is that I used the football docs website and brought in their projections. Everything worked fine (once I figured out how to get their 2 pages of projections into the raw page), except that JP Losman's figures wouldn't transfer over to the "clean" page and compiler. After looking at it, FFtoday spelled his name J.P., while football docs used JP (no periods). I changed it to J.P. on the raw page, copied to the compiler again, and presto, it worked.

I guess the bottom line is that if you have another site with projections that you STRONGLY want to use but they don't use full names, in my opinion it's worth the 5-10 minutes per position that it would take to enter 1st names than to do without those projections. With that being said, I would enter that site's info as late as possible, because I would hate to change all the names, then download a projection update from that site right before my draft and have to re-enter all the names.

Mike,

I have a question for you. What happens to the numbers in the situation that: 1) another site doesn't use every statistic that FFTODAY does, and 2) another site doesn't have stats for every player that FFTODAY does?

For example, if in my compiler I'm using 50% FFTODAY and 50% Site B to make my cheatsheets (by the way, I'll probably never use less than 75% FFTODAY but for this question it makes the math easier), then I'm assuming it will just average those 2 figures.

Example: 2,000 yd FFTODAY projection and 1,000 yd Site B projection will show a 1,500 yd projection for the purposes of the cheatsheet.

But what if this same player isn't listed on Site B? Will his number now show as 1,000 (2,000 + 0 divided by 2 = 1,000), or will the cheatsheet compiler automatically see that Site B provided no number and use 100% of the FFTODAY number by default? The same question applies to those situations in which Site B doesn't list all the stat categories that FFTODAY does? Will it cut those stats in half or use 100% FFTODAY?

Hopefully my question makes sense. I looked around for this specific question on this site and on the FAQs and didn't see it. I apologize if it's already been answered.

Shouldn't your handle be "the" ohiostfb? :rolleyes:

Good info on the name/first initial thing. Absolutely it will work if you input the first names, but I was trying to keep things simple by saying if you only have first initials then it won't work. The basic principle is the names have to match, exactly. I forced Projection Pal to look through and clean up a few names that have common different spellings/formats, like Eddie "Boo" Williams and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams. Missed J.P. Losman and likely any others like that with initials for names.

If a person is a fast typer, then they can probably input the first names pretty quickly.

On your next set of questions, from your example it will reduce the projections in half for players where there are FF Today projections, but not projections in the Site B section (using a 50/50 allocation split).

Also, on the stats categories where there are no stats present, it will cut them in half as well.

Most blank cells are read as 0 (zero). I think the formulas are pretty complicated now it would really increase the size of them to add a "check if blank, do this if blank, do this if not blank" function.

However, something you could do to solve the stat category one is copy and paste the FF Today projections for all players into the Site B (or C) section where appropriate.

You could also do the same for players, but it will be a little more work going through and identifying which ones are missing projections in each set. A tip for identifying them... run the Compile Cheatsheets once, track them down (they will more or less group towards the ends of the rankings), copy-paste and then re-run the Compile Cheatsheets.

So I guess most people are having good success with Projection Pal? Good stuff.

If the Compiler opens properly (that would have been my first guess), then I'm not sure what exactly the problem would be. Does it give you the option to "Debug" the error? If so hit Debug, copy and paste the highlighted section of code here so we can target where the specific problem occurs.

Also...

- try having the Compiler open in the background prior to clicking the Copy to Compiler button

I have tried exporting with or without the compiler open first and from the QB Raw and RB Raw tabs. When I open the debugger, this is what is highlighted

Selection.Replace What:=" ®", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _

SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _

ReplaceFormat:=False

Well, all that is supposed to be doing is taking out the ® symbols we use in the Compiler to identify rookies so the names will match up from the projections imported. Try removing that, and re-running it. This is the first I've heard of this issue from anyone so I'm still unsure what would be causing it.

Is the Compiler filename specified in Projection Pal identical to the Compiler filename you are trying to add projections to, including the .xls on the end of the filename?

Also...

I have tried exporting with or without the compiler open first and from the QB Raw and RB Raw tabs. When I open the debugger, this is what is highlighted

Selection.Replace What:=" ®", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _

SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _

ReplaceFormat:=False

Hey Mike,

I'm having the same problem with copying to the compiler. The file names were different: Pal saying 1.0 instead of 1.1. I changed that but the problem exists...