Sign in to follow this  
Rich Maddock

Drop Down List REQUEST

The drop down list are great, I don't want to seem ungrateful, but they are DRIVING ME NUTS! Everytime after the first pick, when you make your next pick you have to SCROLL UP FROM THE BOTTOM of the list to find your guy. I think I figured out why. Since the new cell you are coming from is a BLANK and you have put you blank on the BOTTOM of the list. Would it be too much trouble to move the blank to the TOP of the list. YES I KNOW IT IS NIT PICKING but I am a linear person and as the draft dude for my league, it would keep me a little more SANE! :D

THANKS

Commish

Tampa Bay Fantasy Football League - TBFFL.com

I've tried for hours and hours to get the darn thing to start at the top and still take players off the list, to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

The best way to quickly jump to the top of the list is to hit HOME rather than scrolling.

DOH!

Oh well atleast it is nice to know that I am not alone in my quest to figure it out. HOME key it will be then.

THANKS!

I recall from last year that I could just type in the first few letters of the player's name and it would fill in. Personally I liked that better than the drop down, is there any way I can put that feature in?

Thanks.

Actually plod, last year you needed to type in first initial and the entire last name (spelled correctly - just how many got Fuamatu-Ma'afala right?) and if there was more than one player like this Tim Brown, Troy Brown, Travis Brown all equal T Brown, then you needed to keep adding numbers on the end until you got the right one. I like the drop-downs better because there is less typing, plus Buddy's performance is better than under the old method.

I agree with PLOD - but you too Mike. There were several times when I misspelled names and it drove me nuts. Somewhere a happy medium needs to be found.

What about just entering the last name, with auto complete on? Similar to when you are attempting to select a State from a Drop down. If you are attempting to select Illinois, Just click I twice & whoala you got it.

Just a thought...what do you think?

You don't have to use the drop down boxes. If you just type in the name you're looking for it'll find it and fill in the team and bye week #. It won't find the name as you're typing, but if you type the full name correctly it'll find the info for you.

So it's almost the best of both worlds, but overall it's a nice option between the two.

Chris

Is there a way for the names to disappear from the drop down list once that person has been drafted? Could you make that update? For instance, If Michael Vick is chosen first, can you make it so that he is not an option later on in the draft. This would do wonderous things in making sure nobody gets picked twice when it starts getting to the bottom of the barrel. It is a good check as well as a time-saver. Can you make that happen?

Actually that does happen. You've probably just entered a few picks really quick and Excel hadn't finished calculating yet. Give it a second to catch up and you'll see the names are not in the drop down list anymore.

BTW- you can see the progress of Excel calculating by looking in the lower left hand corner of the sheet. Once it reaches 100% before you pull the drop down list again the name will be gone.

Chris

thanks chris, you were right and i guess i was too quick on the trigger.

clearly showing why i am the rookie

seh2000:

I agree with PLOD - but you too Mike. There were several times when I misspelled names and it drove me nuts. Somewhere a happy medium needs to be found.

What about just entering the last name, with auto complete on? Similar to when you are attempting to select a State from a Drop down. If you are attempting to select Illinois, Just click I twice & whoala you got it.

Just a thought...what do you think?

Sounds great, but I don't think Excel knows how to auto-complete cells by typing in the first few letters.

Mike MacGregor

Sounds great, but I don't think Excel knows how to auto-complete cells by typing in the first few letters. [/QB]

Actually, Excel can do auto-complete but the functionality is limited. If you have a list of names in a column and go to the first blank cell below the list, when you start typing it will pull up matches for you. I'm not sure if it only works in the first cell after the list or any cell in that column. At a minimum, you would need a list of every player included somewhere in the Draft Input column for this to work. I expect it is not quite that simple, though.

I was messing around with this for a few minutes and I couldn't get it to work the way we would all like. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out....

The main problem I have with Buddy is it just takes too long to get the players in. Most people select their pick within 30 seconds of their turn. Once team 1 selects I have to minimize the window to get to Buddy, select the position, select the name, then minimize Buddy to get back to draft. By then at least 2 more teams have selected so I go back and do it again. By the time it is my pick I'm like 3-5 players behind. So using the time it takes to finish placing those players in Buddy, then searching the overall rankings to look for highest player under the settings, everyone in draft is cussing me out for taking so long. And if you have to get up for any reason eg phone, bathroom, fridge, screaming kids, etc. you can forget about trying to catch up.

Any suggestions to help speed things up? Personally I just print the cheatsheets and overall rankings and mark off players with highlighter and dont bother using Buddy at all.

-Issac

Frink for your question about setting up so it will be easier to use draft buddy during the draft.

What I do is basically split my screen in two, on the left hand side I set up the draft buddy so all I see is the area I am going to enter the information on the Draft input tab. On the right side I set it up with the draft room. It works really good with the yahoo system don't know about other sites but that is how I do it.

GentleDragon,

Thanks I use yahoo and I will try that tonight. I thought that because I use AOL that when I click on 1 screen it automatically minimizes the back screen into the taskbar that I could not try this. However I can open Explorer and use it for my browser instead and dont seem to have that problem. I appriciate the info, this should work for me tonight.

-Issac

Guys - Hopefully I am not jumping the gun here, but we are making progress on the drop-downs. More info to come soon. Keep your fingers crossed.