Sign in to follow this  
basketcase

scoring values

I'm in a league where the point system is not a straight forward 1 point for every 20 yrs for rushing and receiving,etc . Is there anyway to say for 20-49 yrds 1 point, 50-74 yrds is 2 points, 75-99 yrds is 4 points, 100-124 yrds is 7 points, etc.

I have a similar problem with passing yards.

Thanks -

basketcase, the Compiler cannot copy your scoring exactly because it is what I call tiered scoring (different points for different levels of performance). Here is how I would handle your scoring though:

0-24 yards = 0 points; midpoint = 10 yards = 0 pt/yard

25-49 = 1 point; mid = 37 = 0.027

50-74 = 2 points; mid = 62 = 0.032

75-99 = 4 points; mid = 87 = 0.046

100-124 = 7 points; mid = 112 = 0.0625

Anything over 125 yards I wouldn't get too fussed about because it won't happen that often. Not something we can rely on anyway, since 100 yards is considered a good day. Consider it a bonus over 125.

I also am not too concerned about the 0-24 yard category at 0 points. One would hope that barring injury, you're never going to start someone who can't even manage 25 yards in a game.

So, that leaves the next 4 ranges. In fact, unless your league is exceptionally deep, you should be getting at least 50 yards a game most of the time, so let's drop that range too. That leaves 3. They are:

50-74 = 2 points; mid = 62 = 0.032

75-99 = 4 points; mid = 87 = 0.046

100-124 = 7 points; mid = 112 = 0.0625

An average of these is 0.046. I don't think we should go above 0.046 points per yard. Maybe even a little less to account for that 50 to 74 yard range so the lower ranked players who are not a lock for 75 yards in a game aren't overstated too much.

I think I would go with anywhere from 0.040 to 0.046 points per yard in the Compiler. How about trying that and seeing what you think.

Then do similar analysis for passing yards.

That is how I handle tiered scoring systems. By breaking it down and coming up with a number that closely approximates your scoring to fit in the Compiler. Since we are dealing with esimates anyway (projections), and all players are being scored the same way which is close to your scoring, it should not negatively effect the rankings results.