Sign in to follow this  
Pigskin Fanatic

Problems getting started

Hi Mike,

Ok, I've bought the compiler & buddy spreadsheets but I'm having trouble getting started. Yes, it may be something simple but I'm lost, and I've tried everthing that I could think of first. I open the files and click enable macros, to get started. When I do this, I get two error messages. They are in order: 1. Could not registar the visual basic environment (please run setup) 2. An error occurred initializing the VBA libraries (1157). Ok Mike, how do I run the "setup" and what is the VBA libraries? Your help getting started would be much appreciated, as well as any other issues that I may encounter. Thank you!

P.S.

How do I take the compiler and put it into buddy? Just wondering.....

Hi Pigskin,

Let's see if we can help you here. What versions of Microsoft Excel and Windows are you using?

Also, there's no need really to "put" Compiler into Buddy. (Maybe, I'm not understaiding the question though...?) As long as the two files are in the same folder on your computer, they should work together without putting one into the other.

Perhaps there are separate Visual Basic modules not installed with your version of Excel, but I've never heard of that before. PF - didn't you have the Compiler up and running already this season? What happened since then?

I'm on the road now but let me investigate this further when I return home (late tonight or Sunday).

As for how the Compiler and Buddy work together, like Mike said you should have them in the same directory on your computer. Start in the Compiler and work there until you're happy with the cheatsheets it created. Then open Buddy, input the EXACT file name of the Compiler you want to pull the cheatsheets from. Fill in the rest of Buddy variables and hit the setup button. Everyone should copy over and then you work in Buddy from there.

Hi Mike's!

I appreciate both of your help in getting me going. First off, I am a new customer of yours. I have never used compiler or buddy before, although I have been using a VBD spreadsheets that I delevoped in excel for previous drafts. I am willing to try compiler/buddy to see how it works compared to mine (which will also save me a lot of "entering data" time).

I am using MS Office 97 & Windows 98 to answer your question. As I stated earlier, I have tried everything that I can think of first. I tried re-starting my computer, opening up other excel spreadsheets, to even trying to run "setup.exe" which just redid Windows 98. I have never seen these error messages before & they have my stumped. Again, the two of yours help is greatly appreciated. I also have another question. The compiler folder is setup in my "D" drive but when I try to open the folder, nothing's is inside of it. I find my compiler/buddy spreadsheets in my program files also in my "D" drive. The question is why do I have an empty compiler folder? Thanks guys & I await your response.

Pigskin Fanatic

PF - I thought from some prior posts that you had the Compiler up and running. Unfortuantely, I have Excel XP running, so this might be a bit different, but work with me here.

1. Go to Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs.

2. Is Microsoft Office listed? If it is, then try to click on it an option to "change" settings or something like that. Do Not Remove!

3. Now once you're in there, we need to see if Visual Basic is installed. See something that says "Add/Remove Features"? Try that and search for Visual Basic. It will probably be under a generic Office Tool heading rather than just Excel.

What do you see at this point? Does it appear Visual Basic is installed or not? I'm guessing from your first post it is not installed for some reason. From this part of the Control Panel though you should be able to install that feature by switching to VB on/install, and it will prompt you for the MS Office disk.

Let us know how that goes.

Hi Mike,

Ok, I went to control panel & add/remove programs and Microsoft Office is NOT listed. But I may have an explanation that may or may not help. My Computer disc drive has been partitioned off into a few drives. In my "H" drive, under Program files, is Mircosoft Office 97 Pro. Why it doesn't show up in the control panel under add/remove programs is beyond me, I am not a computer person by any means. I can & have used Mircosoft Execl on this computer before. I can open a new Excel spreadsheet with no problems Mike. I'm not sure if having Mircosoft Office in my "H" drive is messing me up or not. Does this help any?

PF

So, this computer is running off a network then, perhaps at work?

Let me ask you this: In Excel, can you choose Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor? Is that option there? Does the Editor open in a new window? It really sounds like Visual Basic is not installed which is why you're getting the odd error messages.

Hi MIke,

Nope, this computer is not networked, it's my home PC. I tried your suggestion of Tools>Macros>visual basic editor. I seen n it but when I clicked on editor I again received the same error messages, as before. So I then tried a couple of different things. First I downloaded Mircosoft visual basic 6.0 runtime. I then tried run the excel spreadsheets but again the error messages appeared. So the last thing that I could think of was re-installing my Microsoft Office 97 Pro. And this did the trick Mike. I am now able to open up both Compiler & Buddy with no problems. I'm just not sure what the problem was to begin with, but by re-installing Office, it cleared everything up. Thanks for your assistance, it was greatly appreciated!

Pigskin Fanatic

Not sure how helpful I actually was but glad you're back up and running. Good stuff.