Sign in to follow this  
Dolemite

Compiler Overall Ranking

I set up the parameters of the compiler and the overall ranking list was ridiculous.... ie.e: Stephen Alexander was ranked first!?!?!?!

My league scoring is pretty standard. I took away all individual Defensive position scoring.

I left the Allocation Methods with the defaults.

12 team league

Used VBD #1

set the backup and total team numbers to 0. Because we have no specific draft standard other than a mandatory 1 QB; 2 RB; 2 WR; 1 TE; 1 K; 1 D

Left the Baseline as default.

Why is Stephen Alexander ranked #1 overall?? :confused: What am I missing?? :confused:

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Dolemite ]

Dolemite,

I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a question for you...

Are you a buffalo Bills fan that listens to Schleigho?

if so, drop me a line here in Erie, PA...

G (skinny43)

Dolemite - First time using this spreadsheet, but I'll try to give you a hand. What do you mean by setting the total team numbers to zero? The total team numbers should be read-only and you shouldn't muck with them -- they are simply an addition of the Starters + Backup columns. I assume you are talking about the settings on the "parameters" tab.

Dolemite,

I tried to recreate the parameters you mentioned, but I'm a bit confused by your comments on backups and team totals. If I set all starters and backups to 0 I get Rabih Abdullah as my #1 overall.

Actually, I think I get it now. You should only change the fields on the parameters sheet that are colored yellow. By changing the team total column to 0 beside each position it could have screwed something up. These numbers help drive the position baselines to create the overall cheatsheet.

When the Compiler sorts all players to input into the overall ranking, it does it first by the VB ranking number (driven by baseline), and then by alphabetic. If baselines are messed up, then it will be sorted by alphabetic. This explains why I got Abdullah as #1 overall above. Something similar must have happened to you with a minor change.

To fix this, you can do one of two things.

1. Re-download the Compiler and start over.

2. Just fix the formulas in that Total Team column on the parameters sheet. Formula for each position should be just add starter + backup cells.

Might be easier to just download again. Hope that helps and respond back to let us know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for looking in to that Mike. I went and looked at my saved compiler settings and, to tell you the truth, I have know idea what I was thinking. I went in and changed the backups and team totals back to the defaults, this fixed the problems.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the backups are suppossed to be the maximum number of players you can have behind a starter at any given position, right?

That's why I set it to zero, because we do not have that limitation.

Thanks for your help!

To Skinny.. I am a Detroit Lions fan that listens to just about anything (including Lions management)!

The data inputted under the Backup column only really comes into play if you choose a VBD method that uses "X players drafted" (methods 2 or 4) rather than "X starters drafted" (methods 1 or 3).

It is not the maximum allowed at each position. Any league I've been in has not set any min/max on roster/positions other than (a) need to field a complete starting lineup and (:) overall roster limit. This is the way I think pretty much all leagues should operate to give the owner maximum flexibility to make roster management decisions.

I typically put the starters and backups in the Compiler as the number at each position that I expect the average team in my leagues to field/draft. Even if I'm in a league with 1-2 RB, 3-4 WR flex option, I'll usually just put in 2 RB, 3 WR starters because most teams will want to draft this way, plus appropriate backups at each position. The sum of the Total Team column should equal the overall roster limit.

sorry, brah...

had to check...

a bud of mine has the same handle on another board...

peas

S43