Sign in to follow this  
spidersauce

Tweaking Baselines in the Cheatsheet Compiler

One nice feature that the boys have included in the Cheatsheet Compiler is the ability to adjust or "tweak" the baselines on a position by position basis.

So, for instance, if you and/or your league values RBs a lot, you can increase the baseline number from 1.00 to 1.25. This will then increase the value of the RBs (at least I think this is how it works).

What I'm curious about is how others are looking at the tweaking of these baselines. Mike McGregor, perhaps you can weigh in.

I'm in a 12 team league that awards 3 points for passing TDs and 6 points for rushing/receiving. Plus we start 3 WRs. So in my league, RBs and arguably WRs are worth more than QBs.

But as far as tweaking my baselines, I just arbitrarily came up with the 1.25 baseline number for RBs. There's no science there.

So I'm curious if anyone has looked at this and has any suggestions.

Hey man. I hadn't forgotten this, but I was out all last night (until early this morning) at a draft so I couldn't respond until now.

Personally, I don't use the BAF very much. It was added as a feature mostly for others to enjoy and play around with. I might upgrade a RB to say a 1.2 or drop WR to a 0.9 in some circumstances, but for the most part, I use the overall list the way it spits it out with no adjustment. I do however take K and DEF right out of the overall rankings since I will always draft those later. That was a good suggestion who ever sent that one to me earlier this year :)

Like others are finding though, I probably would not draft a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens at the #2 or #3 spots even if they show up there in my overall rankings (with no BAF adjustment). If that is what the Compiler shows though, I will just keep them at those spots and use the overall list as a guide instead of a definitive draft list. I like to keep a lot of flexibility in my decision making rather than going into a draft with a rigid "I will draft this player, then this player, then this player... list".

I think past experience drafting helps in that respect. The way I figure, if I'm in a 12 team league draft (for example), then I can really only control 1/12th of what is going on, so there isn't a dire need for me to analyse every single player to debate and decide one is better than the other. Put 'em in tiers and see where they fall. Probably not a philosophy a lot of people agree with, but it works for me. Fantasy football is just for fun after all, right? (Have I gotten off topic yet?) ;)

I'll tell you what I use them for. After looking into AVT (average value theory) and really liking what I saw, I use the Baseline Tweaking to help approximate the draft order suggested by AVT but still using the great projections from here at FF Today and other sites, plus my own prognostications. Maybe I'm just making myself feel better, but I think it helps bring projections into line with the historical data without having to struggle with a list of rules.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Rotogar ]