Sign in to follow this  
tenacious_b

Fixed Run-Time Excel 97 and 2000 Issue (by Mike; was Compiler -- Errors)

I bought the Cheatsheet Compiler, but I can't compile! Without making any changes to the compiler, and with making changes I get the same error:

"Run-time error 1004

Sort method of range class failed"

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know whether this error is machine specific or not, but it seems odd that it won't compile even without changes.

[ 06-24-2003: Message edited by: Mike MacGregor ]

Here's the code from the Macro that is having the problem:

Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("R80"), Order1:=xlDescending, Key2:=Range( _

"O80"), Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase _

:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

t_b - What Windows and Office versions are you using? Give me a little more code around this so I can see exactly the point where the problem occurs. I will look at this ASAP and get back to you.

Originally posted by Mike MacGregor:

t_b - What Windows and Office versions are you using? Give me a little more code around this so I can see exactly the point where the problem occurs. I will look at this ASAP and get back to you.

Here's more:

Range("F4").Select

Sheets("cheatsheets").Select

Range("O80:R177").Select

Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("R80"), Order1:=xlDescending, Key2:=Range( _

"O80"), Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase _

:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

It seems the macro is hanging up right after doing whatever it does with the "DB" worksheet. I tried a bunch of scoring and player number configurations, but they all returned the same error.

I use Windows 2000, Microsoft Excel 2000 (Version 9.00.4119 SR-1). At home I use Office XP, but I haven't tried the compiler there yet.

Well, it looks like it works on my home computer. I don't know what's wrong with my work computer. I guess you should still hunt the problem down in case other people have problems on their home computers.

I'm getting the exact same error, running the comiler with or without inputing scoring variables, etc. I'm running Windows ME and Excel 9.0.

Hey guys. I've made one minor change which I think should fix the problem. Based on my testing, it fixes it in Excel 2000 anyway. My old computer with Excel 97 went belly up on me.

[EDIT: scratch my old idea]

If you have Excel 2000, or Excel 97, which appear to be the culprits in this problem, and your cheatsheets are not compiling, I will email you the updated file. Just let me know if you haven't already. Please include the email address that was used for your PayPal account, plus first and last name so I can confirm your order.

If you buy starting now, you will get the updated file.

[ 06-23-2003: Message edited by: Mike MacGregor ]

I received my download connection via a Pay Pal window, not a e-mail, and I can't access that particular window again. Would you send e-mail with link so that I can download new version?