Sign in to follow this  
Haverchuck

Delay

I just purchased the product for the first time and I am playing around with it to become familiar with it. I am experiencing a delay when typing in new information. For example, on the draft buddy, in the draft input tab when I choose RB, there is about a 30 second delay until I can then choose Priest Holmes. Then there is another 30 second delay or so before I can go to the next player. I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't think that it is my computer, because I have a very fast one with a lot of extra memory. Just wondering if there was anything to help with this. Thanks.

I think the only thing that can be causing a delay like that is memory and computer speed. Now, if the computer is typically fast with lots of memory, things to try are closing other programs that aren't needed, closing other Excel files (like the Compiler) as it isn't needed when working in Buddy and this, the ultimate of all tech support responses, re-boot the computer. I notice when my computer has been on for a long time it seems to drag.

Now, if you are still experiencing a problem, here is something to try:

1. Make sure Buddy is set up the way you want (cheatsheets copied from Compiler, draft input tab constructed properly after running Buddy Setup).

2. Close Draft Buddy.

3. Open Draft Buddy, hit Disable Macros.

4. Change Excel's calculation setting to Manual by choose Tools > Option > Calculation.

5. Do your inputs, and then only sporadically hit F9 to calculate all the way through Draft Buddy.

The downfall of this solution is the timer won't work, but if your live draft doesn't give a lot of time between picks and/or the computer is lagging, this might be something worth trying.

At any rate Haverchuck, I'm glad you are giving Buddy appropriate time to test it out to get comfortable with how it works, as everyone should. Cheers.

Thanks for quick reply. I will try some of these things to see if they work. I think by closing the compiler, it will work faster. I have only had this product for a couple of hours and I don't see how I ever went into a draft without it. Thanks for the great work.

Disabling the Macros was the only thing that made it not delay. However, if I do not hit F9 the other tabs do not update. When I do hit F9, I get the same delay as if the macros was enabled and a message comes up explaining the macros and how I should change the setting to medium or low.

Its true the other tabs do not update when macros are disabled, calc is set to manual and you do not hit F9. In fact, nothing will update with those settings until you hit F9. The advantage of using F9 is you can pace it to update every few picks so you don't experience so many delays. Say, do it when the notorious slow drafter in your group is on the clock :thumbsup:

Beyond that I can't understand why the delay would be so long. The way Buddy is set up and intended to operate (with macros enabled), most of the tabs only update as you flip to them. This should make things faster.

When I select a position and/or player I notice a short delay. Say, 2-3 seconds. And I'm not using a particularly top of the line computer. Its a P4 2.4 Ghz w/ 512 MB RAM, and I usually have Outlook, IE and perhaps another spreadsheet (Compiler) running in the background. This is running Buddy in Excel 2002.

For comparison purposes, what is your setup?

Just to put in my own experience....I believe that Mike is correct about computer speed affecting these programs. The last two years with my old computer, the draft buddy was very slow to update when things were added to it. This year I have a new computer and am experiencing no such delays. :P

Old Computer - AMD 550MHz processor, 256MB RAM, OS Windows 98 2nd Ed :lol:

New Computer - AMD 1.7GHz processor, 512MB RAM, OS Windows XP :wub:

Sorry to say, you may have to be patient with your computer until it is time to upgrade :o

PS-It is still VERY MUCH worth the wait to use these programs!!

My computer is slower than I origionally thought when I checked it. Intel Celeron processor, 431 MHz and 440 MB of RAM with Windows XP. That explains the delay. It is still an amzing product that I very happy that I now have.