sack: 2 pts

INT/FF/FR: 2 pts

Safety: 2 pts

Def/PR/KR TD: 6 pts

Rosters

* 18 man roster

* no minimum or maximum position rules

Keeper Rules

Keeper values will be determined by the draft spot that a player was chosen. A player can be kept for the following season by giving up a draft pick for the following year (-3 rounds from where the player was selected).

Example: You draft a good player in round 7. In order to keep this player the following year, you would have to give up your 4th round selection. To keep a player that you picked up in round 10, you would give up your 7th round pick the next year.

The same players can be kept the following year by giving up the new draft pick spot - 3 rounds. So, the 2 players above would cost a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick respectively.

In this system, no one taken in the top 3 rounds can be kept the following year. This will ensure a year to year change over of the known studs and will reward you for the late round steals.

Player A is drafted in round 17 and breaks out.

This year: 17th round

year2: 14th round

year3: 11th round

year6: 2nd round

year7: back in the draft

* Free agents picked up during the season cannot be keepers and are back in the draft the next season.

Playoffs

* 14 team league

* 8 teams make the playoffs

* Home field advantage: The team that is the higher seed in the playoff matchups will get to field an extra player for playoff games. This player can be any position player on your roster. It cannot be a defence or a QB.

* EDIT NOTE: For the SB, both teams field an extra player.

Note: My local leagues have used this home field rule for the past 5 years. It is not as big an advantage as you may think. The home team has won approx 65% of the time. It rewards teams for having a strong regular season and attempts to minimize the luck factor in the playoffs.

Starting Lineups

QB, 2 RBs, 2WRs, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 TE, iK, 1 Def

Free Agents

* Based on Yahoos system. Teams receive a priority ranking based on standings and recent activity.

DRAFT

* Preferably a live draft. Last year, MFL software was a good tool for drafting teams. It will be difficult to agree on a date where all 14 players are available. Failing that, we will conduct the draft on this message board.

Other Notes

We use a free software provided by Yahoo or if there is a better one out there that is free, we will use that. Sometimes free software limits the rules that can be used, so some changes may occur based on restrictions.

The above rules are FINAL!

[ 07-28-2003: Message edited by: Walter34 ]

First off.. what up fockers..

Originally posted by Walter34:

Scoring:

passing yrds: 1 pt for 25 yds

passing tds: 4 pts for TD pass

Ints: -1 pt

2 pt conv: 2 pts

10 yds rush/rec: 1 pt

TD rush/rec: 6 pts

2 pt conv: 2 pts

rec: 1 pt

xpt: 1 pt

FG (0-39): 3 pts

FG (40-49): 4 pts

FG (50+): 5 pts

0 pts against: 10 pts

1-10 pts against: 7 pts

11-20 pts against: 4 pts

sack: 2 pts

INT/FF/FR: 2 pts

Safety: 2 pts

Def/PR/KR TD: 6 pts

Rosters

* 18 man roster

* no minimum or maximum position rules

Keeper Rules

Keeper values will be determined by the draft spot that a player was chosen. A player can be kept for the following season by giving up a draft pick for the following year (-3 rounds from where the player was selected).

Example: You draft a good player in round 7. In order to keep this player the following year, you would have to give up your 4th round selection. To keep a player that you picked up in round 10, you would give up your 7th round pick the next year.

The same players can be kept the following year by giving up the new draft pick spot - 3 rounds. So, the 2 players above would cost a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick respectively.

In this system, no one taken in the top 3 rounds can be kept the following year. This will ensure a year to year change over of the known studs and will reward you for the late round steals.

Player A is drafted in round 17 and breaks out.

This year: 17th round

year2: 14th round

year3: 11th round

year6: 2nd round

year7: back in the draft

* Free agents picked up during the season cannot be keepers and are back in the draft the next season.

Playoffs

* 14 team league

* 8 teams make the playoffs

* Home field advantage: The team that is the higher seed in the playoff matchups will get to field an extra player for playoff games. This player can be any position player on your roster. It cannot be a defence.

Note: My local leagues have used this home field rule for the past 5 years. It is not as big an advantage as you may think. The home team has won approx 65% of the time. It rewards teams for having a strong regular season and attempts to minimize the luck factor in the playoffs.

Starting Lineups

QB, 2 RBs, 2WRs, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 TE, iK, 1 Def

Free Agents

* Based on Yahoos system. Teams receive a priority ranking based on standings and recent activity.

DRAFT

* Preferably a live draft. Last year, MFL software was a good tool for drafting teams. It will be difficult to agree on a date where all 14 players are available. Failing that, we will conduct the draft on this message board.

Other Notes

We use a free software provided by Yahoo or if there is a better one out there that is free, we will use that. Sometimes free software limits the rules that can be used, so some changes may occur based on restrictions.

The above rules are a base that is a suggestion at this point. We can discuss or change any rules based on majority decision, so feel free to voice opinions and b!tch, piss and moan if you like.

love all rules with two exceptions..

fg scoring should only have one break down.. no way IMO should a FG ever be worth more than a passing TD.. i say 3 under 50, 4 over. second, I really don't like the homefield extra player rule as it stands. I love the concept, but wouldn't it be better to give the hometeam a 5 point bonus and automatic tiebreaker over their opponet. it would still give them an edge and not cripple the other team.. not that it matters much to me.. i'll be the one with the extra guy through out. ;)

Originally posted by indybearsfan:

not that it matters much to me.. i'll be the one with the extra guy through out.   ;)

i don't think you understood walt's post indy...the extra guy is only for owner's who make the playoffs. :mad:

-tend to agree w/the 5pts for fg's...what'd we do last year?

-not sure how i feel about the "extra player" in playoffs...have to think about that one.

-anybody have the list of top 10 at each position in THIS LEAGUE LAST YEAR.

the proposed scoring as for as rec yds is different than last year and want to see how much of a change it is(last year 1 pt per 20yds rec)

think it should be changed to standard 1pt per 10yds rec though as to increase value of wr's/te's...just curious to what degree their value will increase.

oh yeah, how many keepers?

i'm of the "only 2-3" camp.

imo makes the choice/s of who to keep more challenging/important when you can only keep 2-3.

Originally posted by NAn:

oh yeah, how many keepers?

i'm of the "only 2-3" camp.

imo makes the choice/s of who to keep more challenging/important when you can only keep 2-3.

I was thinking as many keepers as you want. In order for the keeper to have value he will have to be at least 3 rounds better then when you got him. I would expect 3 to 5 would be the avg. I would like a system so that a good drafter can be rewarded for selecting good keepers.

Maybe a minimum number is necessary however.

This could spur some late season trading activity as some teams may want to trade a stud for a keeper late in the year if they are out of the playoffs. The playoff teams will be scrambling to trade for those last peices to the puzzle and offering up players for next season.

The man advantage in this format will not be as big a factor as you may think and it adds to the strategy near the end of the year where the top teams will have to plan ahead who they will use. It will end up being a Dez White or freddie Mitchell type of player or maybe a backup qb, certainly not a stud.

My 2 local leagues have done this for years and it really puts an emphasis on the regular season and rewards the top 4 teams in the standings instead of the playoffs just being a crapshoot where a mediocre team comes up with a good week.

As I said, the home team has won about 65% of the time in the past 5 or 6 years. Upsets happen and it makes things somewhsat more realistic with the advantage.

As for the scoring, the above is pretty much standard FF scoring.

WR with 100-1500-15 numbers = 340

RB with 2000 yds, 15 Tds, 60 rec = 350

QB with 4000 yds, 30 TDs, 10 Ints, 400-5 rush = 380

Having the top QB, RB, WR with similar ceilings makes the 1st round pretty interesting as all positions are viable options.

okay, however # of keepers each owner wants makes sense and this format sounds like adds to stragety.

not necessarily against the "extra player" in playoffs, just like to hear others thoughts.

scoring makes MUCH more sense too.

Count me with indybearsfan on not wanting to see a field goal worth more than any type of TD.

Also, if we're going to penalize for INTs - which is good, IMO (should be more ;) ) - then we should penalize for Fumbles. Otherwise, we're beating up the QBs, and giving a greater advantage to the RBs.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Originally posted by Dan:

Count me with indybearsfan on not wanting to see a field goal worth more than any type of TD.

Also, if we're going to penalize for INTs - which is good, IMO (should be more   ;) ) - then we should penalize for Fumbles.  Otherwise, we're beating up the QBs, and giving a greater advantage to the RBs.

Just a couple of thoughts.

except that QBs traditionally lead the league in fumbles as well dont they? Bobbled snaps and handoffs happen quite often and the qb gets the bad stat.

If anyone has any stats on this, post it please.

I dont have any strong feelings about the FG issue. Whatever everyone wants. Even with the bonus pts, a kicker will still get under 20 pts on a monster day. They have limited opportunities for pts.

except that QBs traditionally lead the league in fumbles as well dont they? Bobbled snaps and handoffs happen quite often and the qb gets the bad stat.

If anyone has any stats on this, post it please.

I dont have any strong feelings about the FG issue. Whatever everyone wants. Even with the bonus pts, a kicker will still get under 20 pts on a monster day. They have limited opportunities for pts.

My reasoning regarding the fumbles is really in that a turnover is a turnover, whether it be an INT or a fumble. I'll live with either. I'm easy to please. ;) As far as league leaders, you're probably correct.

Originally posted by Proteus71:

The only one I'm not sure about is the home field extra player, it seems really big.  Oh wait, I'm a Packer fan, so I'm used to the big home field advantage, so it all sounds good to me.

So, in summary, I agree.

see walt, if a packer fan supports the plan, then it aint a good plan.

see walt, if a packer fan supports the plan, then it aint a good plan.

;) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

"Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends . . ."

So the main issues are:

a) FG points

;) extra starter advantage in playoffs

Maybe have a vote?

Vote 1:

1. All FGs 3 pts

2. Distance bonus

Vote 2

1. Man advantage

2. None

Vote 1: All FGs 3 points

Vote 2: Man Advantage (amended)

*I have no better ideas, but believe that "home field" should be awarded to those who performed better during the season. That said, I think that the Championship game ought to be treated like the Super Bowl, with no home field awarded. JMO.

Guest Cyric29
Originally posted by Dan:

Vote 1: All FGs 3 points

Vote 2: Man Advantage (amended)

*I have no better ideas, but believe that "home field" should be awarded to those who performed better during the season.  That said, I think that the Championship game ought to be treated like the Super Bowl, with no home field awarded.  JMO.

Vote 1. FG's all should be 3 points

Vote 2. I like the man advantage for all games but the SB, but think QB's should be elimanted from consideration. The 16th QB picked and on someone's roster, could score like the top QB...where as someone's back up RB or WR will probably give a couple of extra points, but probably nothing outrageous that would make the game a walk for the home team.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the SB. In my leagues, BOTH teams field an extra player, so there is no advantage, but team depth plays a role.

I'll amend the proposed rule to reflect this.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the SB. In my leagues, BOTH teams field an extra player, so there is no advantage, but team depth plays a role.

I'll amend the proposed rule to reflect this.

I'm good with that. That rewards those who drafted well enough to have depth. ;)

Originally posted by Cyric29:

Vote 1. FG's all should be 3 points

Vote 2. I like the man advantage for all games but the SB, but think QB's should be elimanted from consideration.  The 16th QB picked and on someone's roster, could score like the top QB...where as someone's back up RB or WR will probably give a couple of extra points, but probably nothing outrageous that would make the game a walk for the home team.

i'm w/this.

vote #1:

fgs 3pts 49yds or less

fgs 4pts 50yds or more

think the original is too much but think anyone who kicks a 50yder deserves the extra pt.

vote #2: man advantage but NO defenses or qbs eligible

[ 05-24-2003: Message edited by: NAn ]

i vote 3 pts plus the bonus of 1 on +50

i vote yes to the man advantage provided it's not a qb or def.

Ok by me.

This seems to be a popular compromise. Let's make it so!

Unless there is any objections, these are the rules for this year!

The next challenge is to figure out what software to use (likely Yahoo), draft method and date and the old trophy issue.

Re. the trophy, I suggest last years champ gets it, gets his name engraved along with year 1 champ, tells us all what the cost is and then we mail him the money. The champ should also figure in the cost of mailing it to this years champ at the end of the year.

Agreed?

Who were the champs anyway?

Sounds good Walter on the rules. As far as software I don't care. As far as last years champ, again, I don't care cause it wasn't me. ;)

Who were the champs anyway?

we really didn't crown a pts champ but...

OVERALL league champ: bgsgfan

POINTS champ: urlacher's angels

i could save you guys some time and get the trophy made, you won't have to worry about mailing it, cause it won't leave my trophy shelf for decades!!! ;)

So are you really that unreliable? Or just a confessed thief? ;)

we really didn't crown a pts champ but...

OVERALL league champ: bgsgfan

POINTS champ: urlacher's angels

points - who cares?

who was the champ in 2001? ChargerFan22 I think?

There is stores in every city that do trophys and engraving. You can get a small one with a football player on it for $20-$30. The engraving will probably cost vanother 20 or so.

I suggest a nameplate on the base stating:

Probert League Champions:

2001 - ChargerFan22

2002 - Bgsgfan

Just make sure the nameplate is big enough for a few future years.

Bgsgfan - are you around? Can you handle this as the current champ?

points - who cares?

you asked for champS...so i thought you meant from just LAST year you mullet headed bear fan! ;)

you asked for champS...so i thought you meant from just LAST year you mullet headed bear fan!   ;)

Believe it or not, there was life before ANn graced our presence ...

1. I'm, finally here - just started a new job etc etc. Thanks Walt for keeping on me :)

2. Love the rules compromise, i.e. 3pts 1-49, 4 pts on 50+ ..... extra home team player in playoffs EXCEPT QB and DEF and superbowl both get.

3. For trophy - I'll take care of it, but it may not be for another couple months.

4. Who is going to come in second place to me this year? :D

[ 06-11-2003: Message edited by: bgsgfan ]

Originally posted by bob_probert_2000:

I think bgs is an Ohio guy..if need be I can have it made and drop it off.  I cover most of Western Ohio.

I am now in SW Virginia.

Originally posted by Charger Fan22:

Yep, I won 2 years ago.  Getting ready for this year . . .

How would you like your name on trophy? I was thinking 3 spots: name, FFToday handle, and team name. I.e.:

2002 Jeremy Miller bgsgfan Miller Time

Maybe that takes up too much room?

Originally posted by bgsgfan:

How would you like your name on trophy?  I was thinking 3 spots: name, FFToday handle, and team name.  I.e.:

2002 Jeremy Miller bgsgfan Miller Time  

Maybe that takes up too much room?

I believe the amount of print affects the cost.

To be simple, the year and your FFToday handle would be best I think.

BGS, e-mail us and let us know where to send the $ so we can get that thing rollings. DOn't post your address here..that'd be a tragedy with some of the clowns that roam these parts.

Rules bump. Revised to include the agreed upon 1 pt bonus for a 50 yd FG and the 'no qb' rule for the playoff's man advantage.

I agree with the new rules, as long as the man advantage is the amended version.

Urlacher's Angels is gonna take the title it so rightfully deserved last year.