Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheCheat

When should we start the FAB?

Guest TheCheat

If registration opens up mid-week, when do folks want to begin? :mad:

I'd want it to start over the weekend (a weekend, whether it's right away or in a couple of weeks). It's new to virtually all of us, and to have the free weekend time to get used to it would be helpful.

Yeah, it would be nice to at least have a week to get ready. So at the earliest, weekend after next. Also, we talked about having a mock FAB, which would be cool too.

would love a mock FAB, but it would have to be this weekend...more importantly though, doesn't look like the GameDay crew has enough time to do this for us.

I'm flexible but would like a couple days notice of the start time to prep.

Yeah, it would be nice to at least have a week to get ready.  So at the earliest, weekend after next.  Also, we talked about having a mock FAB, which would be cool too.

would love a mock FAB, but it would have to be this weekend...more importantly though, doesn't look like the GameDay crew has enough time to do this for us.

I'd love a mock of sorts. If we could get a condensed version going over the weekend of the 19th. Then maybe have the real one starting the weekend of the 26th.

Yeah, it would be nice to at least have a week to get ready.  So at the earliest, weekend after next.  Also, we talked about having a mock FAB, which would be cool too.

I'd love a mock of sorts. If we could get a condensed version going over the weekend of the 19th. Then maybe have the real one starting the weekend of the 26th.

Sounds go to me..... The only time I will be unavailable is Friday because after work I'm driving from Mi to Ga.... other than that I'll cancel anything else I'm doing.

It sounds like 27th-28th is bad for a couple people...

I will be totally unavailable on Sept 3rd. What about starting the morning of the 4th? That would be a Sunday, and then I think most people would have Monday off.

It sounds like 27th-28th is bad for a couple people...

I will be totally unavailable on Sept 3rd. What about starting the morning of the 4th? That would be a Sunday, and then I think most people would have Monday off.

Scratch that, we wouldn't be done in time...

It looks like the 27th and 28th is the only option for starting on a weekend.

The Roll Call thread has the tentative start date on Monday the 29th. No doubt because there are a couple of people not available on weekends.

Personally, I'm willing to start whenever - the 29th, or the following weekend, or (although it's kind of late) the first Monday in September.

But we should probably come to a consensus soon, so we can plan out our time.

I saw one person who said they can't start the 26th.... but why not the 27th? I think the weekend will me better for majority of the league, as thoes are most people days off.

Guest TheCheat

Sounds like at least 3 folks are away and can't start next w/end (roto, Blitzen, & Smoov). I guess people will just have to take Mon. the 29th off. ;)

Or get a deadbeat "work" @ home job by then.  :heart:

Seriously, between lives and work and other drafts (not in that order, of course) and, particularly, the brand new-ness of this whole deal, I'm sure we'll all be fish flopping around for water to a pretty similar degree.

Why don't we just start Friday the 2nd in the evening?.... That way we have the long weekend. I think the weekend is a lot better than during the week since you have a lot of free time.

Why don't we just start Friday the 2nd in the evening?.... That way we have the long weekend. I think the weekend is a lot better than during the week since you have a lot of free time.

Because we wouldn't be done until after, or right before the Pats/Raiders game. That might be ok, if we can start early Friday, although, I'll be gone Friday night through Sunday morning.

Why don't we split the difference, and start on Wed. the 31st at night? The following weekend is a holiday, so I'm sure people can handle little sleep :thumbsup: for Wed/Thu, and those who are gone for the holiday weekend will be able to take part in the most important part of FAB?

So, my vote is for the Wed. the 31st. Starting around 8pm East Coast time.

Why don't we split the difference, and start on Wed. the 31st at night? The following weekend is a holiday, so I'm sure people can handle little sleep :wall: for Wed/Thu, and those who are gone for the holiday weekend will be able to take part in the most important part of FAB?

So, my vote is for the Wed. the 31st. Starting around 8pm East Coast time.

Sounds pretty feasible to me Rex. The 1st two days are probably where the higher profile players are gonna come off the board, so it would be most important to have people around to manage things for it.

I second the idea for Wed, August 31st.

Why don't we split the difference, and start on Wed. the 31st at night?  The following weekend is a holiday, so I'm sure people can handle little sleep :headbanger: for Wed/Thu, and those who are gone for the holiday weekend will be able to take part in the most important part of FAB?

So, my vote is for the Wed. the 31st.  Starting around 8pm East Coast time.

Sounds pretty feasible to me Rex. The 1st two days are probably where the higher profile players are gonna come off the board, so it would be most important to have people around to manage things for it.

I second the idea for Wed, August 31st.

Exactly, and I think more people work on weekdays, than will be gone on weekends.

Also, isn't there a slower FAB? I wouldn't care as much about starting mid-week if it was stretched out. If we do start mid-week, I vote for Wednesday the 24th. (I have that day off :headbanger: )

My vote is to start ASAP. Like now, I'm just afriad that there might be some glitches of sorts.

You have an entire day to keep track of that days FAB. So, unless you're totally cut off from the net you should have access.

I really wanted a practive FAB, but it looks too late for one now. I wonder if there's a way that a small group of us could participate in a test FAB. If Cam and the gang could set that up.

Maybe we can setup a vote to see if the league would perfer a weekend or weekday start. No MATTER what we choose, it will not be the best time or date for everyone in the league... especially since we have 16 owners. Thats why we have to do whats best for MAJORITY of the league. If majority of the league wants to start during the week, then I'll go with that and work around it. If majority wants to start on a weekend, Then I'll go with that.

Maybe we can setup a vote to see if the league would perfer a weekend or weekday start. No MATTER what we choose, it will not be the best time or date for everyone in the league... especially since we have 16 owners. Thats why we have to do whats best for MAJORITY of the league. If majority of the league wants to start during the week, then I'll go with that and work around it. If majority wants to start on a weekend, Then I'll go with that.

Yeah, I agree with the previous two posts. Let's just vote, and get this rolling ASAP.

I still have much more of a problem with that specific weekend (27-28) as I have zero access to my machine for that entire weekend. During the week, I can at least check at night and a few times during the day. I would hate to have to rely on a machine to pick my guys. Not so sure that all of the top players will be off the board early on. Maybe some lower guys will be put on to test the market; who knows. So starting mid-week could still suck if a bunch of marquee players are left for the weekend. Autopicking, especially in the first year, could really hurt a team for a while. I don't know this league any more than anybody else so maybe the fears are unfounded. But if I'll have to autopick, then I may leave my spot for someone else as long as I can get the bones back.

Guest TheCheat

• Re: starting now/ASAP: I'm itching to go, but I just noticed this on the gdr board: http://www.gamedayritual.com/forum/viewtop...8fcb3241a8efa62. I'd rather wait for a little while and let a few of the other leagues beta test the FAB for us. :banana:

• Re: starting Fri. the 2nd, that's just cutting it way too close for me given the Thurs. game, and I'd hate to have to exclude week 1 just because there was a day's delay for some system prob.

• Re: FAB length, in order to do the slower, 11-day one and have enough time to finish (by Weds. the 7th), we'd have to start by Sun. the 28th at the latest. Cam described the diff. lengths on the board:

The 6-day has each player being "On the Market" for 24 hours. This means that if a player comes available at noon on Monday he will sign with a team at noon on Tuesday. Basically it is a good idea to check how your team is doing and update your offers at least once per day.

The 11-day has each player being "On the Market" for 48 hours. This means that if a player comes available at noon on Monday he will sign with a team at noon on Wednesday. Basically it is a good idea to check how your team is doing and update your offers at least once every other day.

The 48-hour version has been described as being a little "slow" by some of our hardcore users (they like to see the pace of development having developments every day). As such we suggest the 24-hour/6-day version.

My vote's for starting a 6-day FAB either the morning of Mon. the 29th, or the evening of Weds. the 31st (good idea, rex :thumbsup: ). Don't care which.

Am I missing something here? Granted I really could be ignorant on this issue.

Once a player is on the market doesn't he last 24 or 48 hours? Meaning that you may be at work from 9-5 and miss a player being put on the market but you still have the remaining time to offer him a contract.

So why don't we just start over the next two days and use the 11 day FAB. That way every owner will have 48 hours to negotiate with a player. There's no way an owner won't find time to access the site to negotiate with a player over 48 hour period. I have a very busy schedule, but I'll still be able to find time to check the players on the market.

Let's get this league going. So, if we have questions we can address them early enough to have answers before the season starts.

:pointstosky:

Guest TheCheat

I think what you're missing is that 3 people are going to be away next w/end (2 for weddings -- roto said he'll actually be unavailable from this Weds. night thru Sat. night in the roll call thread) and have no comp. access for at least 48 hours.

That's too many people *completely* unavailable for too long, even for the 11-day FAB.

I think what you're missing is that 3 people are going to be away next w/end (2 for weddings -- roto said he'll actually be unavailable from this Weds. night thru Sat. night in the roll call thread) and have no comp. access for at least 48 hours.

That's too many people *completely* unavailable for too long, even for the 11-day FAB.

Being gone for 48 hours with the 11 day FAB really isn't a problem. The only way you'd miss out completely is if a player went on the market right as you leave. Most players will be on the market 24 hours before or after the 48 hour MIA period. Who are the three that aren't going to be available that weekend anyway? I for one, won't be available the following weekend. Anyone else have conflicts? Lets get them all listed.

Anyway, I vote for the slow FAB to start this Wednesday, for what it's worth.

Once a player is on the market doesn't he last 24 or 48 hours? Meaning that you may be at work from 9-5 and miss a player being put on the market but you still have the remaining time to offer him a contract.

So why don't we just start over the next two days and use the 11 day FAB. That way every owner will have 48 hours to negotiate with a player. There's no way an owner won't find time to access the site to negotiate with a player over 48 hour period. I have a very busy schedule, but I'll still be able to find time to check the players on the market.

Let's get this league going. So, if we have questions we can address them early enough to have answers before the season starts.

:lol:

The thing you are forgetting is that if you bid a bit low on someone then get out bid later, you may want to pay attention so you can rebid later. I know I'm not going to bid my highest possible offer first.

Being gone for 48 hours with the 11 day FAB really isn't a problem. The only way you'd miss out completely is if a player went on the market right as you leave. Most players will be on the market 24 hours before or after the 48 hour MIA period. Who are the three that aren't going to be available that weekend anyway? I for one, won't be available the following weekend. Anyone else have conflicts? Lets get them all listed.

Anyway, I vote for the slow FAB to start this Wednesday, for what it's worth.

:huh: I also vote to do an 11 day slow period starting Weds

I'll vote 6 day FAB starting on the 29th. If that is impossible, then Wednesday the 31st would be my second choice.

I already voted in the other thread for the 6-day FAB starting on the 31st (1st choice) but also stated that I wouldn't mind starting the 6-Day FAB on Monday. After reading through this though, I also wouldn't mind the possibility of the 11 day FAB starting on this Wednesday, August 24th. I'll be missing all of this weekend but would be available for the first signing period. I'd miss the second but would be available for the remaining ones.

Is anyone else concerned that we're only getting feedback/opinions from about half the league. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone is as much a die-hard as I think this league will require...

Guest TheCheat
Is anyone else concerned that we're only getting feedback/opinions from about half the league.  :rolleyes:

Yes. :lol: (Though I think folks are just swamped w/ other drafts and, uh, whatever else it is people do. :lol: )

Thank you for saying it first Grigs.

I'm very concerned not only because we're only getting input from half the league but we still don't have a date confirmed. The point of starting on the 24th is not only to accommodate schedules but also just in case there are any bumps in the road we'll still start on time. If we don't start the FAB till the 28th or 29th and a couple of owners no-show, than we're up a creek.

At this point I'm for down sizing the league and getting it going ASAP.

Guest TheCheat

Grigs, do you still have Mike's e-mail? Maybe reply to all w/ a link to this, or one of the, poll/FAB threads?

Is anyone else concerned that we're only getting feedback/opinions from about half the league. :D

I hope everyone is as much a die-hard as I think this league will require...

I haven't chimed in on this thread yet since my availability is wide open :) But I am chomping at the bit...I hope the fact that people paid $ means they are serious about it as well. :unsure:

Given everyone just signed up in the past few days I'm not overly concerned with lack of chatter from all 16 on the board. Is there a way to tell how active owners are on the league site? Everyone have a logo set up? Stadium (I know I don't yet)? etc.?

BTW, I voted 6 day FAB starting next Monday.