Sign in to follow this  
GDogg

Kevin Jones to Start on Sunday

Per the Detroit News:

"Fullback Cory Schlesinger and tailback Kevin Jones will be in the backfield Sunday for the first time this season. Schlesinger has recovered from a broken right fibula. Jones suffered an injured left shoulder last week."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0510/21/D07-356577.htm

For what it's worth, Rotoworld also has Jones saying he will play this Sunday while citing the same Detroit News article:

"RB Kevin Jones (shoulder) said yesterday that he plans to play Sunday.

Jones didn't practice and is listed as questionable, but everyone in Detroit seems to be assuming he'll play.

Source: Detroit News"

http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/conte...guenum=&id=6789

Finally, this just popped up on ESPN's player news for Kevin Jones:

"Oct 21 - Roto: Jones (shoulder) will play when the Lions visit the Browns on Sunday, the Detroit News reports.

Spin: Not only will Jones suit up for action, but he'll have fullback Cory Schlesinger blocking for him for the first time this season. You can go ahead and start Jones this week, and he could have a big game as Cleveland ranks 29th against the run, allowing 140.2 rushing yards per game."

This is great news for all Jones owners, especially with the prospect of Joey Heisman being benched in favor of the ugliest man in the NFL, Jeff Garcia.

YES!!!!

Finally a return on the investment. I thought he was a steal with the 2.11 pick, but so far though decent, he's been a shell of his former self.

I blame it mostly on stout defenses (which CLE isn't) the absence of C.S. to block for him (who is back) and the irratic play of the QB (which is likely to still be erratic, but against a weaker pass rush in CLE).

KJones = 120 total yds and 2 TDs this week.

Guest Loose Circuits

damn, I either have to start LJ tonight or go with KJ with Caddy on bye. We only get to make moves on Wed. nights in that league- gayest rule ever... Shipp was on the wire, but my co-coaches didn't want to pick him up, dipshits... then we would at least be able to find out if Jones was going to play...

damn, I either have to start LJ tonight or go with KJ with Caddy on bye. We only get to make moves on Wed. nights in that league- gayest rule ever... Shipp was on the wire, but my co-coaches didn't want to pick him up, dipshits... then we would at least be able to find out if Jones was going to play...

Your "co-coaches?"

What the fu#k! :wall:

This is fantasy football where %80 of it is simple pure luck! You need co-coaches? Yikes.

Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Its all speculation, but I suspect him to play with the harness on he wore last week

Its all speculation, but I suspect him to play with the harness on he wore last week

I would call it a step above speculation when Kevin Jones himself says he's going to play.

Also, he returned to the game last week with the harness, and from what I've seen there've been no MRI or XRay results which would prevent him from playing.

I'd bet he plays and has his best game of the season - as hard as he ran against Baltimore, he's got to be licking his chops here.

I'm starting Rod Smith, Donald Driver, and Jeremy Shockey all ahead of him. That pretty much guarantees this will be his breakout week, but I'm tired of :wall: when Jones disappears from the boxscore for whole quarters at a time.

I suspect he's going to play, but it very well could be a mean RBBC this week. Plus, one good shot on the shoulder and he could be sitting on the sidelines for the rest of the game.

Starting Ronnie over him at this point despite his significantly more difficult matchup...

I would call it a step above speculation when Kevin Jones himself says he's going to play.

Yeah, players never lie.

See Horn and TJ, rookie.

Yeah, players never lie.

See Horn and TJ, rookie.

Fred Taylor: I will play Sunday!

What makes you think the players were lying?

Wouldn't it be more feasible that the players, as competitors, felt they could, should, and would play, but the coaches made a coaching decision and decided it would be best to rest them for the week(s), so that they would have the players at 100% for the end of the season?

I seriously doubt any player that says he is playing is lying. The problem is, quite simply, it isn't his decision to make whether or not he is going to play.

to keep the other team guessing and have to prepare for that player.

They are not going to come out and say, "I am not playing this week", unless it is an obvious injury.

hth

Who would you guys start Sunday, Thomas Jones or Kevin Jones?

It's comical, because I just traded Julius Jones, and got Thomas Jones in a separate trade.

All these focking Joneses. :o

I'd say the fact that they said they would play and didn't gives you a pretty good indication.

Guest Loose Circuits
damn, I either have to start LJ tonight or go with KJ with Caddy on bye.  We only get to make moves on Wed. nights in that league- gayest rule ever...  Shipp was on the wire, but my co-coaches didn't want to pick him up, dipshits...  then we would at least be able to find out if Jones was going to play...

Your "co-coaches?"

What the fu#k! :lol:

This is fantasy football where %80 of it is simple pure luck! You need co-coaches? Yikes.

1 of 5 of my teams- basically 3 co-owners. League is $20 a loss and a large entry fee so it gets a little expensive if you have a string of injuries to foot the bill by yourself. I got brougt in at the last minute, but I don't think I will do it next year. Too much bickering and these guys have no clue what's going on. It's tough when you have to get 3 guys to agree on who to pick-up. ...and mistakes happen, and then they blame me for dropping Bryant before he scored 2 scores is an example. So that was their reasoning on not picking up Shipp.

Who would you guys start Sunday, Thomas Jones or Kevin Jones?

It's comical, because I just traded Julius Jones, and got Thomas Jones in a separate trade.

All these focking Joneses. :lol:

I now have all 3 on my team after trading for Thomas last week. All I can hope for now is a strong second half. :ph34r:

I'd say the fact that they said they would play and didn't gives you a pretty good indication.

That's pretty faulty logic to say that a player who doesn't play, but said he was going to was lying. Let me explain lying for you: In order for a player to be "lying," he'd have to KNOW at the moment he makes the statement that he is definitely NOT going to play. If he didn't know that, then he can't be lying. You could say he is wrong, but not clearly he was not lying.

Perhaps you don't understand football, but it really isn't the player's decision on whether or not he plays. Coaches make these decision regardless of a player's statements or wishes.

kj will play with an injury like that. roy williams wouldn't.

All that's left is for you to turn on BMW and the trifecta is complete. :D

That's pretty faulty logic to say that a player who doesn't play, but said he was going to was lying. Let me explain lying for you: In order for a player to be "lying," he'd have to KNOW at the moment he makes the statement that he is definitely NOT going to play. If he didn't know that, then he can't be lying. You could say he is wrong, but not clearly he was not lying.

Perhaps you don't understand football, but it really isn't the player's decision on whether or not he plays. Coaches make these decision regardless of a player's statements or wishes.

The player says that it is certain they will play and in just about every case there is significant uncertainty about whether they will be. So yes, they are lying in saying they are certain to play. HTH.

The player says that it is certain they will play and in just about every case there is significant uncertainty about whether they will be.  So yes, they are lying in saying they are certain to play.  HTH.

It helps me to understand that you don't know what the word "lie" means.

Coaches decide who plays; not players. I hope this helps.

Coaches decide who plays; not players.  I hope this helps.

Exactly - so when a player tells you that he knows he is certain to play in a game, he is lying. Unless the coach has come to them and said "you're going to be our starter this week".

Apparantly you are the one that doesn't understand.

YES!!!!

Finally a return on the investment. I thought he was a steal with the 2.11 pick, but so far though decent, he's been a shell of his former self.

I blame it mostly on stout defenses (which CLE isn't) the absence of C.S. to block for him (who is back) and the irratic play of the QB (which is likely to still be erratic, but against a weaker pass rush in CLE).

KJones = 120 total yds and 2 TDs this week.

I would settle for 70 yards and 1 TD at this point.

Schlesinger back is a big plus. Watch him have his breakout game against my beloved Browns.

Exactly - so when a player tells you that he knows he is certain to play in a game, he is lying.    Unless the coach has come to them and said "you're going to be our starter this week."

By definition, a player cannot tell you whether it is certain that he is going to play. He is not the one making the decisions. Therefore, a player is not telling a lie when he says, "I WILL play on Sunday," and then doesn't unless the coach has already told him, "You, [Player X], are not playing."

Now, if the coach, knowing full well in his head that Player X is not playing, says that Player X is playing and then doesn't play him, that is a lie.

Lying is about state of mind and a person cannot, by definition, be lying unless he knows the statement to be false when it was said. This was the issue in the Rafael Palmeiro perjury situation, which was why investigators couldn't conclusively say that he perjured himself when he said, "I did not use steroids" under oath. What they were saying was - it was inconclusive whether he lied.

Again, a player saying "I will play" should always be interpreted to be the player's opinion, which may or may not turn out to be wrong depending on what unfolds on that Sunday. The simple reason for this is that it is not the player's decision.

No, I clearly do understand. Once again, I hope this helps.

Yeah, players never lie.

See Horn and TJ, rookie.

Fred Taylor swore he was going to start last week too.

Also, he returned to the game last week with the harness, and from what I've seen there've been no MRI or XRay results which would prevent him from playing.

I'd bet he plays and has his best game of the season - as hard as he ran against Baltimore, he's got to be licking his chops here.

Vick said hed play against the Pats, we all know how that turned out

people saying they are going to play tells nothing, just like Benson was a lock to start last week and that Dillon was going to start

Vick said hed play against the Pats, we all know how that turned out

people saying they are going to play tells nothing, just like Benson was a lock to start last week and that Dillon was going to start

Just seems like so many sources are saying he's going to play, including KJ himself.

and despite the other factors I'd pointed out, it's amusing to see so many of you fixate on that one thing (*cough, moose, cough*).

The other factors I believe are equally relevant are as follows (to repeat):

* No X-Rays for this injury

* No MRI for this injury

* Came back into the game and played with the harness on Sunday.

Those would in fact seem to be far more dependable indicators than something that is reported in the news.

Finally, I know that a great many beat writers have inside sources, be it team doctors, assistant coaches or whatnot - it's pretty bold for a reporter to come out and say that KJ is playing...often I find they'll hedge if they don't really know, yet here's the Detroit News saying it as a statement of fact.

Time will tell - but I say count on him playing.

I'll be sure to bump this topic when he starts. :angry:

kj will play with an injury like that. roy williams wouldn't.

All that's left is for you to turn on BMW and the trifecta is complete. :angry:

i haven't given up on roy. but of course i'm frustrated (as are a lot of lion fans) with his attitude. he's shown he has the ability to be one of the really good ones *if* he wants to be.

mike williams gets a pass for being a rookie.

charles? yes, my faith in him has been shaken considerably. there's no excuse for what he did. period.

from the lips of mooch today (from detlions.com):

On whether FB Cory Schlesinger will start

“No, Paul (Smith) will start. Cory will play and start in three special teams and Paul will start at fullback and also play special teams. Cory will spot play (Paul Smith) this week.”

On RB Kevin Jones’ availability

“We didn’t bang him. He practiced today and yesterday. He is telling me he is going to go. How it feels – he will learn as he starts getting hit. We have alternated too with Artose Pinner in there for him and Shawn Bryson in there for him.”

I'll be sure to bump this topic when he starts. :rolleyes:

If you re-read the thread, most of us suspect he will start.

We are just not buying the "because the player says he will" as a reason behind this.

HTH

I'll be sure to bump this topic when he starts.  ;)

If you re-read the thread, most of us suspect he will start.

We are just not buying the "because the player says he will" as a reason behind this.

HTH

And as mentioned twice now I gave other reasons in addition to what KJ said, which for some reason you've ignored, twice now.

But you seem bent on being less than cordial about it, so I will gracefully adhere to my new leaf and bow out of this discussion.

HTH

I'll be sure to bump this topic when he starts. :cry:

Why? Most people seem to think he'll play/start anyway. I'd just be concerned about how many carries he gets and wether or not he'll last the whole game.