Sign in to follow this  
ffootball32

Thoughts from Jamal Lewis

Q&A: Jamal Lewis

October 21, 2005

What do you think about Baltimore's recent road struggles?

"We just have to put that behind us. We got a good win against the Browns, and it's time to take it to Chicago. We made a few mistakes last game, and we need to correct them, go on the road, and try to get a win."

How big is the challenge of playing on the road?

"It's always hard to win on the road. You have to get out of that mindset, go out and play your game."

Jamal Lewis has run against stacked defenses thus far.

How good are Brian Urlacher and the Bears' defense?

"They play sound defense. They're one of those 'bend but don't break' defenses. They play well up front, have a good linebacking corps, and some good safeties. They bring the blitz a lot, and put pressure on you; I think that's what makes them so good, being able to put that pressure on you. I think if we can block that up, we'll be all right."

How would you assess your individual performance?

"I think it's going pretty well. The coaches are doing a good job of easing me back in, due to what I missed in the offseason and preseason. I think it's coming along well. It could better, and I think we will get better."

How do you get back to the 2003 level people are used to?

"Things happen. It has more to do with the team, and as our offense continues to progress, everything will fall into place."

How will breaking a long run will change the yards per carry statistic?

"Oh yeah, that's the difference. Defenses are scheming against me, and trying to stop the run. Everybody who scouts against us is going to say that they want to stop No. 31. They're coming at me with 8-man, 9-man fronts, and we need to try and connect with (our receivers) on the outside."

What do you think of Brian Billick's support of his role on the team, despite the media suggesting Chester Taylor should get more carries?

"I'm not really concerned with that. I've done great things here with the Baltimore Ravens, and I don't think this is a big problem. It's not an issue for me; I'm not concerned about me. It's a good thing for Brian Billick to step in and put that to a halt. We just have to get things rolling as a whole around here. Teams are going to come in and try to stop me. Chester is a good running back, and I love having him as a backup, because I know I can come out of the game, and that he'll keep things rolling. Teams are going to scheme against me, and they're going to be more passive when someone else is in the game. Eighty-five percent of the time I'm in the game, I'm going to get the football. (Other teams) know that. If you put Chester in as more of a third-down back, they're going to be a little more passive."

This guy has to be one of the dumbest athletes in pro sports. He can't form proper sentences and has a ridiculously inflated self image.

I seriously wonder how guys like this are allowed in the league. I understand that colleges must go pretty easy on athletes, but seriously, how did Jamal Lewis get into a college. Has he ever set foot in a classroom?

I can't stand listening to this guy talk about him self in the 3rd person.

Oh, and yeah, I'm a Jamal owner...he was one of my keepers from last year. I hated him when i drafted him 2 years ago, and I hate him now.

I for one thought Ja would turn it around this season. He has some logic to his reasoning. Defenesed know they must stop him, granted Balt doesn't have too many more stud offensive players, actually none. But they scheme against every other great back. But they do have more weapons. I just glad i didn't draft him. Went WR with my #1 pick, got LT as my Keeper and invested on Sjax and Lamont which panned out great for me.

I too went the WR route picking at the end of my draft .. what was there in terms of #1 RBs was Jamal staring me in the face and I wasn't going to draft him #1 after having him on my team last year.

He fricken was STILL ON THE DRAFT BOARD round three so I HAD :D to :headbanger: grab :headbanger: him :headbanger: .

What he is missing is the explosiveness. It's just not there. :headbanger:

He's done! Two major knee opps, a convcited drug dealer, playing on a 1 year deal.....if you are in a keeper league, grab Chester Taylor.....he'll be the starter by the end of this season and roll into next season as a great #2!

Haven't they been stacking the line with 8 and 9 man fronts for the past two-three seasons? He's produced under these conditions before...

I'm thinking about offering him and Ward to get Benson and Holt in a dynasty league.

But, I don't think he will be in Balt next year so he might end up someplace where he can do well.

This year he is done though.

;)

well, I just acquired Jamal after trading Ronnie Brown (hate that dread RBBC in Miami) and Mewelde Moore (I'm afraid that he will never see a TD opportunity, period). I'm taking a big risk on Jamal cuz of Ravens' FF playoff schedule. So, it is either for me on :P or ;)

Beside, I already have Priest Holmes, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, and Larry Johnson.