Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

Najeh Davenport

If Green Bay decides to let Ahman Green walk at the end of the season, they may hand the No. 1 RB job - and a new contract - to Najeh Davenport writes

Najeh Davenport stood in the Green Bay Packers’ locker room with crutches under each arm. While Davenport has been around since the beginning of the week, for many of his teammates, this was the first time they had seen him since Davenport had surgery last week to repair the ankle he broke in the Oct. 9 win over the New Orleans Saints.

Countless players made a point to come over to wish Davenport well and a speedy recovery.

“There’s just a lot of concern and love from the organization,” Davenport said. “They want me to get better.”

Davenport said his hope was to begin rehabilitation as early as today or no later than Monday.

“I’ve got a couple pins and a screw (put in the ankle),” Davenport said. “I had a couple fractures in my lower fibula. I had some ligament damage. Hopefully, if things go well, I’ll be running again in March.”

March will be when Davenport becomes an unrestricted free agent. Based on the way Davenport played before the injury, the Packers may give some thought to bringing him back next season, possibly as the starter if the team opts not to sign Pro Bowler Ahman Green, who also is a free agent at the end of the season. Davenport said there’s been no contact between the Packers and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, about an extension.

“No, why would there be?” Davenport said. “I just got hurt.”

The Packers may try to extend the contracts of a few players before the end of the season since they have a few million dollars to work with under the salary cap, but the team more than likely will wait to see how Davenport’s rehab goes before deciding whether to bring him back. Davenport said he has no idea what the future will hold.

“I’m taking it like I’ve taken everything else in my life: straight ahead, looking it dead in the eye,” Davenport said. “I can’t do nothing but get better. I can’t control nothing.”

Despite his frustration over the injury, Davenport says he will focus on the positive and concentrate on his future.

“I can’t think about nothing that I can’t control. That’s how people get down: when you start thinking about things you can’t control,” Davenport said. “I can’t control it, so I don’t think about it. I can control how I do my rehab. I can control how I approach my rehab for the next couple months. I’ll be working hard on getting my strength back and my leg right. That’s the only thing I can control. After that, it’s in God’s hands.”

i doubt it happens

Ahman is the better runner and seeing as they have went through the purge, they will want to rebuild around their best players, namely Green and Walker......

they got their QB for after Favre so they will concentrate on both lines and work from there

maybe im alone in putting Ahman ahead but but thats the way i see it

I don't think the Packers are ready to turn it over to Najeh. He has gotten injured every season with the Packers and has missed a significant amount of games. I just don't see them investing in a guy that is the next Fragile Freddy. JMO

As a packer fan, I can't see Najeh Daven-POOP starting next year. He's a good player but as stated, he gets hurt all the time. Every time he gets tackled Packer fan's hold their breath. Besides, Green Bay has already shown they don't want to deal with anyone represented by that scumbag Rosenhaus!!!

i doubt it happens

Ahman is the better runner and seeing as they have went through the purge, they will want to rebuild around their best players, namely Green and Walker......

they got their QB for after Favre so they will concentrate on both lines and work from there

I think Green is better than than Davenpoop, but do you really see the Pack giving Green some huge 4 year deal at this point, especially after the injury a few weeks ago (on top of his really sh1tty play)?

Bottom line, the Pack are in a heap of trouble-it would be one thing if they let Green walk because they knew Favre was a 300/2 guy every game, but those days are long gone. I just don't see them tying a bunch of money up into a guy like Green that has not shown he can 1) stay healthy, and 2) be the man when the rest of the team goes to sh1t.

On top of that, there is no guarantee Walker comes back. I can't imagine anyone more pissed off at the Packers organization than him, after they stone walled him on a new deal. He is sure to garner alot of FA attention this off season, and he might just split on general principle. At the very least, the hometown discount is gone, no questions asked.

and...I am not sold on Rogers being the savior in Green Bay!!!!

Rodgers stinks, that much is for sure. I don't think Favre will leave anytime soon. I don't know why all the moron sports writers in Green Bay stir up this little controversy every year. For the last 5 years, I've heard Favre might retire and he never does.

I think they need Ahman, he is doing crappy this year I think because of the O-Line. He is a solid runner and he has developed into a good pass receiver as well. Maybe if they'd have drafted Orton they could've used that wasted 30 million they are paying Rodgers to resign Wahle and Rivera. Ted Thompson drafted like a 5 year old would (that is probably too high). I don't care if Rodgers was the "best player available" they needed defense and they have a very capable backup in Nall. Ted Thompson should be fired.

Rodgers stinks, that much is for sure. I don't think Favre will leave anytime soon. I don't know why all the moron sports writers in Green Bay stir up this little controversy every year. For the last 5 years, I've heard Favre might retire and he never does.

I think they need Ahman, he is doing crappy this year I think because of the O-Line. He is a solid runner and he has developed into a good pass receiver as well. Maybe if they'd have drafted Orton they could've used that wasted 30 million they are paying Rodgers to resign Wahle and Rivera. Ted Thompson drafted like a 5 year old would (that is probably too high). I don't care if Rodgers was the "best player available" they needed defense and they have a very capable backup in Nall. Ted Thompson should be fired.

thats just the thing-to get the Oline back to where it needs to be, its going to take a complete overhaul and a lot of cap space to get new guys in there...and then there is a small matter concerning the defense...or lack there of it.

I guess this is the main reason I just don't see the Pack sinking a bunch of money into Green...or Walker for that matter. I mean at least a combo of Naj/Fisher/Lee and Driver/Ferguson/Chatman would be serviceable for a while while they revamped the oline and DEF.

Bottom line, they are fvcked for the next couple years.

i doubt it happens

On top of that, there is no guarantee Walker comes back. I can't imagine anyone more pissed off at the Packers organization than him, after they stone walled him on a new deal. He is sure to garner alot of FA attention this off season, and he might just split on general principle. At the very least, the hometown discount is gone, no questions asked.

If Walker wants to play next year it will be in Green Bay. He's still under contract with Green Bay next year. I can't believe the ignorance people show regarding his contract. Green Bay did not renegociate with him because he had 2 years remaining on his contract, not 1. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Again I will post it. In the last 13 Packer games, Ahman Green has 0 100 yard games, 1 touchdown and 2 DNP's. How could this possibly be someone the already cap-troubled Packers want to continue with? At this point he wouldn't be any teams best player.

i doubt it happens

I think Green is better than than Davenpoop, but do you really see the Pack giving Green some huge 4 year deal at this point, especially after the injury a few weeks ago (on top of his really sh1tty play)?

Bottom line, the Pack are in a heap of trouble-it would be one thing if they let Green walk because they knew Favre was a 300/2 guy every game, but those days are long gone. I just don't see them tying a bunch of money up into a guy like Green that has not shown he can 1) stay healthy, and 2) be the man when the rest of the team goes to sh1t.

and...I am not sold on Rogers being the savior in Green Bay!!!!

do i see the Pack giving either a huge contract? no

im sure they wanted insurance this year and may have if they werent in such cap problems

next year may be no better but what you will see is the players they want for the long haul back in and anyone they deem expendable out

i dont think either Walker or Green is expendable but they wont get huge contracts until the cap gets settled

i didnt say Rodgers was the saviour of the Pack either

i did say hes the next QB after Favre, which he will be

i think there was too much negative about both Smith and Rodgers this year out of the draft

Smith has looked fairly good, albeit he had a real bad game but for what hes working with, IMO they are showing some promise now

if they had all the pieces, Barlow actually strung together a nice game and they may have won could they have ridden him more. the problem is they have a shitty team and they were down too much

it will be a simillar situation in GB next year

first time starter at QB, medicore OL, medicore D

things will be bad for the Pack inthe years to come but IMO, they need as many skill players as they can keep

Green and Walker are the 2 that should stay for a while, the contracts will be delayed a touch

i suppose its in GBs favour that they are both dealing with injuries, no inflated stats to inflate the contract

both can still ball, they arent in a sign or ditch situation so they can play them next year and then base their decision on that

I think Najeh will be back before Green. Najeh will be a fraction of the cost of Green who's fast approaching 30. Green will command too much money for a team that's rebuilding. I think they'll either draft a RB relatively high or bring in a lower cost free agent and go with a RBBC with Davenport. With Davenport's history of injuries I think that's the route they go.

Though the good news for GB is there are a couple of other big free agent RB's so there may not be much of a market for Green. If that's the case he could be back but it won't be anywhere near the $ he wants.

Pack homer. I see both Green and Davenpoop going elsewhere at the end of the year and the Pack drafting a RB. With the cap situation, they can't pay Green and won't pay Davenpoop as he is not a starting NFL RB. New GM Thompson is going to clean house and build via the draft.

The next 2-4 years are going to be tough for the Pack but Thompson has the pediigre. He understands that it needs to be done.

Sherman was the worst GM ever but, Millen and Angello are vying for the title.

Pack homer.  I see both Green and Davenpoop going elsewhere at the end of the year and the Pack drafting a RB.  With the cap situation, they can't pay Green and won't pay Davenpoop as he is not a starting NFL RB.  New GM Thompson is going to clean house and build via the draft.

The next 2-4 years are going to be tough for the Pack but Thompson has the pediigre.  He understands that it needs to be done.

Sherman was the worst GM ever but, Millen and Angello are vying for the title.

I still think Davenport's back. Especially with his injury history I don't see a lot of teams showing much interest in him this offseason. Green Bay should be able to resign him at a reasonable price.

I do think they draft a RB in the 1st couple of rounds this year. I don't think Najeh would be a long term solution so I can definitely see them getting a young guy in there to compliment Rodgers as they build for the future.

Rodgers stinks, that much is for sure.  I don't think Favre will leave anytime soon.  I don't know why all the moron sports writers in Green Bay stir up this little controversy every year.  For the last 5 years, I've heard Favre might retire and he never does. 

I think they need Ahman, he is doing crappy this year I think because of the O-Line.  He is a solid runner and he has developed into a good pass receiver as well.  Maybe if they'd have drafted Orton they could've used that wasted 30 million they are paying Rodgers to resign Wahle and Rivera.  Ted Thompson drafted like a 5 year old would (that is probably too high).  I don't care if Rodgers was the "best player available" they needed defense and they have a very capable backup in Nall.  Ted Thompson should be fired.

So you already know that Rodgers isn't going to be a good pro. I am surprised you don't already have a job in the NFL scouting business with that kind of knowledge.

Honestly, he hasn't looked good yet, but all he's done is play in a few preseason games, while trying to learn a highly complex offense. Keep in mind this is the same offense that Andy Reid says it takes 5 years to truly master the QB position.

As for Davenport, there is little to no chance the packers rely solely on him to be their starter next year. As mentioned by others, he's been very fragile. I wouldn't be surprised to see him resigned, but I doubt he'd get more than 1 million per year, anywhere.

As for Ahman Green, no one is going to try to steal him from the packers. Green is bordering on being done at this point of his career. Ahman is still relatively young at 28, but he's got a lot of miles on him, and watching him play, honestly he just not close to what he used to be. If he comes back, it will be for a greatly reduced rate.

IMO the starting RB next year for the Packers will be someone like LenDale White. I think they'll take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd Round, and pair him with either Green (likely), or Davenport (unlikely), and let him gradually take over.

BTW, don't count Favre out until he actually says he's done. First of all he's still playing well. Secondly if he continues on his current pace, he'll pass Marino's all time TD record next season.

its not looking good the way Thompson drafts if thats the route they take

ill admit, i was shocked at a few picks(Barnett) but they panned out

the majority though seem to be flops(Carroll, more than half of this tyears class, etc)

its not looking good the way Thompson drafts if thats the route they take

ill admit, i was shocked at a few picks(Barnett) but they panned out

the majority though seem to be flops(Carroll, more than half of this tyears class, etc)

All those you mention were Sherman picks. This was Thompson's first draft with the Packers. Most of his picks made the team. Though I'm not sure if it was because they were good picks or that they have poor talent. (Thanks to dumbass Sherman)

The guy is a backup with limited touches and he's always injured, not difficult to figure this one out......

19 carries for 178yds

9.4 ypc

I remember that game against St Louis.

also, he was ABOUT to do it again before he broke his ankle;

12 carries 54 yards

4.5 ypc

I am a fan of Davenpoop; since I have him and he is from the U

other players from the U that i have:

Portis

McGahee

Gore

Wayne

Moss

AJ

Shockey

Franks

He's been injury prone throughout, but I'm not sure his latest injury makes him more so. It was a broken ankle and in seeing the play, there's not a person on the planet who wouldn't have suffered the same fate. Just bad luck on that one. He was tearing it up too, something Ahman hasn't done in recent memory.