Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

McGahee: I am the best RB in the NFL

Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Willis McGahee knows all about LaDainian Tomlinson's impressive go-for-the-cycle performance last week against the 1-4 Raiders. How the Chargers running back, who ran for a touchdown, caught for another and even threw a touchdown pass in last week's rout, already has 652 yards rushing on 133 attempts through Week 6.

In McGahee's mind, there is no comparison between him and Tomlinson.

"I'm the best back,'' the Buffalo Bills starter said this week. "Case closed.''

Truth is, McGahee has five more carries and 48 less rushing yards than Tomlinson, making him the NFL's fifth most productive running back as the 3-3 Bills head into Sunday's contest against the 1-4 Raiders at the Coliseum.

If will and strength of mind factor into the equation, McGahee might have a valid point.

He sweated and worked to recover after three ligaments in his left knee were torn in his final college game at Miami, the Jan. 2003 Orange Bowl national championship contest. The Bills took a chance and made him a first-round draft pick, allowed him to sit out the season to rehab, then made him a permanent starter ahead of veteran Travis Henry in '04, a move that sparked the Bills from an 0-4 start to a 9-7 finish.

It was last season's revival that prompted the supremely confident McGahee to have a message tattooed on the back of his neck: "Guess Who's Back".

McGahee said the adversity is part of what drives him to be the best.

"Oh, yeah, your character, your heart, and I've got a very strong mind, so I'm not going to let anything bring me down,'' said the second-year back, who turned 24 on Friday and has posted rushing touchdowns in each of Buffalo's last four games.

Is McGahee better than Tomlinson?

"I'm not even getting into that one. That one I'm going to leave (alone),'' said Bills coach Mike Mularkey, who has turned his offense over to McGahee and veteran quarterback Kelly Holcomb. "I'm never going to compare players. No players. Never will do that."

This week, McGahee emphasized his importance to his team -- Buffalo is 9-1 when he rushes for 100 or more yards -- by running around the practice field in Orchard Park, N.Y., on Wednesday, smacking himself with an imaginary riding crop after scoring a TD in a drill.

"I'm a workhorse, a fine breed!'' McGahee said. "You're not going to find too many like this.''

Mularkey believes his running back is stronger than he was in 2004, when McGahee finished with 1,128 rushing yards -- second-most in franchise history for a first-year running back -- and amassed over 100 yards in seven of his 11 starts.

"With Willis, it's two different years -- one year, he's still coming back from an injury where he was still testing it and he hadn't been tackled in a couple of years. He was still feeling his way through holes in training camp,'' Mularkey said. "This year, without Travis Henry here, he came in and knew he was the starter.

"He came in here with some confidence in his health. And I think the health thing made his offseason workouts even better. I think he's stronger and faster."

What an idiot. Why can't he just play the game and keep his trap shut. Immaturity at it's best... Better than LT2? Pleaseeee.. :banana:

This man must be kidding himself or high or something if he thinks he is hands down better LT.

Prove it Kid....less than one full season does not make a great RB.

As of now you cant hold LT jock.

Break a leg Willis!!

:banana:

Break a leg Willis!!

NOOO!! I need his confident a ss to take me to the playoffs in my league...

Willis, You are a RB.

WRs talk like that.

RBs shut there pie hole and do there jobs, WRs have diaria of the mouth, shut up and keep your positive trend.

For the sake of argument - who knows what McGahee would have accomplished in San Diego or LT2 in Buffalo for that matter.

We need to take the fantasy blinders off and look at the NFL in the real world. There is a chance has the capability of being "better" but is in the wrong system to showcase his talents. We see that all of the time.

I have to say that if Willis had an offense like SD he could put up the same #'s as Tom Tom. I don't think it is harmful to have a little competition like that. I my opinion he can say it all he wants, maybe it will spur the both of them to step up and play better. There could be some very good thinngs coming from this.

Willis, You are a RB.

WRs talk like that.

RBs shut there pie hole and do there jobs, WRs have diaria of the mouth, shut up and keep your positive trend.

You forget - he's a Miami Hurricane RB.

Think Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James...

Blasphemy!!! LT2 is the best in the NFL hands down. His numbers were MVP type and he played thru a goin injury for half the season.

Guest matuski

McGahee might not be the best RB in his division.

There isn't one thing that McGahee does better than LT.. Not one.. LT has a chance to be a top 5 back of ALL TIME.. McGahee isn't in the current top 5..

Other than that McGahee may be right..

:thumbsup:

There isn't one thing that McGahee does better than LT.. Not one.. LT has a chance to be a top 5 back of ALL TIME.. McGahee isn't in the current top 5..

Other than that McGahee may be right..

:thumbsup:

:o

I'm sure Tampa Bay didn't come away thinking he was the best back in football.

And I bet Dallas and Denver didn't come away thinking LT was... kind of a silly argument.

:headbanger: If you say Ronnie Brown I'm going to puke!! :pointstosky:

Why? It's very possible that it is the case, give Ronnie some time.

And I bet Dallas and Denver didn't come away thinking LT was... kind of a silly argument.

Kinda silly to declare yourself the best at anything. Others declare you the best, you don't do it yourself. If you have to tell people you're the best, than you probably aren't.

Willis is definitely not the top RB in the league, but he is definitely the best RB in the Division

McGahee

Dillon

Martin

Brown

R Williams :ph34r:

:headbanger: If you say Ronnie Brown I'm going to puke!! :pointstosky:

We're talking about right now, not in the future. :pointstosky:

:pointstosky: If you say Ronnie Brown I'm going to puke!! :pointstosky:

We're talking about right now, not in the future. :headbanger:

:headbanger:

Willis is definitely not the top RB in the league, but he is definitely the best RB in the Division

McGahee

Dillon

Martin

Brown

R Williams :ph34r:

i don't think it's fair to even say that.

martin is at the end of his career.

mcgahee has yet to last a full season, so good luck in matching dillon's numbers from 2004.

who knows what ronnie brown will do? maybe miami actually assembles an o-line and gets the offense some protection.

and ricky williams. well as bad as he is right now, mcgahee still has a lot to do before he can match up statistically to what williams has done.

when mcgahee was making his comeback and busting his butt training, i was totally rooting for the guy. however, once he started running his mouth about him being better than travis henry (which i don't know what the heck happened to that guy), i lost all respect for him and he keeps sinking to lower levels.

better than lt? better than priest? better than shaun alexander? i reaaaaally don't think so. not yet, anyway. last a full season or two, then we'll see.

what are you talking about he hasnt lasted a full season? he was getting stronger last season as the games went on. he missed 0 games because of injury

As a Bills fan, not sure how to take this. You want the guy to have an ego. At the same time, you think that man, he really believes that he's the best (and he's not). He is setting the stage for his contract extension negotiations. With Rosenhaus as his agent, don't be surprised if he holds out next year. B) :)

Mcgahee is good, but come on dude, you need to have a complete game to be considered the best in the game. LT caught 100 passes, has scored TD's in 18 straight gimme a break.

Oh yah and the best thing about LT, hes humble, ask LT where he ranks and he doesnt talk ###### saying hes the best, he only considers himself an 8 out of 10 as a RB, and the only thing he thinks he the best at is passing and he says that jokingly. LT has a love of the game and a respect for the game and his opponents, hes not that stupid to give other teams bulletin board info

Mcgahee is good, but come on dude, you need to have a complete game to be considered the best in the game. LT caught 100 passes, has scored TD's in 18 straight gimme a break.

Oh yah and the best thing about LT, hes humble, ask LT where he ranks and he doesnt talk ###### saying hes the best, he only considers himself an 8 out of 10 as a RB, and the only thing he thinks he the best at is passing and he says that jokingly. LT has a love of the game and a respect for the game and his opponents, hes not that stupid to give other teams bulletin board info

Oh, yeah... not to mentioned the fact that he admitted that there are more rooms to improve as a player.

:lol: If you say Ronnie Brown I'm going to puke!! :lol:

ronnie is doing well so far. he's a rook, he's hasnt had the easiest schedule to run against, he missed time at training camp. by the looks of him, he could be very good in years to come.

McGahee is going to Jinx that ol knee of his with comments like this...

Wat ya talkin bout Willis? :lol:

Willis is only stepping up to be the leader of the team. TKO is out, the QB situation is still up in the air and there is no solid leader. Coach M I'm sure is challenging him to be the leader of the bills after calling him out after the TB game a few weeks ago. Willis is doing what he is told....be the leader of the Buffalo Bills!

Kinda silly to declare yourself the best at anything. Others declare you the best, you don't do it yourself. If you have to tell people you're the best, than you probably aren't.

:shocking:

Very well said!

For the sake of argument - who knows what McGahee would have accomplished in San Diego or LT2 in Buffalo for that matter.

We need to take the fantasy blinders off and look at the NFL in the real world.  There is a chance has the capability of being "better" but is in the wrong system to showcase his talents.  We see that all of the time.

It's not like LT2 was born into a playoff caliber Charger team. His first two years in San Diego, he had less talent around him than some of McGahee's Hurricane teams and he still dominated. The "system" back then was give it to LT2 and get out of the way -- and that included his linemen.

The only guy i would throw down good cash to see play is LT, its just fun to watch. The dude is lightning fast. Mcgahee is good but he is nowhere near LT. Top 5 in the league though id say.

LT is one of the ALL time greats: Hands, Legs, Brains & Heart. Good for his team and good to his community.

Willis seems to be a pretty good RB.

Can't even compare the two at this point.

Very well said!

;)

Guest 00ITR499
I have to say that if Willis had an offense like SD he could put up the same #'s as Tom Tom. I don't think it is harmful to have a little competition like that. I my opinion he can say it all he wants, maybe it will spur the both of them to step up and play better. There could be some very good thinngs coming from this.

When LT was in San Diego with no line and no QB, he still kicked a55.