Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

Portis looking to join ELITE company

Portis is expected to play in his 50th NFL game on Sunday. The fourth-year running back could be only the fifth player in NFL history to rush for 5,000 yards in his first 50 games.

He needs 143 yards to join Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell and Jim Brown, along with former Denver great Terrell Davis, as the only NFL backs at the 5,000-yard rushing level after 50 games.

Dickerson broke the 5,000-yard barrier in his 45th NFL game. The others on the list are as follows: Campbell (46 games), Brown (48 games), Davis (50 games).

Guest matuski

Clinton Portis does not belong in the same sentence as those players.

I was fihally able to dump him and his 0 TD's on somebody else(they had big bye wk 9 problems and were getting desperate). I got Jackson for him. Finally, some TD's at RB!

They should credit the Denver OL with the record if he does get it. Portis didn't do jack.

Guest Karim Abdul-Jabbar

So much hate for Portis. :headbanger: He is a quality back doin what he does run the ball. It may not work out well for Portis owners in FF (and im one of them) but he is a good back.

They should credit the Denver OL with the record if he does get it. Portis didn't do jack.

Yes; Portis didn't do jack, is like saying Jerry Rice needed Joe Montana or Steve Young to do what he did -

Come stronger with an argument then that lame arse comment!

They should credit the Denver OL with the record if he does get it.    Portis didn't do jack.

Yes; Portis didn't do jack, is like saying Jerry Rice needed Joe Montana or Steve Young to do what he did -

Portis being a complete waste in Washington is all the evidence that is needed.

They should credit the Denver OL with the record if he does get it.    Portis didn't do jack.

Portis being a complete waste in Washington is all the evidence that is needed.

I guess u don't watch the Redskins, cause he is doing fine.

Maybe not a fantasy stud, but a quality back who is getting better and better as the season goes along.

Portis is running VERY hard. Each week, the team appears to be getting better on offense. I think in 4 weeks, he'll have 5-7 TDs and we won't be having these type of discussions. The yardage, effort is there. The TDs will hopefully follow.

I think fantasy players only look at points sometime, and ignore good play.

lets get real here. here racked up all those yards in denver. and hasn't done ###### in washington

Nah, I look at his 3.8 YPC last season and his no TD's this season and come to this conclusion. The guy isn't the same RB that he was in Denver, there is no way anyone can dispute this.

And I can find you a dozen RB's in the NFL that can do what Portis is doing right now... the only reason he even has a shot at this "ELITE" company is because of the inflated stats he had in the Denver system.

lets get real here. here racked up all those yards in denver. and hasn't done ###### in washington

1508 - 2002

1591 - 2003

1315 - 2004

So last year... he had 185 yds LESS then his "normal" 1500

and PLEASE remember, he is NOT playing the Chefs, Raiders, and SD a total of 6 times.. he is playing teams that ACTUALLY play defense in Dallas, NY, and Philly.

so please, when you want to complain about Clinton, please factor EVERYTHING into the equation. I'm sick and tired of the whole Denver line argument.

Where is Olandis Gary? - he was a product on that line?

Portis had the worst statistical season of his pro career in 2004, but he still rushed for 1,315 yards (more than Ahman Green, Deuce McAllister and Jamal Lewis) and recorded eight total touchdowns.

Portis had the worst statistical season of his pro career in 2004, but he still rushed for 1,315 yards (more than Ahman Green, Deuce McAllister and Jamal Lewis) and recorded eight total touchdowns.

In case you hadn't noticed, you're comparing Portis to guys that spend a good part of the season injured last year and in all cases except for Ahman missed multiple games. That says it all.

1300 yards isn't anything in today's NFL. Scrubs can hit 1K.

FF wise, he's frustrating. But the guy does rack up the yards (he is doing it for the Skins as well, not just Denver). Brunell and S. Moss owners owe this guy some thanks for keeping the opposing D honest. Top 10 RB? I don't know. Probably not. But to say he sucks is just ignorant.

FF wise, he's frustrating. But the guy does rack up the yards (he is doing it for the Skins as well, not just Denver). Brunell and S. Moss owners owe this guy some thanks for keeping the opposing D honest. Top 10 RB? I don't know. Probably not. But to say he sucks is just ignorant.

I didn't say he sucked, merely that the only reason he is vying for this is because of inflated stats in the Denver system. I also said that there are a dozen RB's in the NFL that could do what he has done in Washington, which again doesn't say he sucks - being in the top 15 or so isn't bad. It just points out that he isn't special by any means, which a record like this might suggest.

In case you hadn't noticed, you're comparing Portis to guys that spend a good part of the season injured last year and in all cases except for Ahman missed multiple games. That says it all.

Portis missed 2.5 games last season - just in case you didn't know

Name a few scrubs that hit 1000 yards recently.

False - he started 15 games.

Barlow...nough said!

2004: Reuben Droughns

2003: Kevan Barlow, Anthony Thomas

2002: Duce Staley, James Stewart

2001: Dominic Rhodes, Antowain Smith, Lamar Smith fell just short

2000: Lamar Smith, James Stewart, Ty Wheatley, James Allen

Yes, scrubs hit 1K nowadays...

FF wise, he's frustrating.  But the guy does rack up the yards (he is doing it for the Skins as well, not just Denver).  Brunell and S. Moss owners owe this guy some thanks for keeping the opposing D honest.  Top 10 RB?  I don't know.  Probably not.  But to say he sucks is just ignorant.

I didn't say he sucked, merely that the only reason he is vying for this is because of inflated stats in the Denver system. I also said that there are a dozen RB's in the NFL that could do what he has done in Washington, which again doesn't say he sucks - being in the top 15 or so isn't bad. It just points out that he isn't special by any means, which a record like this might suggest.

DrJ - Actually, it wasn't your posts that I had in mind when I commented!

and left 2 of them in the first qtr

and left 2 of them in the first qtr

Either way, he got 340 or so carries which is as many as any RB can expect in any season. And with that he outperformed a bunch of injured dudes wearing flak jackets and ankle boots. Yay, that isn't saying much.

Ahman Green had 80 less carries and only 140 less yards. Jamal Lewis had over 100 less carries, and only 300 less yards. Deuce had about 80 less carries and only about 250 less yards.

With the carries Portis got, he sucked compared to those RB's.

And something you just can't refute is that there is no way he would even be close to hitting 5000 yards right now had he never played in Denver.

Portis is a solid RB, but nothing more. He was a product of the system.

^^Well if not 5000, I'm sure 4500 is acurate. But in any event, I don't take 5000 serious. When/if he gets to 10,000 and is still in that same company, come talk to me.

Scrubs in your eyes - but SRUBS are not in the NFL

its funny that these "scrubs" are in the NFL; just not "Brand name" type players

Minus Droughns, most of these guys were pretty good college players.

its funny that these "scrubs" are in the NFL; just not "Brand name" type players

Scrubs - guys that have no business being starting RB's.

If you want to say that James Allen, Lamar Smith, and guys like these werent scrubs, well, I'm sorry but you're in total denial defending your boy.

And you saying Droughns wasn't a good college player shows just how little you know.

Anyone that can't acknowledge a good RB is ignorant. Portis IS a good RB and has had a very nice start to his career. I just want to see what his stats look like after 100 games. Longevity makes great backs.

Guest Karim Abdul-Jabbar

1508 - 2002

1591 - 2003

1315 - 2004

So last year... he had 185 yds LESS then his "normal" 1500

and PLEASE remember, he is NOT playing the Chefs, Raiders, and SD a total of 6 times.. he is playing teams that ACTUALLY play defense in Dallas, NY, and Philly.

so please, when you want to complain about Clinton, please factor EVERYTHING into the equation. I'm sick and tired of the whole Denver line argument.

Where is Olandis Gary? - he was a product on that line?

and he missed games in 2004 as well... Portis is a hell of a back... get over your FF-Prognostic idiocracy and move on... there is more to football than FF.

Guest Karim Abdul-Jabbar

and...

if he would of played all of the games in 2004 for washington, he may have finished with 1600 yards.

Scrubs - guys that have no business being starting RB's.

If you want to say that James Allen, Lamar Smith, and guys like these werent scrubs, well, I'm sorry but you're in total denial defending your boy.

And you saying Droughns wasn't a good college player shows just how little you know.

Droughns - a JUCO All-America

Two-year starter at Oregon after a stellar two-year career at Merced (Calif.) Junior College and was a first-team All-Pac-10 choice as a senior…Ranks sixth on Oregon's all-time rushing list with 2,058 yards…Had 1,234 yards and 9 TDs on 277 carries as a senior, including rushing for over 200 yards in three contests…

In his first game for Oregon, he ran for 202 yards and 2 TDs against Michigan State…Ran for 172 yards and a score despite fracturing his right fibula in a game vs. UCLA - an injury that would force him to miss the rest of the season…A JUCO All-American at Merced after leading the nation in yards (1,611) in 1997 and leading the state of California in all-purpose yardage with 1,984…Prep Star Magazine deemed him the nation's top JUCO running back after that campaign…Was an honorable mention All-American as a freshman…History major at Oregon.