Sign in to follow this  
beefalo

cbs sportsline rule

currently i have Bulger and mcnair as my qb's, according to cbs sportsline both will be out for sundays games. cbs, our league's web site, will not allow a pickup for tomorrows game due to a game being played on friday. Our league rules state the waiver wire will process transaction from wednesday to saturday. Our commish states he will not process due to the site not allowing this to occur. I am currently in 3rd place and am up against the first place team who happens to be the commish. Does the site overrule the commish? Please help.

It is really up to the commish - but it's your fault, you were depending on McNair to play when there were reports all week he wasn't practicing? You should've hit the waiver wire, now you're screwed.

i agree.

but the commish does have the ability to do any moves needed regardless. i am a commish and i could pick up a player for any team right now.

Rule is Rule.

Don't blame your commish for your laziess.

I sure he has power. But this case, he will be doing you a favor.

I am a sportsline commish and can overide and make a transaction whenever I want, but the rules are the rules, you can't start pulling ###### like this and expect the league to put up with it you should have picked up another QB just in case like I had to do. Have Bulger and McCown, was unsure about McCown so I pounced on Brunnell and am starting him regardless of McCowns status.

i agree.

but the commish does have the ability to do any moves needed regardless. i am a commish and i could pick up a player for any team right now.

:lol:

Our league rules state the waiver wire will process transaction from wednesday to saturday.

That says it all right there. Your Commissioner is deliberately breaking league rules.

He has the ability to override CBS if he wants to. He just chooses not to because he wants a cheap win.

Our league rules state the waiver wire will process transaction from wednesday to saturday.

That says it all right there. Your Commissioner is deliberately breaking league rules.

He has the ability to override CBS if he wants to. He just chooses not to because he wants a cheap win.

Please. Our rules say this as well only because it's an auto-generated statement set up by Sportsline based on the league configurations.

Be that as it may - like an earlier poster said - that every knows what Sportsline really means is that it's Tues-Sat - provided that the first NFL game is on Sunday. Otherwise, drop/adds end as soon as the first NFL game snaps the ball. In our case - (being the Commish) I sent an email our Thursday informing everyone about the game and that their lineups should be in place before kickoff Friday - snooze ya lose.

That does kind of suck. Was McNair ruled out after the last nights game had started, or before?

It seems like a cheap win for the commish. To keep it fair and honest for everyone, with no free wins, I think the commish should let him pick someone up.

I'm all for a competitive league, not one with cheap ass wins. Its not fair to everyone else in the league that one guy gets a free win because of something like that.

I know most of you like to get the cheap win, but what fun is that?

That does kind of suck.  Was McNair ruled out after the last nights game had started, or before?

It seems like a cheap win for the commish.  To keep it fair and honest for everyone, with no free wins, I think the commish should let him pick someone up.

I'm all for a competitive league, not one with cheap ass wins.  Its not fair to everyone else in the league that one guy gets a free win because of something like that.

I know most of you like to get the cheap win, but what fun is that?

For what's worth. How is what he did (stalling) any different that any other team whose starter is a "gametime" decision of a Monday night game? Should those people be able to do drop/adds on Monday mornings? Of course not.

In short - every team assumes the same risk when an NFL game is played early and we are all "locked in" - be it Thanksgiving, the inevitable Saturday night games later this season, or in this case - weather driven. Risk is the same for all.

I am a commissioner on a sportsline league and we had the same problem. The problem with the current situation is that the change to the schedule came out of nowhere due to the hurricane. If this was any other week, players would be able to be added/dropped and traded all the way up to the first scheduled game which would have been Sunday. If it was later in the year, such as Thanksgiving weekend, rosters would be frozen after kickoff of the Thanksgiving game. The difference in this situation is there was literally only two days notice of the schedule change to Friday. I decided I would manually override the site and execute add/drops on a first come first serve basis based on time of receipt of emails from owners. This was my personal decision to go the "extra mile" to ensure none of the owners in my league got screwed and to handle the adjustment in the fairest way possible. Bottomline is that it is the personal decision of each commissioner how they want to handle the situation. I don't think I can fault a commissioner for allowing the website to handle the add/drop situation and not getting involved. Either decision is fair as long as it enforced the same way across the board with no exceptions.

Seems to me the answer depends upon whether each team in your league must have its entire roster specified before the first game of the week, and whether pick-ups are prohibited once the first game starts. In my league (also CBSSportsline), we only have to activate the players from the teams that are playing the early game (for example, this week, Miami and KC) and ONLY those players are "locked in"; other players at the remaining positions can be changed, including by means of waiver pick-ups.

In the past, has your league shut off any pick-ups once the first game of the week starts (such as when there's a Thursday night game), or has it allowed pick-ups after the Thursday game? If the latter, then I think your commissioner is completely wrong, and is relying upon an unusual situation caused by the rescheduling of the game to try to obtain an unfair and inappropriate advantage for himself.

I'm also a sportsline player with Bulger and McNair in my only league. On Friday, when McNair didn't practice again, I picked up Martin just in case, knowing that there was an early game. But I can see the point both ways.

Please. Our rules say this as well only because it's an auto-generated statement set up by Sportsline based on the league configurations.

Where did the original poster state that his league's rules are auto-generated by Sportsline? :wub:

Look, I can only go by what the original poster said. And if he says it's in the league rules, then I say those rules should be followed.

Where did the original poster state that his league's rules are auto-generated by Sportsline? :wub:

Look, I can only go by what the original poster said. And if he says it's in the league rules, then I say those rules should be followed.

You must not use Sportsline. Everyone knows when you click on the League Home link and select Rules than the rules listed are auto generated for every league. The only parsing that can be written is under the Constitution areas.

I can tell you are rules state (copy and pasted):

• Lineup deadline is 5 minutes before gametime for each player.

• Owners may set lineups.

• Add/drops are handled by a waivers process.

• The waivers process runs on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

• The waiver order resets after each weeks' games.

• Dropped players remain on waivers for at least 1 day(s).

• Owners may do trades.

• No trades can be made after the trade deadline of 12/5/05.

(Click Here to set a reminder)

• Owners may make trades during the offseason.

These were autogenerated by the same Sportsline that did not allow drop/adds after the Friday game. In addition, on Thursday, Sportsline posted a big, fat, yellow billboard on the league homesite warning teams and leagues of this forthcoming action item. I am sorry if this hurts that team. But we all play by the same rules and risks.

yeah, I have Plax and when word went out on late Friday that he might night play. I had to drop McCown and pick up Brandon Jones, just in case.

Rules are rules

I think a real problem here is we don't know what the full rules are in beefalo's league and how they've been applied in the past. My league utilizes CBSSportsline, but the rules we have do not completely coincide with those posted by Indy. (I'm not suggesting Indy is wrong, merely that the "standard" rules of CBSSportsline can be and have been altered by particular leagues.)

As a practical and logical matter, though, I'd think that if in the past teams in his league have been permitted to pick up players after an early game, then he should be permitted to do so in this instance as well. If historically teams have been allowed to pick up players after a Thursday night game, then it's neither fair nor consistent to prohibit him from doing so after a Friday game.

currently i have Bulger and mcnair as my qb's, according to cbs sportsline both will be out for sundays games. cbs, our league's web site, will not allow a pickup for tomorrows game due to a game being played on friday. Our league rules state the waiver wire will process transaction from wednesday to saturday. Our commish states he will not process due to the site not allowing this to occur. I am currently in 3rd place and am up against the first place team who happens to be the commish. Does the site overrule the commish? Please help.

I'm a commish, and just got a call from some one in my league with Mcnair and Bulger asking the same thing. RTsports allows him to add a QB and start him, but our rules state that line ups must be in by the start of the first game of the week, and I sent out an email stating this on Thursday when I found out about the game being moved. I wish I couldv'e let him do it, but rules are rules. I'm always a stickler when $$ is on the line.

Guest Loose Circuits

In both my leagues I specifically proposed this question to both commishes. One commish agreed to process the waiver claims manually (he does that for any week with games prior to noon Sunday) the other said you have to make all add/drops prior to Friday's game. Needless to say, everyone knew where the rules lied due to my questioning... This is something that should have been discussed prior to Friday's games. If it wasn't it is at the discretion of the commish, I would suggest having a league poll on the subject and let the league vote on what they think should happen...

I am a commissioner on a sportsline league and we had the same problem. The problem with the current situation is that the change to the schedule came out of nowhere due to the hurricane. If this was any other week, players would be able to be added/dropped and traded all the way up to the first scheduled game which would have been Sunday. If it was later in the year, such as Thanksgiving weekend, rosters would be frozen after kickoff of the Thanksgiving game. The difference in this situation is there was literally only two days notice of the schedule change to Friday. I decided I would manually override the site and execute add/drops on a first come first serve basis based on time of receipt of emails from owners. This was my personal decision to go the "extra mile" to ensure none of the owners in my league got screwed and to handle the adjustment in the fairest way possible. Bottomline is that it is the personal decision of each commissioner how they want to handle the situation. I don't think I can fault a commissioner for allowing the website to handle the add/drop situation and not getting involved. Either decision is fair as long as it enforced the same way across the board with no exceptions.

Same here.