Sign in to follow this  
lost.on.draft.day

Student dies after goal post pulled down in Morris

jus saw this on ESPN

MORRIS, Minn. -- A 20-year-old University of Minnesota-Morris student was killed Saturday when football fans pulled down a goal post at the end of the Cougars' 34-28 overtime homecoming win over Crown College.

Richard Thomas Rose, of Benton City, Wash., was a junior at Minnesota-Morris and a member of the men's basketball team, the school said.

Rose was pronounced dead at a hospital after attempts to revive him on the field failed, Minnesota-Morris Chancellor Sam Schuman said.

Schuman said the stands were full with probably about 1,000 fans watching the last football game at "Cougar Field." The Cougars move to a new stadium next season.

Schuman said students were "understandably quite upset."

"He was a popular young man, and I think students are shocked and in a very deep state of grief," Schuman said. He said the school will offer counseling to students, staff and faculty.

No one else was hurt. An autopsy will be conducted.

Minnesota-Morris is a public liberal arts school of about 1,700 students in west-central Minnesota, about 135 miles northwest of Minneapolis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2201014

I guess their was no budget for security. They might re-name that school University of Minnesota-Richard Thomas Rose; after his parents sue the school, the town, and everyone else they can.

:D Sad Story :)

I guess their was no budget for security. They might re-name that school University of Minnesota-Richard Thomas Rose; after his parents sue the school, the town, and everyone else they can.

:rolleyes: Sad Story :(

No budget for security, sounds like the Vikings, hey is there a connection there, both in Minnesota?

And autopsy, for what?, a goal post to the freakin melon would be my general opinion for cause of death.

A few years ago a student was paralyzed in the same type of goalpost celebration. This was at Ball St. I think.

They sued everybody (including the goalpost manufacturer) and so far haven't collected anything that I've heard about.

:pointstosky:  Sad Story  :banana:

No budget for security, sounds like the Vikings, hey is there a connection there, both in Minnesota?

And autopsy, for what?, a goal post to the freakin melon would be my general opinion for cause of death.

I'm sure that this is necessary for legal reasons. You can imagine a defense lawyer claiming that w/o an autopsy they couldn't know if the student had a pre-existing heart condition that caused his death after the head trauma. Horrid.

A few years ago a student was paralyzed in the same type of goalpost celebration. This was at Ball St. I think.

They sued everybody (including the goalpost manufacturer) and so far haven't collected anything that I've heard about.

You are correct. The manufacturer was not found liable:

http://www.nam.org/s_nam/doc1.asp?CID=455&DID=235342

Now had this taken place in California instead of Indiana....

:wub: Sad Story :)

It is sad. The thing is when you run onto a field after a game these things happen. It does not matter how much security you have, you can't stop students from charging the field in a big game. I am sure that the lawyers will see things differently.

:lol: Sad Story :shocking:

Why do you need extra security? Pulling a focking goal post down is just stupid. If you have that many people rushing a football field, you would need about 500 or so security guards.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to get killed. Those things are focking heavy, and idiots hanging on it and pulling it down into a crowd of people is just focking stupid.

The worst part about the situation is that the kid who died probably was just standing there, and had nothing to do with the goal posts.

Don't sue the school. Sue the focking students who thought it would be a good idea to pull the goal posts down.

Honestly, does the school need to tell students they can't destroy school property like that? :lol:

America has become a sad story when everyone thinks they should just sue. Give me a break....how about the fans stay off the field and no one would've died. I do feel for the family, but there's no way they should sue anyone.

:( Sad Story :(

Yea, because it's obviously the school's fault he is out on the field. :banana:

Ya gotta love those morons who think the best way to celebrate is to riot and destroy property. They deserve what they get. :banana:

:( Sad Story :(

I think this is a case of personal accountability.

If the parents do sue. they should be sued for entering another classic example of a frivalous lawsuit which in the end is merely blood money.

The only way this would end in a suit is if his presence on the field with merit or if the posts went into the stands.

As for security. this is a school of 1700. even in big program schools, venues have a hard time keeping a mob away from the field after these events. What do you want for them to unload a machine gun into the crowd?

is truly a sad sad way to go.

you can only hope that people take a moment to think first and not be so tempted to be lead into harm like a lamb.

:banana:

I was once hanging onto the end of a goal post at Fsu with the crowd yanking on my legs to try to get it down...after 2 mins my alcohol soaked brain realized that if it worked I would probably get hurt...I let go and started to try to move away from the post but everyone else was going the other way and I got maybe 10 feet in a minute... When it came down it came down quick and hard and knocked over abunch of people. People picked it up and started parading around with it and I grabbed the end that came out of the ground as the crowd moved my hands slipped off and went over the spot where it had been welded to the ground and sliced my hand real good.

Its really pretty focking stupid but I was a young dumbass