Sign in to follow this  
ggroovy17

Where will Edgerrin James sign next year?

I think he personally is the best free agent out there, even better than Alexander. Do you think Indy will re-sign him? I think they would have a hard time replacing him. I think he'd be the perfect back for Philly.

I honestly don't know where the money would come from to resign him. The Colts have to resign Freeney and Wayne as well. The local beat writers and radio guys suggest he will be gone after this season.

The big picture is that the Colts tendered him a 1 year offer; signed Simon; have the other dudes in the last year of their contract; new stadium deal pushed this Summer all happening at once. Colts put all of their eggs in one basket this season to get the stadium approved and make a hard push to the Super Bowl.

Personally, I believe Edge will be let go and Freeney and Wayne will be re-signed.

Edit: As for a replacement - I would bet that the Colts take a look at any RB in a RBBC situation right now. They may be able to get someone "on the cheap" who is looking for a starting role. The Colts traditionally never go the RBBC route themselves and it would certainly attract an RB that is frustrated in their current situation to step over to a playoff caliber team.

Personally, I believe Edge will be let go and Freeney and Wayne will be re-signed.

It makes it hard for them to slap the franchise tag on him too knowing they might need to use it on Freeney or Wayne.

It's hard to imagine they'll be able to keep all three around and I think Freeney would be their first priority. It'll be interesting to see how much money Reggie Wayne could get in free agencey this year. Plaxico Burress got a pretty nice deal from the Giants and I'd imagine Wayne could ask for as much or more. I don't know if the Colts would be able to match that.

I think Corey Simon's hit against the salary cap may jump quite a bit in the second year as well.

Read somewhere a month or so ago in the paper, wouldn't it be ironic if Edge went to the giants and played with the second coming of Manning. haha.

Food for thought, don't think it could happen(tiki's new extension trough 08). How about the Jets?

Cardinals are a possibility, Green would love to grab Edge, Catching/Running RB.

Honestly, the only teams I could see him going to are the Cards, Jets, Giants, or Titans. Cards most likely

Edit: As for a replacement - I would bet that the Colts take a look at any RB in a RBBC situation right now. They may be able to get someone "on the cheap" who is looking for a starting role. The Colts traditionally never go the RBBC route themselves and it would certainly attract an RB that is frustrated in their current situation to step over to a playoff caliber team.

As an Eagles fan, it would hurt to see Westbrook end up on a team like the Colts if the Eagles don't re-sign him. They could probably get him for less than Edge, but the asking price might still be out of their range.

Seems like he'd be a good fit in their offense and the thought of carrying the ball 20-25 times a game, as oppossed to 12-15 a game with the Eagles, might be enough to lure him away if the contract offers are roughly the same.

Najeh Davenport might be someone they could get at a fairly cheap price. Teams might shy away from him becasue of the season ending injury.

Honestly, the only teams I could see him going to are the Cards, Jets, Giants, or Titans. Cards most likely

If the Eagles let Westbrook go they could pursue Edgerrin James or Shaun Alexander in free agencey. If they release Terrell Owens it will save them 5 million against next years cap and they are already 10-15 million under it.

He will be the captain of the VIKINGS boat love fest next year!!!!!!!

E JAMES that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he'll go to the Eagles if they don't win the Superbowl. They need to esbablish a running game and Westbrook is not that type of runner. The Eagles have plenty of cap room to sign James

On the other hand, I don't think the Colts will sign Wayne. Wayne will get too much from free agency. I think the Colts GM put that one-year tender on James to see how the market is this year to re-sign him. Freeney won' t get the franchise tag because they will sign him to a long term deal.

The Colts can afford to lose Reggie Wayne, they CAN'T afford to lose Edgerrin James! The style of offense they run now relies too heavily on a good running back. You can't replace James as easily as some people think.

Well given Jerry Angelo's (Bears GM) record, he will probably throw anothe $20m at a running back. Benson - christ.

As a Lions fans I fear the possibility of seeing Edge and/or Alexander in my division next year. I wouldn't put it past the Viqueens or the Pack to go after them. Though Green Bay needs to focus on that o-line.

The aren't many teams with enough salary cap room. The Eagles have the room, but they aren't a running team. I can't see them spending that much money on James when they will need another receiver and they are a passing team. Had they wanted a high priced running back, they could have traded for one this offseason.

The Cardinals will have the cap room, but would Edge want to play in the desert? Would he want to play with a team that has no offensive line?

The Packers will be about 16 million under the cap this offseason. They need two new lineman and a whole slew of defensive help. I'm not sure if they want to pay mega-bucks for James. They still have to sign Walker.

The Vikes won't be able to sign him. With the signing bonuses they gave their free agents this year, they will be against the cap ceiling the year after next. If they signed James, they would have to purge their roster in only one year.

The Jets need a QB and a cornerback. They will suffice with Blaylock next season.

The Jaguars will have the cap room and a coach who is desperate for a running game.

The Titans are full at the RB position....

The 49'ers will also have plenty of cap room and will be in need of a great RB to help take the pressure off of Smith.

Just some thoughts.

The 49ers will get their running back in the draft though.

The Colts will sign him somehow. There are ways to work around the salary cap.

Edge will probably be gone, but...

...if I were the GM and my #3 WR was Stokely and my #4 was Dallas Clark, I'd let Wayne walk. Wayne will most likely want "#1 money" even though he's only the #2 on his team. With both Harrison and Stokely inking long-term deals last year, I would think Freeney and a RB would be the top priorities. Rhodes signed a two-year deal in the offseason and could be given top-shot at the starting job in '06 (assuming Edge is gone). I also would not be surprised to see a guy like Michael Bennett attempt to resurrect his career in Indy.

i wouldn't sign edge to a big multiyear if i was the colts. freeney is by far the bigger priority. also, even though he's not that old edge's milage is high and he already looks like he's starting to slowdown. i think he's got 1-2 good years left in him (if that) and then will be facing a sharp drop off.

however, if the colts win the afc or the superbowl i think they may figure out a way to keep the whole team together for 1 more year.

How do the Eagles gain cap room if they cut Owens? I'm not a cap expert, but ussually when teams cut a high priced player early, they take a cap hit. Example being when the Packers cut Hunt this year they took a 2-3 million hit. Owens deal is worth more than Hunts was so I don't see how Philly is gaining cap space to sign anyone. Also, I don't know their situation, but those corners are probably coming due for extensions. They can't afford to get rid of them.

How do the Eagles gain cap room if they cut Owens? I'm not a cap expert, but ussually when teams cut a high priced player early, they take a cap hit. Example being when the Packers cut Hunt this year they took a 2-3 million hit. Owens deal is worth more than Hunts was so I don't see how Philly is gaining cap space to sign anyone. Also, I don't know their situation, but those corners are probably coming due for extensions. They can't afford to get rid of them.

when teams cut any player they're no longer responsible for their salary so it opens up cap room. however, they are now responsible for whatever part of the signing bonus hasn't already been covered in previous years (for cap considerations).

in general "cap hits" are pretty widely misunderstood. when most players are cut it opens up cap room. cutting a player early in a contract that had a huge signing bonus it may not. these situations are the exception, not the norm, however.

As I knew before the begining of the off season James wanted to play in Florida, I would say there is a good possibility he might end up playing for Jax. Seattle would be stupid not to try and keep Alexander, I would like to think they will keep him.

I was thinking about trading James in my TD keeper league for S.Moss and R. Brown.

...he (Edge) already looks like he's starting to slowdown. i think he's got 1-2 good years left in him (if that) and then will be facing a sharp drop off.

:doublethumbsup:

The poor guy is setting career highs in yards per carry (4.7) and rushing yards per game (110.3). He's also on pace to either match or eclipse his career high number of rushing TD's in a season (13). More importantly, the Colts are 6-0.

Where exactly is the "slowdown"??

...he (Edge) already looks like he's starting to slowdown.    i think he's got 1-2 good years left in him (if that) and then will be facing a sharp drop off.

:doublethumbsup:

The poor guy is setting career highs in yards per carry (4.7) and rushing yards per game (110.3). He's also on pace to either match or eclipse his career high number of rushing TD's in a season (13). More importantly, the Colts are 6-0.

Where exactly is the "slowdown"??

When he drives to the arena he drive 5 miles slower than he used too...he is becoming more responsible.. :doublethumbsup:

The Vikes won't be able to sign him. With the signing bonuses they gave their free agents this year, they will be against the cap ceiling the year after next. If they signed James, they would have to purge their roster in only one year.

At least on the Vikings you are very wrong. The only guy they signed or traded for last offseason who will count bonus money against the cap is Smoot and his bonus money was put over 3 years, not 6 like most other teams would have done. All of the others counted completely against this year's and could be cut without any cap hit. I've read the projections they will be 25 million under before they cut anyone so they will probably be further under than that.

First things first.... To the person that said I'm "very wrong" about the Vikings cap for next year.... Read my post again. I stated it will be THE YEAR AFTER NEXT when the signing bonuses roast that team. Next year they will have cap money, but the year after that, due to the way the have their bonuses structured, that team will be in salary cap hell. Why would anyone, let alone a stud like Edge, want to go to a team with a one year window? He wouldn't.

The Eagles had the cap room to have 10 million of Owen's signing bonus count against last years cap. If they cut him this offseason, or trade him, they are only resposible for 1.3 million. That's not much of a hit when they will be 20 million under the cap. I look for them to release Owens and nab a couple other younger wide receivers. Wayne may be one they have their eye on. He is much younger and I don't see how the Colts can afford to keep him......... They are near the cap limit now. Letting Edge walk only clears up 8 million. Peyton and Harrison's contracts both escalate next season meaning the cap room will be very tight again.

If the Eagles let Westbrook walk, they might sign him.

First things first.... To the person that said I'm "very wrong" about the Vikings cap for next year.... Read my post again. I stated it will be THE YEAR AFTER NEXT when the signing bonuses roast that team. Next year they will have cap money, but the year after that, due to the way the have their bonuses structured, that team will be in salary cap hell. Why would anyone, let alone a stud like Edge, want to go to a team with a one year window? He wouldn't.

The way the Vikings have their cap structured is that they take big hits in the first year of the contract, using roster bonuses. Then if they have to cut someone, the cap hit is minimal (if any). Being 20+ million under the cap again next year, they should be doing the same thing.

I am fully aware of how the Vikes structure their cap. ESPN did a report on them when they re-signed Fatpepper. After this upcoming season, they will have nearly 20 million in signing bonuses due the following season. If they choose to cut the players that have the bonuses coming, they will still have over half that amount count against their cap.

On top of that, they either have to re-do Bryant McKinnie's deal or face a cap situation like what St. Louis did with Pace a few years ago. Most teams add on a 6th or 7th voidable year to high first round picks contracts. With our St. Louis team, we either had to restructure Pace's contract or face him counting 15 million against the cap. This was 2 seasons ago. He restructured, but only to a one year deal and was franchised thereafter.

The Vikes had two first rounders this season who will also have escalating contracts after next season.

The only way they can avoid salary cap hell in 2007 is to cut the future cap problems next offseason. Do you really want to lose your left tackle, a stud corner, an excellent d-tackle.......... You can't do it and remain competitive. God forbid they have another high first round pick this season and have to pay them a huge bonus.

I'm not a Vikings basher at all. I like the team. Reality is reality though.

It has to do with how Owens contract was set up. The Eagles only gave Owens about a 2 million dollar signing bonus. His salary for that first season was about 7.5 million though, which means Owens received about 9.5 million dollars in the first year of his deal.

This year he is making about 3.5 million. So in the first two years of Owens deal he has made 14 million dollars which is why his signing bonus wasn't very high.

Usually teams set contracts up where they give a player about 12 million in a signing bonus and then the other 2 million would have been made up in his base salary the first two seasons. They do it that way because the players cap hit over the first two seasons would be much less if the player was signed to a 7 year contract.

If the Eagles had done it that way than cutting Owens would be about a 7-10 million dollar hit against the cap next season. Instead, Owens is due a 5.5 million dollar roster bonus next season, but his base salary is much smaller. If the Eagles cut Owens before the roster bonus is due the only money that will count against their cap is the pro-rated portion of the 2 million dollar signing bonus and possibly whatever his base salary is.

If they decide to keep him, I believe his number against the cap will be in the 5.5-7.5 million dollar range.

As for their cornerbacks, the Eagles signed both Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown to 6 year deals last season. Michael Lewis, Brian Westbrook and Jon Runyan are the 3 top players they need to make decisions on. I doubt they'd let Lewis go, but they don't seem willing to meet Westbrook's asking price and they may not be interested in re-signing Runyan unless they can get him at a reasonable price.

How do the Eagles gain cap room if they cut Owens?  I'm not a cap expert, but ussually when teams cut a high priced player early, they take a cap hit.  Example being when the Packers cut Hunt this year they took a 2-3 million hit.  Owens deal is worth more than Hunts was so I don't see how Philly is gaining cap space to sign anyone.  Also, I don't know their situation, but those corners are probably coming due for extensions.  They can't afford to get rid of them.

It has to do with how Owens contract was set up. The Eagles only gave Owens about a 2 million dollar signing bonus. His salary for that first season was about 7.5 million though, which means Owens received about 9.5 million dollars in the first year of his deal.

This year he is making about 3.5 million. So in the first two years of Owens deal he has made 14 million dollars which is why his signing bonus wasn't very high.

Usually teams set contracts up where they give a player about 12 million in a signing bonus and then the other 2 million would have been made up in his base salary the first two seasons. They do it that way because the players cap hit over the first two seasons would be much less if the player was signed to a 7 year contract.

If the Eagles had done it that way than cutting Owens would be about a 7-10 million dollar hit against the cap next season. Instead, Owens is due a 5.5 million dollar roster bonus next season, but his base salary is much smaller. If the Eagles cut Owens before the roster bonus is due the only money that will count against their cap is the pro-rated portion of the 2 million dollar signing bonus and possibly whatever his base salary is.

If they decide to keep him, I believe his number against the cap will be in the 5.5-7.5 million dollar range.

As for their cornerbacks, the Eagles signed both Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown to 6 year deals last season. Michael Lewis, Brian Westbrook and Jon Runyan are the 3 top players they need to make decisions on. I doubt they'd let Lewis go, but they don't seem willing to meet Westbrook's asking price and they may not be interested in re-signing Runyan unless they can get him at a reasonable price.

Your right about the iggles. They will probably let runyan walk and just draft a OT in the first round. There is tons of talent at OT this year and they can get a very good tackle late in the first.

As for westbrook,they probably will not resign him unless he makes them feel they NEED him. They let go of duce, buckhalter was their man he went down then they moved onto westy. In that system they can just plug in and they'll be fine. Moats could be good in there, or they draft a RB in the second round.

Owens won't be cut, don't know where all of that is coming from so just end it now.