Sign in to follow this  
GuidingLight

Packer fans....

We'll find out where the Lions and Bears stand by the end of next weekend.

One of things that does stand out to me on this thread is that injuries seem to be the reasons that teams are playing below their potential. I have to say that the Lion's have been hit by far the hardest in this category.

QB:Garcia just returning after breaking his leg.

Receiver: down to a rookie (guess it was smart to draft him after all), and a guy signed off the practice squad as the starters.

RB: Jones still beat up--Questionable for this last game? Schlesinger (I know I spelled it wrong) just coming back after being out all year.

Defense: you name it. Bryant out for year, looks like Bly needs surgery, Rogers hurt hit knee, Davis was out a week or two ago.....it goes on and on.

I do not recall one single post stating injuries as the reasons the Lions have lost any games this season. The fact that they have held together and currently still, after 7 weeks, still in first place certainly deserves some credit. The only game the lions have not been in till the last play was Chicago.

The Lion's have an opportunity next weekend to take charge of the division and give Chicago a payback, or it could go the other way. I think the Lion's are the better team overall---I think Chicago is the team thats currently playing better. Next weekend is a big game.

One of things that does stand out to me on this thread is that injuries seem to be the reasons that teams are playing below their potential.  I have to say that the Lion's have been hit by far the hardest in this category. 

Receiver: down to a rookie (guess it was smart to draft him after all), and a guy signed off the practice squad as the starters.

RB:  Jones still beat up--Questionable for this last game? Schlesinger (I know I spelled it wrong) just coming back after being out all year. 

Defense: you name it.  Bryant out for year,  looks like Bly needs surgery, Rogers hurt hit knee, Davis was out a week or two ago.....it goes on and on.

I do not recall one single post stating injuries as the reasons the Lions have lost any games this season.  The fact that they have held together and currently still, after 7 weeks, still in first place certainly deserves some credit.  The only game the lions have not been in till the last play was Chicago. 

The Lion's have an opportunity next weekend to take charge of the division and give Chicago a payback, or it could go the other way.  I think the Lion's are the better team overall---I think Chicago is the team thats currently playing better.  Next weekend is a big game.

Garcia is not your starter at the beginning of the season...

WR...lost 2 of our top 3...3 of our top 4 or 5 when Murphy went down too... and had to play a guy from the world league.

RB...wow, you lost Jones for how long? We lost our #1 and #2 basically for the season now...

Lost our Center on an already depleted line...and our only other regular starters over the past few years are dinged up as well.

Lions hit the hardest? Do you watch the NFL?

and nobody is saying it is the only reason...but someone asked what happened, and injuries are a big part of what went on, if nothing else it allowed coverage to shift solely towards Driver. It is not the reason, but it sure as hell is one of the reasons. and yes, Lions fans have talked about Roy and Rogers being hurt...same with Garcia and Jones...

i cant believe we're getting excuses.

blaming it on the mrob play? looked like a catch to me, i didnt even know if was disputed at all. not to mention that the call of offensive pass interference the previous play was pretty clearly crap since roman was in his way.

blaming it on injuries? the vikings have been ravaged all season by injuries too, and its not like we suddenly got healthy the second half. the o line has been banged up and the defense has been in shambles injury-wise.

bottom line is that you guys dominated the first half, and we dominated the second half more. it was a game of halves, and a good game over all. favre couldnt miss a beat in the first half, but give the vikes credit for making changes at the half to take driver mostly out of the game and finding some way to finally get daunte into a rhythm.

good game overall and we finally got you guys by a field goal. do it all over again in a few weeks at your place, and i have no doubt that the results may well be different.

I'm a Packer Fan, and I hate to say it...but this guy is right

One of things that does stand out to me on this thread is that injuries seem to be the reasons that teams are playing below their potential.  I have to say that the Lion's have been hit by far the hardest in this category. 

RB:  Jones still beat up--Questionable for this last game? Schlesinger (I know I spelled it wrong) just coming back after being out all year. 

Defense: you name it.  Bryant out for year,  looks like Bly needs surgery, Rogers hurt hit knee, Davis was out a week or two ago.....it goes on and on.

I do not recall one single post stating injuries as the reasons the Lions have lost any games this season.  The fact that they have held together and currently still, after 7 weeks, still in first place certainly deserves some credit.  The only game the lions have not been in till the last play was Chicago. 

The Lion's have an opportunity next weekend to take charge of the division and give Chicago a payback, or it could go the other way.  I think the Lion's are the better team overall---I think Chicago is the team thats currently playing better.  Next weekend is a big game.

Garcia is not your starter at the beginning of the season...

WR...lost 2 of our top 3...3 of our top 4 or 5 when Murphy went down too... and had to play a guy from the world league.

RB...wow, you lost Jones for how long? We lost our #1 and #2 basically for the season now...

Lost our Center on an already depleted line...and our only other regular starters over the past few years are dinged up as well.

Lions hit the hardest? Do you watch the NFL?

and nobody is saying it is the only reason...but someone asked what happened, and injuries are a big part of what went on, if nothing else it allowed coverage to shift solely towards Driver. It is not the reason, but it sure as hell is one of the reasons. and yes, Lions fans have talked about Roy and Rogers being hurt...same with Garcia and Jones...

Garcia wasn't the starter the first game, but according to a good portion of fftoday participants--could've, should've, and would've been by the 4th week.

So I'll I agree that we're about even at receiver--perhaps even give you the edge because of Walker being out all year.

RB: Just because K. Jones is toughing it out right now doesn't mean he is healthy. We are pretty much equal on this as Ahman has been playing hurt as well. Cory S. being out every game this year has been big---coincidence that there were 0qb sacks this week. (Garcia and his scrambling helped too).

OL: All o-lines get beat up with numerous injuries throughout the year.

Defense: Because this is the strength of the Lions team this is why I said "the lion's have been hit the hardest".

Injuries for any team stink and have and definately affect every team at some point during the course of the year. The fact that the lions have maintained a 500 record while playing the 3 top defenses in the league deserves some credit. If they end up being 6-3 or 7-3 further into the season--do we still have to put up with all the lions suck posts---just curious.

And yes I do watch football.

Garcia wasn't the starter the first game, but according to a good portion of fftoday participants--could've, should've, and would've been by the 4th week. 

So I'll I agree that we're about even at receiver--perhaps even give you the edge because of Walker being out all year.

RB: Just because K. Jones is toughing it out right now doesn't mean he is healthy.  We are pretty much equal on this as Ahman has been playing hurt as well.  Cory S.  being out every game this year has been big---coincidence that there were 0qb sacks this week.  (Garcia and his scrambling helped too).

OL: All o-lines get beat up with numerous injuries throughout the year. 

Defense:  Because this is the strength of the Lions team this is why I said "the lion's have been hit the hardest". 

Injuries for any team stink and have and definately affect every team at some point during the course of the year.  The fact that the lions have maintained a 500 record while playing the 3 top defenses in the league deserves some credit.  If they end up being 6-3 or 7-3  further into the season--do we still have to put up with all the lions suck posts---just curious. 

And yes I do watch football.

Ferguson is likely gone for the year as well...and Murphy is gone for the year. 3 of the top 5 out for the season. Even? Not really sure there.

Yes...all O-lines get dinged up...but this is one that could least afford it. Lost 2 guards, C out...the only two regular remaining starters are dinged up pretty good...even so, they are doing very well in pass protection...just stink in run blocking.

And the Packers strength is their offense. Now they have 2 weapons on offense. Driver and Favre. Thats it.

3 top defenses? They have not played the Colts, the Ravens are 6th...and it was not your offense that beat that team...it was your defense because their offense is just plain awful. And you lost to the Bears(badly) and snuck by Cleveland whose offense is also not quite that good.

Yes...the Lions still suck...you beat 3 bad teams in Green Bay, Cleveland and Baltimore...and you will keep getting the Lions suck posts until they win a game that really matters...

So for the record...Does next weekends game against Chicago matter seeins how the other 3 wins do not?

The Lions will be lucky to score 13 pts. against the Bears next week!

Edinger won the game. A struggling kicker on a struggling team makes the longest FG of his career with the game on the line. I was one stunned Packer fan. It was a great kick that any kicker would miss most of the time. Gotta be special teams Player of the Week.

3 top defenses? They have not played the Colts, the Ravens are 6th...and it was not your offense that beat that team...it was your defense because their offense is just plain awful. And you lost to the Bears(badly) and snuck by Cleveland whose offense is also not quite that good.

2005 Regular Season NFL · AFC · NFC Team Sortables - DefensePassingRushingReceivingScoringPuntingKickoffsReturnsField GoalsTotal DefenseTurnovers

Total Defense

Team G Plys Yds/G Y/P FD/G 3rd Md 3rd Att 3rd % 4th Md 4th Att 4th % Pen PenYds TOP TF L

Tampa Bay 6 319 233.3 4.4 12.8 20 71 28.2 4 8 50.0 43 316 25:58 12 8

Baltimore 6 350 251.7 4.3 15.7 27 80 33.8 1 3 33.3 41 290 27:50 6 3

Chicago 6 378 260.2 4.1 14.3 27 90 30.0 2 8 25.0 47 398 30:17 8 3

I'm not a fan of either team but I watched the whole game.

Farve was Dominant the First half.

End of first half Daunte made 2 really nice throws that were dropped.

2nd Half it was all Culpepper, he was playing very very well.

Throwing nicely, no picks, nice targeting, and he even found holes to run 41 yards.

Culpepper is not back yet, but that 2nd half in green bay has a good chance of turning this team around..

Comment all you want with the 'Vikings suck 2-12 blah blah blah' 'were up agianst whoever'  They are still a NFL team who just won a big game, they are not out yet.

the vikes are very much in it along with the bears and lions. those of us that predicted a vike-lion fight for the division stand a good chance of being proven correct at the end of the year, though the bears now look to be there at the end, too.

Dumb fock

The Bears manhandled both the Lydowns and the Vikings. I know you have no clue about reality but get a grip. Don't u have to go polish Suckington's knob? His feelings might be wounded given he may never get to play QB again with the Lydowns.....or any other NFL team.

Great the Bears beat two crappy teams.

If Harrington was the quarterback of the Bears this season, I think they have the same record. Kyle Orton hasn't had the playing time Harrington has, but he really hasn't done anything other than be a warm body back there. Thomas Jones and the defense have won those games.

correction... 3 crappy teams that bears have beaten so far

:cheers:

I'm not a fan of either team but I watched the whole game.

Farve was Dominant the First half.

End of first half Daunte made 2 really nice throws that were dropped.

2nd Half it was all Culpepper, he was playing very very well.

Throwing nicely, no picks, nice targeting, and he even found holes to run 41 yards.

Culpepper is not back yet, but that 2nd half in green bay has a good chance of turning this team around..

Comment all you want with the 'Vikings suck 2-12 blah blah blah' 'were up agianst whoever'  They are still a NFL team who just won a big game, they are not out yet.

the vikes are very much in it along with the bears and lions. those of us that predicted a vike-lion fight for the division stand a good chance of being proven correct at the end of the year, though the bears now look to be there at the end, too.

Dumb fock

The Bears manhandled both the Lydowns and the Vikings. I know you have no clue about reality but get a grip. Don't u have to go polish Suckington's knob? His feelings might be wounded given he may never get to play QB again with the Lydowns.....or any other NFL team.

Great the Bears beat two crappy teams.

If Harrington was the quarterback of the Bears this season, I think they have the same record. Kyle Orton hasn't had the playing time Harrington has, but he really hasn't done anything other than be a warm body back there. Thomas Jones and the defense have won those games.

Correct...and the main thing you said is "won those games"!

Joey Harrington and Kyle Orton are not going to win games by themselves. Not now or not ever. They both could hold the "warm body Trent Dilfer" job and let the rest of the team win the game while they hand off or make high percentage passes.

on Joey... that has been proven and agreed.

on Orton... time will tell.. 6 games do not make a career nor make it compareable to 4years of jokington

and if orton does was dilfer did and win a superbowl using the rest of his team, then more power to him and I am behind him 100%. At least he can do that and win, unlike girlington...

if i may add a small piece of news flash here that I am sure such an avid football fan like yourself just probably forgot...

ONE PLAYER DO NOT WIN A GAME OR CHAMPIONSHIP

IT TAKES A WHOLE TEAM EFFORT.

but i digress...

The Packers tried to run the ball in a lot of key situations and just couldn't get the plays made. They also had 2 missed field goals which would have made the difference. Obviously the defense was pretty soft in the second half, but that is nothing new - they don't have a defense that can close out games so when the offense falters, they are going to loose. The injuries did play a part and exposed the lack of depth on the team even more, but there is plenty of blame to go around.

I think that for many people, including me, this game was a crucial game for the season. They are now really in the cellar of the division and will almost surely be 1-8 by the time they host Minn and have a chance at a second win. Yes Injuries are a part of the game, but we all knew that the Packers were not a deep team and would rely on a high powered offense to win games this year. As the injuries pile up, the offense can't get in sync and they don't have the talent on the rest of the team to pick up the slack. Which leaves the important questions... how long until Favre gets injured, and what kind of draft pick will they get next year?