Sign in to follow this  
ffootball32

David Akers set to return soon

AKERS RETURN ON HORIZON?

October 24, 2005

By BOB KENT

Pro Bowl placekicker David Akers could be back on the practice field as early as this week and could even kick in Sunday's game at Denver.

"If Akers is not back this week, he'll be back the next," head coach Andy Reid said in his day-after game press conference.

When asked if Akers will practice this week, Reid said, "We'll see. I think within the next few weeks here, he should be able to work it out."

Akers tore his right hamstring in the Week 3 win over Oakland back on Sept. 25 and has not kicked since. He's just following the orders of head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder and his staff.

Akers acknowledged last week that he must be patient with the injury.

"Believe me, I'm the last person that wants to go back out there and have it happen again because it affects my livelihood, my career, and all of that," Akers said. "Obviously, I want to get back on the field as quickly as possible, but I need to be 100 percent before I get out there so this won't happen again."

Making sure Akers is 100 percent, Reid says, is crucial.

"You bank on what the doctors say," Reid said. "We're in touch with what's supposed to be the best guy in the country. We're going to listen to him and see how David feels and go from there."

Todd France has done an admirable job filling in for Akers. He has drilled all five of his PATs and has connected on 6-of-7 field goals, including a 44-yarder. He's averaged 60.6 yards on 16 kickoffs.

"Todd's done a nice job," Reid said. "He had good hang time on his kicks (Sunday). He gave guys an opportunity to get down the field."