Sign in to follow this  
sprewell43

Is FF really a RB game?

I've heard so many times how RB's make or break a team. In my league other than Manning the 1st 19 picks were RBs.

After two weeks of 10 yard games from my WRs, I'm thinking they are the deal-breakers for FF teams, not the RBs.

Guest Loose Circuits

The team that scores the most points wins.

HTH

The team that scores the most points wins.

HTH

:lol:

If you think it is wrong go against it. Player evaluation and prediction is what makes the ff game. Late round steals, etc...

Even without points for receptions. RBs are important, but they change much more during the year. And any scrub (eg Antwain Smith) can get you 10 points. If you dont get LT, SA, or PH, I think its' all about the WRs.

Runningbacks are the most important since you need two and the top tiers fall off so fast. That being said running backs are the most easiest positions to predict. WR have a much higher supply yet are the hardest to predict. I always say the owner that can pick the right WR's is most likely to win.

the Last 2 winners in my league had Alexander, LT and the first place team has LT again this year.

Having a guy like LT or alexander is a huge advantage if the guy you are playin is startin a scrub like antwoine smith

I won it last year with LT, Deuce, Kevin Jones, and Mcgahee and a bunch of scrub recievers.

Lets say there are about 10 good fantasy running backs and the rest are average

But there can be up to 30 good fantasy wideouts

If you dont get LT, SA, or PH

It took me five minutes to figure out who "PH" was.....nobody calls him PH...next time just write "Priest" or "Padre". lol

I think RBs and WRs are generally pretty equal in importance, with a slight edge probably going the the RBs. If I've got #1 draft pick, I'm probably going to take a RB over WR.

Of course, in my 2nd league, the commish set up stupid scoring, in my opinion. RBs get 1 point per 10 yards, while WRs get 1 point per 15 yards. Definitely makes RBs more valuable in that league. I like it better when it's 1 point per 10 yards for RBs and WRs. Just my preference, though.

:banana:

Zone I agree but if you dont get LT or SA then it comes down to recievers. LT and SA are by far the best, and the owners of those guys are doing well in all my leagues. But other than that, the guys that aqre doing well are the S Smith, S Moss, T Owens' guys, because the rest of the RBs are typically 100/1 guys.

The other thing is that RBs are more likely to get injured and replacements are easy to find all year.

For more consistency it is a RB game, when drafting getting good RBs is important. I have always thought this until this year. I my league where we start 3 WR my WRs have exploded. i have T.O., S. Smith, Larry Fitz, and Jimmy Smith. These guys have single handedly won me games with bad performances by J. Lew and S. Jackson.

in FF nothing is certain

I'm currently 6-1 and in first place with Domanick Davis and Warrick Dunn as my starting Runningbacks. BUT my receivers are Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, and Hines Ward. No PPR, 1 pt for every 10 rush/rec., 6 pt TD's, -2 for fumbles...

I think the guy who said if you don't get LT, Alexander that receivers make the difference has hit the nail on the head.

It is much easier to pick up WR and play the matchups weekly than RB's. My top three WR's to start the year were ROY, Coles, and Bruce. In the last 5 weeks I have picked up Galloway, Jurevisious, Ferguson, and AZ Hakim. During that span I have the second most points for WR's that were in starting lineups. In comparison the only waiver wire RB's that were in starting lineups and produced anything are Greg Jones (14 points) and A. Smith (18 points) both in week 6.

It is much easier to pick up WR and play the matchups weekly than RB's. My top three WR's to start the year were ROY, Coles, and Bruce. In the last 5 weeks I have picked up Galloway, Jurevisious, Ferguson, and AZ Hakim. During that span I have the second most points for WR's that were in starting lineups. In comparison the only waiver wire RB's that were in starting lineups and produced anything are Greg Jones (14 points) and A. Smith (18 points) both in week 6.

Excellent point

I have Owens, Moss, and Galloway (in addition to Manning at QB). I'm 2-5.

Why?

Because my RBs -- Fred Taylor and Reuben Droughns -- have sucked.

Meanwhile, the guys with LT, Alexander and Edge are all 4-3 or better. Getting consistent points out of your RBs is key to winning at FF.

I struggled the first 5 weeks without a quality WR. Driver is the only consistent one, and even he had a couple off weeks.

I made a 10 player deal in which I gave up Collins, Crumpler, Cincy D for Moss and Graham (the other 5 were basically throw ins).

Moss has gotten me zilch (yup, I benched him yesterday :( ) in the first two weeks.

I started out 3-2 and now I'm 5-2. Why? Well, when it isn't LT, it's Farve or Brunell.

My other RBs are T Jones and C-Mart (Bell rides the pine).

Between my QBs and my RBs I couldn't have an unproductive week if I tried.

I'll be danged if I can get more than 1 good game a week out of Driver, Kennison, Lloyd, Porter and Randle El.

Maybe I'm myoptic - I'm a rookie - but IMO it's easier to find consistent production from RBs than WRs. Last year Harrison had 6 weeks when he had less than 80 yards.

Of course, if I didn't have LT saving my bacon every game (until yesterday) I'd probably sing a different tune.

Now, the argument here is which position is more valuable the RB position or the WR position? The answer is neither. They are both equally important because you need to both to be productive consistently to be successful.

You could argue that picking a running back like SA, LT, Edge, Priest(last 3 years), or even Manning last year is the key to victory. Now, I for one refuse to believe that having one of those players or consistent running backs is the key to winning. Sure it helps, and alot of times they can carry you through a rough week. What about the weeks when they are back down to this earth though, like this week for example the guy in my league who had LT was beaten horribly this week, and the guy with SA luckily had an opponent who barely scored anything has had consistent running backs, but his record will only be 3-4 now. Thats a great example of a guy who has Shaun Alexander and Mike Anderson, but is doing horribly because T.Green has done nothing for him ad neither have C.Chambers, D.Bennett, and R.Williams. He would have an unstoppable team if had gotten the best value at each pick in the draft which I don't believe he did at all. Running backs are important but WR's are just as important and you get 3 of them(depending on your league). What good is a team that scores 60 pts from running back one week but only gets 15 from their wideouts. To be successful you need a well-rounded team that has consistency all around.

What if your one of those guys who wasn't able to get a top 5 running back which in most leagues is atleast 5 other teams? The guy who won our league last year was carried by Culpepper all season long, and didn't have a top tier running back.

The most valuable position in fantasy football is yours. Its what you do as far as picking up players of waiver wires, how you draft is incredibly important but a bad draft doesn't have to be the end of the season, how you bounce back from injury is even more important, or how you manage your team when picking up and trading players. They may score the points, but your position is the one that makes sure they are your points. Sure running backs score more TD's than WR's on average, but they are also 25 running backs in the league that are worth a start every week, and they are always getting hurt and can be replaced by their back up and be just as effective in their system(look at Kansas City last year). NO matter how consistent your running backs are, unless both of them score 40 points a week you need not only your WR's but your TE, your QB and how you deal with injuries to the ones you have. Lets face it most of us don't have the best of depth at QB.. and when our guy goes down aka Bulger for many you have to know what guy is on the waiver wire that could help you the most that week.

In the end, its not the running backs or the wide recievers or the running back who scores 2 TD's, and has over 100 yds every week thats going to get you a championship. Its the "position" you boldy took to grab Mark Brunell in week 4 that gave you that extra boost, or the trade for Santana Moss you made after week 2 when you saw him breakout vs Dallas, or picking the quickest one to pick up Neil Rackers after seeing how well the Cardinal offense got down the field with those WR's but couldn't finish the job which you knew would give them more opportunities to let their Kicker take a shot, or when you drafted the Colts defense in Round 12 because you saw how they picked up C.Simon and seemed to have improved as a whole.

In the end it all comes down to you and how you "position" your team for the playoffs..

The team destroying one of my leagues starts Edge, SSmith, Holt, and CJohnson. Every week 2 or 3 of them have HUGE games. He's had high score 5 of the 7 weeks.

the Last 2 winners in my league had Alexander, LT and the first place team has LT again this year.

Having a guy like LT or alexander is a huge advantage if the guy you are playin is startin a scrub like antwoine smith

I won it last year with LT, Deuce, Kevin Jones, and Mcgahee and a bunch of scrub recievers.

Lets say there are about 10 good fantasy running backs and the rest are average

But there can be up to 30 good fantasy wideouts

I am in ppr league and the guy that has LT2 is in second to last place... he used the first pick to get him and instead of then getting some wr help at the end of the second round he got another RB... it all depends on the league setup...

RB, WR, TE....all points are equal. Thats why you need to get the player with the most value. That being said, RBs are still more valuable. They have more value in trades then a WR. An "a" WR is worth a "b" RB. This is because RBs are more likely to be injured, which means teams are going to become desperate for help at RB. Also, every NFL team starts 2 WRs, but only 1 RB. Which means the pool of RBs is much thinner then WRs. I know stacking uo at RB has paid major dividends for me this season. I am a huge proponent of drafting heavy on RBs and then dealing them to get whatever WRs pan out, instead of risking picks on these Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson types.

I think good RBs are crucial for a team that wants to consistently win. There are RBs who are guaranteed 20+ looks, 100 all-purpose yards, and about 1 TD/game. If you have one or two of those, you are in great position to take the league.

Of course, your decisions for WR are then just as crucial. It matters little if you have Tomlinson and Edgerrin James at RB if you have Joey Harrington at QB and Andre Johnson, Michael Clayton, and Nate Burleson at WR.

Good all-around management, good draft picks, and a lot of luck makes winning teams.

We start 2RBs and 3WRs and a RB/WR flex with PPR scoring (1 pt per rec and 1/15 for yrds). I'm have been starting 4 WRs all season because my 4th WR has been outscoring the RBs on my bench with the PPR.

That being said D/ST is the highest scoring position in our league. We get points for points against, yards against, and turnovers/sacks/etc.

Some how I am 4-3 even though I lead the league in overall points :thumbsup:

Bottom line: Its all in the scoring.