Sign in to follow this  
mnvikejohn

Mike Vick's Problem In A Nutshell

"Vick, Dunn lead Falcons to victory over Jets" - Reuters

This headline show's how ridiculious the man love for Mike is. Sure he scored on a couple of 1 yard TD run's but come on. Should say "Defense, Dunn lead Falcons to victory over Jets".

I can't think of any QB more over-rated that Vick. This guy should not be a QB.

If I were a Falcons fan, I would much rather have Matt Schaub in there than Vick.

I am sure that all of you are extremely happy with what he has to throw to.  Think hard the best WR he has ever hard was PEERLESS PRICE and he cant crack the Cowboys depth chart, he is about #6 or #7 there!  He dressed this week only because Crayton (I Think) broke his ankle!  VICK has nothing but a running game and his skill set.  THAT IS IT!

So Atlanta has no WR's???

Schaub must be a super STUD, because playing NE he had a great game!

18/34 298 yards 3 TDs and 0 INT

----------------REC-YDS-TD--LG

B. Finneran----5---103--0---53

A. Crumpler---6----99---1---28

M. Jenkins-----3----55---0---19

W. Dunn-------2----23---0---12

D. White-------1----14---1---14

J. Griffith-------1----2----1---2

I've always liked Vick's exciting style of play, but last night was the first time I've watched him in a while. It looks to me like he has not progressed as a passer since his rookie year.

The Vick experiment has been more success than failure, I guess, because the Falcons win with him under center. However, it looks like their hope that Vick would develop more touch and accuracy may never be realized. He does have a gun, but he looks less like a speedier Randall Cunningham than a speedier Bobby Douglass.

I think Atlanta will change QBs within a few years. Vick will take them to the playoffs, but his Achilles heel--his erratic passing--will repeatedly sink them. Some good teams have been able to disarm Vick, either by keeping him in the pocket or by running up big leads that force him to pass. He really should be playing RB or WR.

Let's breakdown one of Favre's interceptions tonight.

Favre takes the snap

He looks

He rolls left, nothing downfield

He looks for the check down

One of the non-inured receivers for the Packers is open 6 yards away

Favre see's one of his non-injured receivers that is not out for the rest of the season, cocks and fires

He fires a 100 mph fastball that looks like it hits the non-injured receiver that is not out of the rest of the season.

The ball bounces in the air and the Bears pick it off.

Am I the only one that see's this?  Put some touch on the freakin pass.  Favre should be a RB, he obviously cannot throw a consistent ball in the NFL.

:ph34r:

Don't even try to put him in Favre's class not only is Vick not in Favre's class he's not even in the school he is still playing in the school yard. <_<

whats green bays record?

He's never gonna get his team to the Super Bowl if he doesn't become a passer. 

Atlanta has to get past teams like Philly and Tampa, who have drawn up the blueprint in how to contain him and shut him down. 

Until he find a passing game, Atlanta will never get back to the Super Bowl.  <_<

The Eagles have the same problem as it relates to a running game. The Falcons can't pass and the Eagles can't run. Either way, both are going to have difficulties winning the big games when they are so one dimensional.

How do you know the Eagles don't have a running game when they throw the ball 80% of the time. They might be able to run the ball, Reid simply doesn't want to find out.

Favre takes the snap

He looks

Favre see's one of his non-injured receivers that is not out for the rest of the season, cocks and fires

He fires a 100 mph fastball that looks like it hits the non-injured receiver that is not out of the rest of the season.

Am I the only one that see's this?  Put some touch on the freakin pass.  Favre should be a RB, he obviously cannot throw a consistent ball in the NFL.

Don't even try to put him in Favre's class not only is Vick not in Favre's class he's not even in the school he is still playing in the school yard. :thumbsup:

whats green bays record?

Greenbay lost there stud wr in Walker and Lost the starting rb and 2nd rb, Lost there top pick rookie wr. Plus Greenbays deffense is garbage compared to Atlanta's. Put Vick at qb for the Packers and he would be lucky to win a game. Favre is a hall of fame qb. I doub't Vick ever will be.

He's never gonna get his team to the Super Bowl if he doesn't become a passer. 

Atlanta has to get past teams like Philly and Tampa, who have drawn up the blueprint in how to contain him and shut him down. 

Until he find a passing game, Atlanta will never get back to the Super Bowl.  :lol:

The Eagles have the same problem as it relates to a running game. The Falcons can't pass and the Eagles can't run. Either way, both are going to have difficulties winning the big games when they are so one dimensional.

How do you know the Eagles don't have a running game when they throw the ball 80% of the time. They might be able to run the ball, Reid simply doesn't want to find out.

so why has reed said in three straight weeks that they "must run the ball to be successful" and that they want to "renew their commitment to the running game"? :thumbsup:

if you think they don't have to, you're fooling yourself...and if you think McNafro can pass that team to a superbowl championship, doubly so.

If you can't run the ball, you can't control the clock. If you can't control the clock and your opponent can, you lose. Football 101. The Eagles must learn to run the football to make McNabb/Owens more effective and more importantly to give their defense a breather. Long sustained drives do more for you than simply score points and control T.O.P. - they give your D a chance to catch their breath.

Mike Vicks problem in a nutshell?

Only on a FF board would a player who wins games using his skill set within a system that works with it but that doesn't include throwing for 300yards be considered for a thread titled "his problem." Its laughable...laughable I say!

Falcons 2001 preVick 6-9

Falcons 2002 w/Vick: 9-6-1 playoffs

Falcons 2003 w/o Vick: 5-11 (3-2) games Vick came back to start so really 2-9 w/o Vick

Falcons 2004 w/Vick: 11-5 playoffs

Falcons 2005: w/Vick: 5-2

Michael Vick may never throw 300 yards or throw 3 TDs or fit the mold of what you all consider to be a QB but Vick's only "problem" is that he wins despite all this and still has idiot detractors that think he should be benched. Only here can people adamantly call for the benching of a player that has a clear positive impact on his team. He is a different type of QB with a different skill set than is traditional, but he uses these skills within the falcons system to win and that is what ultimately matters. I think you are all retarded and not cute retarded either.

Favre takes the snap

He looks

Don't even try to put him in Favre's class not only is Vick not in Favre's class he's not even in the school he is still playing in the school yard. :banana:

whats green bays record?

Greenbay lost there stud wr in Walker and Lost the starting rb and 2nd rb, Lost there top pick rookie wr. Plus Greenbays deffense is garbage compared to Atlanta's. Put Vick at qb for the Packers and he would be lucky to win a game. Favre is a hall of fame qb. I doub't Vick ever will be.

TELL YOU WHAT, PUT VICK IN A GREEN BAY UNI AND I WILL GARUNTEE YOU HE WILL ONLY DO 1 THING.

WIN GAMES. THATS WHAT HE DOES!!!!!! PERIOD

Only on a FF board would a player who wins games using his skill set within a system that works with it but that doesn't include throwing for 300yards be considered for a thread titled "his problem." Its laughable...laughable I say!

Falcons 2001 preVick 6-9

Falcons 2003 w/o Vick: 5-11 (3-2) games Vick came back to start so really 2-9 w/o Vick

Michael Vick may never throw 300 yards or throw 3 TDs or fit the mold of what you all consider to be a QB but Vick's only "problem" is that he wins despite all this and still has idiot detractors that think he should be benched. Only here can people adamantly call for the benching of a player that has a clear positive impact on his team. He is a different type of QB with a different skill set than is traditional, but he uses these skills within the falcons system to win and that is what ultimately matters. I think you are all retarded and not cute retarded either.

Thank you for posting that irrelevant pile of nonense to confirm that Vick supporters really have no basis for their support of him. Very entertaining. Sheer drivel, but entertaining nonetheless. :banana:

TELL YOU WHAT, PUT VICK IN A GREEN BAY UNI AND I WILL GARUNTEE YOU HE WILL ONLY DO 1 THING.

CONSTANTLY RUN FOR HIS LIFE AND LOSE EVERY GAME 37-3 BECAUSE HE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PASS EFFECTIVELY. THATS WHAT HE DOES!!!!!! PERIOD

Fixed!

:banana:

Only on a FF board would a player who wins games using his skill set within a system that works with it but that doesn't include throwing for 300yards be considered for a thread titled "his problem."  Its laughable...laughable I say!

Falcons 2001 preVick 6-9

Michael Vick may never throw 300 yards or throw 3 TDs or fit the mold of what you all consider to be a QB but Vick's only "problem" is that he wins despite all this and still has idiot detractors that think he should be benched.  Only here can people adamantly call for the benching of a player that has a clear positive impact on his team.  He is a different type of QB with a different skill set than is traditional, but he uses these skills within the falcons system to win and that is what ultimately matters.  I think you are all retarded and not cute retarded either.

Thank you for posting that irrelevant pile of nonense to confirm that Vick supporters really have no basis for their support of him. Very entertaining. Sheer drivel, but entertaining nonetheless. :banana:

Thank you for refuting my point with no susbstance or relevant argument as is your typical style. I mean the team record with and without him clearly has no bearing on this argument. Perhaps the insults will make you look like you know what you are talking about instead of looking at facts and the bottom line. Scooter, as 9/10 members know....you are the Mike Tice of this board.

Fellas. You all are making decent points. You can talk about Shaub and Vicks WRs all you want. Schaub made mince meat vs a depleted Patriots secondary, but he STILL LOST. ROOKIE OR NOT! He has lost every game that he has played in. PERIOD END OF SUBJECT!

And yes, I say he has no WRs and never has. You all are asking him to be a 65% completion guy and that he isnt. You dont want to talk about wins and losses fine!

You can call him a RB in QBs clothing and the bottom line is this. WHEN HE IS ON THE FIELD...THEY WIN...WHEN HE IS OFF THE FIELD...THEY LOSE!

He Breaks his leg and they miss the playoffs. He is hurt in a game and they lose. He doesnt play, they lose. Maybe it is the D playing harder because you think he sucks, DOESNT MATTER TO ME. What I would just like for you to do is to preface your comments with this.....MIKE VICK is a terrible QB, but he sure as hell wins games!

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

Only on a FF board would a player who wins games using his skill set within a system that works with it but that doesn't include throwing for 300yards be considered for a thread titled "his problem."  Its laughable...laughable I say!

Falcons 2001 preVick 6-9

Michael Vick may never throw 300 yards or throw 3 TDs or fit the mold of what you all consider to be a QB but Vick's only "problem" is that he wins despite all this and still has idiot detractors that think he should be benched.  Only here can people adamantly call for the benching of a player that has a clear positive impact on his team.  He is a different type of QB with a different skill set than is traditional, but he uses these skills within the falcons system to win and that is what ultimately matters.  I think you are all retarded and not cute retarded either.

Thank you for posting that irrelevant pile of nonense to confirm that Vick supporters really have no basis for their support of him. Very entertaining. Sheer drivel, but entertaining nonetheless. :blink:

Thank you for refuting my point with no susbstance or relevant argument as is your typical style. I mean the team record with and without him clearly has no bearing on this argument. Perhaps the insults will make you look like you know what you are talking about instead of looking at facts and the bottom line. Scooter, as 9/10 members know....you are the Mike Tice of this board.

fascinating.

So in addition to my saying that the Atl D/ST and Dunn were responsible for the win, and the intimation that vick's 3 Ints and >150 PaYd didn't help in the slightest, exactly what part of my point do you need help understanding? :banana:

Meanwhile, your argument spent 300 words to say, "Vick wins games!" :banana: Wow- that's deep. :banana:

Favre takes the snap

He looks

Don't even try to put him in Favre's class not only is Vick not in Favre's class he's not even in the school he is still playing in the school yard. :banana:

whats green bays record?

RECORDS, RECORDS, RECORDS Gee I didn't know that the only team that didn't have an S after their name was the Atlanta Falcon here all these years stupid me was calling them the Falcons. I guess all the players are just out there like you probably were to make the sides even. Keep on cheering for your Falcon even though he is ranked 29th in QB rating but he better watch out if Orton gets a good game he could leap over him. :banana: :blink: :banana:

MIKE VICK is a terrible QB, but he sure as hell wins games!

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

Ok, I'll bite - so what is he without that top 5 Defense and those talented running backs? :banana:

Meanwhile, your argument spent 300 words to say, "Vick wins games!"  :banana:  Wow- that's deep.  :wall:

I know this is difficult for you to grasp... but winning is the bottom line. Vick does it in a non traditional way but that only matters to FF gurus and people like yourself with limited brain capacity. Please explain the difference in the Falcons defense between 2002 and 2003. Thanks

Meanwhile, your argument spent 300 words to say, "Vick wins games!"  :banana:  Wow- that's deep.  :wall:

I know this is difficult for you to grasp... but winning is the bottom line. Vick does it in a non traditional way but that only matters to FF gurus and people like yourself with limited brain capacity.

Please explain exactly how Vick personally won this game then. I'm all ears - I expect a detailed account of how it was Vick and not the Falcons with a stellar TEAM EFFORT.

That's the problem I and others have with this argument. Bunch of guys on the field on offense, bunch of guys on the field on defense...offensive guys rush for 155 yds and such, defense makes great plays, scores an early TD, takes the ball away 3 or 4 times, and yet Vick "won" that game? :cry:

sorry - just wanting you to clear up that point - it's a little foggy.

CONSTANTLY RUN FOR HIS LIFE AND LOSE EVERY GAME 37-3 BECAUSE HE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PASS EFFECTIVELY.  THATS WHAT HE DOES!!!!!! PERIOD

Fixed!

:banana:

YEAH SCOOTER YOUR'RE RIGHT, THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDIN. HE LOSES MOST OF THE GAMES HE STARTS.

do some homework DONKEY

CONSTANTLY RUN FOR HIS LIFE AND LOSE EVERY GAME 37-3 BECAUSE HE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PASS EFFECTIVELY.  THATS WHAT HE DOES!!!!!! PERIOD

Fixed!

:thumbsdown:

YEAH SCOOTER YOUR'RE RIGHT, THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDIN. HE LOSES MOST OF THE GAMES HE STARTS.

do some homework DONKEY

Ah - so Vick playing on the Green Bay Packers, he's won most of the games he's been in? That's what you're saying?

Oh, no? So how could I be wrong about something you're speculating wildly about?

And name calling - that's always helpful in proving your points.

Please - same challenge I gave to OMN: Please explain exactly how Vick personally won this game then. I'm all ears - I expect a detailed account of how it was Vick and not the Falcons with a stellar TEAM EFFORT.

That's the problem I and others have with this argument. Bunch of guys on the field on offense, bunch of guys on the field on defense...offensive guys rush for 155 yds and such, defense makes great plays, scores an early TD, takes the ball away 3 or 4 times, and yet Vick "won" that game?

There is no doubt its a team sport. Vick is not superman and I agree with people who say he is overhyped. Where I disagree is when people give him no credit for the success he has had on the field. He is not a good passer, hell he is not even a mediocre passer at that level, but he is a great QB because of the other skills he brings to the position. Winning is a team effort but IMO the player that touches the ball the most has the largest impact on the team. Still he relies on Dunn and Duckett and Crumpler and a great defense. Without all of these the falcons would not have all the success they are having but what I posted earlier was a good statistic to see Vicks impact on the team and ugly or pretty Vick has a large positive impact on the team. There was almost no difference in the 2002 and 2003 teams beyond Vick. Again, Vick is not the greatest and he might suck on another team with a different philosopohy but on the Falcons he's a winner.

I really didnt want to get it too deep for you. WE DONT KNOW WHERE HE WOULD BE WITHOUT A TOP 5 DEFENSE AND A RUNNING GAME. But I can tell you where the FALCONS would be without him, 2-5 or 1-6.

You all are so hyped on him being a traditional QB, drop 7 steps, duck and chuck, hit the guy in the hands in full stride! That isnt VICK! I am sorry to say that. Maybe you all missed that memo. When Schaub started didnt he have a TOP 5 D and a running game? He must have lost, because...because...WHY THE FOCK DID HE LOSE??? WHY DID HE LOSE THE LAST 3 GAMES of last year, with the same ingredients that VICK HAD??? RIDDLE ME THAT BATMAN??? WHY CANT SCHAUB WIN with the same team? HE A BETTER PASSER, HE A BETTER LEARNER, HELL HE IS A BETTER READER OF THE DEFENSES! Why cant he win with the SAME TEAM that VICK cant lose with???

Believe it or not there are people that walk this planet, that FOR WHATEVER REASON, they are winners. Who knows why! Here is a short list and since you are seem to be reasonably intelligent, you can add to this list if you want. Derek Jeter, Shaquille ONeal, Tom Brady, Curtis Martin, Warrick Dunn, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd! These are all examples of people who are not the best in the league, but wherever they go, they seem to win. I DONT KNOW WHY! But it is what it is.

The fact of the matter is that Vick is a leader that somehow helps these guys win. If they had a better offense scheme, he would be better, but for right now, he is 5-1 as a starter and that is all that matters. He will never be the QB that you want him to be, but I will tell you this when he is on the field, the Falcons are a better team and THEIR RECORD SHOWS IT!

Favre takes the snap

He looks

Don't even try to put him in Favre's class not only is Vick not in Favre's class he's not even in the school he is still playing in the school yard. :cry:

whats green bays record?

RECORDS, RECORDS, RECORDS Gee I didn't know that the only team that didn't have an S after their name was the Atlanta Falcon here all these years stupid me was calling them the Falcons. I guess all the players are just out there like you probably were to make the sides even. Keep on cheering for your Falcon even though he is ranked 29th in QB rating but he better watch out if Orton gets a good game he could leap over him. :wall: :cry: :cry:

first off none of the teams in the NFC (barring the BUCS and SEAHAWKS) have as many wins as the falcons, and I mean thats why these guys in the nfl play right to win. :cry:

Wait I am wrong they play to throw for 315 in yards and 2 TD's then lose (again, to another one of the leauges worst teams)

GET WITH THE PROGRAM BOYS. Farve was good in his day!! Sure, he won a super bowl. But Farve regardless of his recievers and running back situation (see week 1 vs. DET. when he had all his hired guns) is not a winner anymore. His day has come and gone.

WELCOME TO THE NEW ERA: The Vick Era

don't get me wrong I am not a Vick fan or a Falcons fan, diehard Seahawks fan, but I know a good FOOTBALL PLAYER when I see it. And Vick is good.

He may not break touchdown passing records or any other passing records. But you know what he probably will do is shatter any QB rushing stats. Lets see Favre do that.

Fixed!

:pointstosky:

do some homework DONKEY

Ah - so Vick playing on the Green Bay Packers, he's won most of the games he's been in? That's what you're saying?

Oh, no? So how could I be wrong about something you're speculating wildly about?

And name calling - that's always helpful in proving your points.

Please - same challenge I gave to OMN: Please explain exactly how Vick personally won this game then. I'm all ears - I expect a detailed account of how it was Vick and not the Falcons with a stellar TEAM EFFORT.

That's the problem I and others have with this argument. Bunch of guys on the field on offense, bunch of guys on the field on defense...offensive guys rush for 155 yds and such, defense makes great plays, scores an early TD, takes the ball away 3 or 4 times, and yet Vick "won" that game?

HE HAS WON MOST OF HIS GAMES AS A STARTER and I never implied that he played in Green Bay---that was your speculation.

And I don't think he won that game yeterday either, even though he had two TDs'.

I am just sick of Vick getting no respect because he doesn't fit the mold.

Thats all

P.S. Vick is around 28-13 as a starter-----no speculation----

Football scooter. HERE IS THE STATISTICAL PROOF THE VICK HELPED THEM WIN THIS GAME! ARE YOU READY, ARE YOU SITTING DOWN READY FOR YOUR RETORTION.

1ST QUARTER

1-15-NYJ25 (9:16) Warrick Dunn rushed for 4 yards.

2-11-NYJ21 (9:37) Michael Vick passed to Warrick Dunn for 9 yards.

3-2-NYJ12 (7:50) Michael Vick rushed for 2 yards.

1-10-NYJ10 (7:06) Michael Vick rushed for 3 yards.

2-0-NYJ7 (6:24) Warrick Dunn rushed for 6 yards.

3-0-NYJ1 (5:41) Touchdown. Michael Vick rushed for 1 yard.

On the TD run, you can see clearly that Abraham come CLEAN, and ROBERTSON had outside contain! He gets away from Abraham, begins running towards the end zone, everyone knows he is going to run and he pump fakes 2 JETS collide and HE WALKS IN UNTOUCHED!

7-0 FALCONS

3rd QUARTER

From the 1 yard line with no DUCKETT!

1-0-NYJ1 (8:09) Warrick Dunn rushed for no gain.

2-0-NYJ1 (7:27) Michael Vick passed incomplete to Justin Griffith.

3-0-NYJ1 (7:27) Warrick Dunn rushed for no gain.

4-0-NYJ1 (6:40) Touchdown. Michael Vick rushed for 1 yard.

Obviously Dunn couldnt get in. What did you think was going to happen on 4th down? We all knew what was going to happen and you could stop it!

VICK 2 TDS - Jets NONE

STOP TRYING TO MEASURE THIS GUY BY PASSING YARDS! He is a different breed of QB and you may not like him, BUT HE WINS and HE CONTRIBUTES!

Football scooter. HERE IS THE STATISTICAL PROOF THE VICK HELPED THEM WIN THIS GAME! ARE YOU READY, ARE YOU SITTING DOWN READY FOR YOUR RETORTION.

1ST QUARTER

1-15-NYJ25 (9:16) Warrick Dunn rushed for 4 yards.

2-11-NYJ21 (9:37) Michael Vick passed to Warrick Dunn for 9 yards.

3-2-NYJ12 (7:50) Michael Vick rushed for 2 yards.

1-10-NYJ10 (7:06) Michael Vick rushed for 3 yards.

2-0-NYJ7 (6:24) Warrick Dunn rushed for 6 yards.

3-0-NYJ1 (5:41) Touchdown. Michael Vick rushed for 1 yard.

On the TD run, you can see clearly that Abraham come CLEAN, and ROBERTSON had outside contain! He gets away from Abraham, begins running towards the end zone, everyone knows he is going to run and he pump fakes 2 JETS collide and HE WALKS IN UNTOUCHED!

7-0 FALCONS

3rd QUARTER

From the 1 yard line with no DUCKETT!

1-0-NYJ1 (8:09) Warrick Dunn rushed for no gain.

2-0-NYJ1 (7:27) Michael Vick passed incomplete to Justin Griffith.

3-0-NYJ1 (7:27) Warrick Dunn rushed for no gain.

4-0-NYJ1 (6:40) Touchdown. Michael Vick rushed for 1 yard.

Obviously Dunn couldnt get in. What did you think was going to happen on 4th down? We all knew what was going to happen and you could stop it!

VICK 2 TDS - Jets NONE

STOP TRYING TO MEASURE THIS GUY BY PASSING YARDS! He is a different breed of QB and you may not like him, BUT HE WINS and HE CONTRIBUTES!

:pointstosky:

Vick is a terrible QB in the sense that a QB is supposed to pass the ball, make completions, have a high td:int ratio, factors that will give you a high efficiency rating. All he has is a cannon arm with no accuracy and no field vision. He can also run.

The questions being raised here is, then how the heck does atlanta win with him, but lose without him?

You can make the defense and RB argument, but they had the same rb's when vick was out in 2003, and atlanta had a terrible year. I'm not sure what changes were made to the defense from 2003 to 2004, but let's assume if there was an improvement, it wasn't to the tune of a +6 win differential (+9 if you count atl's record with vick in 2003, as the poster previously pointed out).

So, what's the explanation? I have no idea, but here's a thought... Maybe with Vick, defenses assume the run first, then the pass (unless it's a 3rd and 20 situation or the like). Heck, I think even Vick himself thinks run first. Under that assumption, as linebackers and DB's, you have to anticipate the Vick run, even as he drops back to pass, and not only cover your assignments, but also make sure he doesn't break a 30-yd run. A simple QB spy on defense doesn't work on him. This is the perfect formula for a breakdown in a defensive set, and as Vick breaks the pocket, usually, the defense is in "chase after vick" mode. Playing this way throughout the game will tire out a defense faster than most, as you have almost every defensive player "on call" to make sure Vick doesn't break a big one on every play.

It's not that Vick's such a great player that enables him to be a winner, but more because of the potential for there to be a big play on every snap has the defenses out of their usual sets and schemes.

Also, he usually doesn't throw 3 int's a game, so I think typically, he doesn't lose a game for you with his minimal QB skills.

You know, I've already said it once today...but I fear you guys just don't understand.

Mike Vick's problem isn't that he's not a traditional passer. It's his raging case of Herpes that troubles him.

Vick is a terrible QB in the sense that a QB is supposed to pass the ball, make completions, have a high td:int ratio, factors that will give you a high efficiency rating. All he has is a cannon arm with no accuracy and no field vision. He can also run.

The questions being raised here is, then how the heck does atlanta win with him, but lose without him?

You can make the defense and RB argument, but they had the same rb's when vick was out in 2003, and atlanta had a terrible year. I'm not sure what changes were made to the defense from 2003 to 2004, but let's assume if there was an improvement, it wasn't to the tune of a +6 win differential (+9 if you count atl's record with vick in 2003, as the poster previously pointed out).

So, what's the explanation? I have no idea, but here's a thought... Maybe with Vick, defenses assume the run first, then the pass (unless it's a 3rd and 20 situation or the like). Heck, I think even Vick himself thinks run first. Under that assumption, as linebackers and DB's, you have to anticipate the Vick run, even as he drops back to pass, and not only cover your assignments, but also make sure he doesn't break a 30-yd run. A simple QB spy on defense doesn't work on him. This is the perfect formula for a breakdown in a defensive set, and as Vick breaks the pocket, usually, the defense is in "chase after vick" mode. Playing this way throughout the game will tire out a defense faster than most, as you have almost every defensive player "on call" to make sure Vick doesn't break a big one on every play.

It's not that Vick's such a great player that enables him to be a winner, but more because of the potential for there to be a big play on every snap has the defenses out of their usual sets and schemes.

Also, he usually doesn't throw 3 int's a game, so I think typically, he doesn't lose a game for you with his minimal QB skills.

great post...

just 2 questions!!!

1. Where does it say that a QB is supposed to throw the ball IMO the Qb is supposed to control the offense and game if you will.

2. "It's not that Vick's such a great player that enables him to be a winner, but more because of the potential for there to be a big play on every snap"

WHY IS THAT? IMO becuase hes a great player.

The more I post on this link the more I am begining to think that I may be a Vick fan! :ph34r:

third_and_one, I am OK with that. The fact is FOR WHATEVER REASON, he wins. There are many plays that a traditional QB will make that he probably wont make, but there are many plays that he can make that a traditional Qb cant make, like the 1st TD run last night or the TD run VS Minnesota in the OT game last year or whenever that was or the way he was THE FIRST TO WIN A PLAYOFF GAME IN LAMBEAU plays. He had many that day! But everyone needs to get off his back because all he does is wins, whether it be a Va Tech or ATLANTA!

At the end of the day all that matters is wins and losses.

Stop crapping yourselves because Vick isn't putting up LT2 fantasy numbers.

The fact remains that the Falcons WIN with Vick. End of story.

Guest MUGS
1. Where does it say that a QB is supposed to throw the ball

He can do that, but into his Wr's hands is another story

Realistically, If your down by a Td and at your own 20yd line with 2 minutes left,

He better be freaking throwing the ball, the game dictates that

At the end of the day all that matters is wins and losses.

Stop crapping yourselves because Vick isn't putting up LT2 fantasy numbers.

The fact remains that the Falcons WIN with Vick. End of story.

Nope....their defense and running game carry them.

If you knew football, this would be painfully obvious.

Just a thought.

Would the Falcons be better with LT2? That is what they traded to get Vick!

They would be better because they could have gotten Drew Brees to go along with him.

Brees > Vick

1. Where does it say that a QB is supposed to throw the ball

He can do that, but into his Wr's hands is another story

Realistically, If your down by a Td and at your own 20yd line with 2 minutes left,

He better be freaking throwing the ball, the game dictates that

On any other team you would be right, being on you own 20. But not ATL, Vick could bust an 80 yard run or 2 40's or 4 20's.