Sign in to follow this  
PittFootball

Ten Fearless Predictions

http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/de.../ABN3986268.htm

Line of Scrimmage: Week 8 - Ten Fearless Predictions

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Perhaps I'm feeling a bit overconfident after picking a few games right over the past few weeks, but I guess I better strike while the iron is at least lukewarm. Below are 10 things you can expect to see in the NFL over the coming weeks and months:

1. Matt Leinart will wear a Cleveland Browns uniform next year. The USC quarterback is likely to be the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, and at the very least, will be the first quarterback taken. Many of the current candidates to have the top pick in the draft, including the Texans, 49ers, and Packers, are already set at quarterback, and the Browns figure to finish behind other candidates like the Dolphins and Raiders in the won-loss column. At some point this season, Cleveland will have to figure out whether rookie and third-round draft choice Charlie Frye is the future of the franchise (we'll save them the trouble - he's not), and once that question is answered, they'll target Leinart as their next signal-caller.

2. The Seattle Seahawks will be the No. 1 seed in the NFC. Think about it. The Hawks (5-2) still play the 49ers twice, the Cardinals once, and the Rams at home within their division. They've also got eminently winnable games with Green Bay and Tennessee on the road, and the Giants at home, down the stretch. Meanwhile, the NFC East and South are three-team races in which all of the participants figure to beat each other up, while the North is an abomination where an 8-8 record could win the division. I'm not saying they're the best team in the conference, or even that they'll win their first postseason game since 1984, but the Seahawks are set up for success better than anyone else in the conference.

3. Brett Favre will come back for at least one more year. It's been a miserable season for the Packers and there's little chance of the franchise turning things around due to mounting injuries. It would be easy for Favre to walk away from this mess as soon as it careens to a merciful end, but you have to believe the competitor in him will resist walking away on these terms. Even amid the team's woes, Favre has proven that he can still play, throwing a league-high 14 touchdown passes thus far in '05. Expect Green Bay to do some work to upgrade its offensive line and defense in the offseason, and for Favre to come back to give it one more go.

4. The San Diego Chargers will not make the playoffs. It's been heartbreak city for the Bolts (3-4), who have lost four games by a combined 12 points. Now the margin for error is slim for Marty Schottenheimer's men, who probably have to go 7-2 the rest of the way to make it back to the postseason. Figure a split of their home-and-home with Kansas City, and a loss in Indianapolis on Dec. 18th. In addition to those, they've still got the Jets and Redskins to play on the road, and division rivals Oakland and Denver at home. Can they win all four of those, and avoid trap games against the well-coached Bills and Dolphins? I'm saying no.

5. Mike Tice will not last the season in Minnesota. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has said he won't fire Tice until after the season is complete, but that doesn't mean Tice won't walk away if the Vikings fall out of contention in the NFC North. To fall out of contention in the NFC North is to be a total train wreck, and the Vikes seem much closer to that scenario than to pulling out of their 2-4 funk. With the writing on the wall, Tice will step aside, just as Dennis Green did for him at the end of the 2001 season. Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who should have been a head coach a long time ago, will be the top candidate to take the interim reins before Wilf cleans house in the offseason.

6. The Redskins will finish last in the NFC East. The team that ends up at the bottom of this division might actually have a better record than the winner of the NFC North, but someone has to finish last. The Eagles are still far too talented to miss the playoffs, and the Cowboys will probably compete for the division title until late in the season based on their defense. That leaves the Giants and Skins, and I have a feeling I can count on Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress to be more consistent than Mark Brunell and Santana Moss. I'm also not impressed with the Redskins defense, which doesn't force many turnovers or put much pressure on the passer.

7. Chris Simms will make Brian Griese expendable. With Griese out for the year, Simms has the Buccaneers' starting job to himself for the rest of 2005. Simms has actually looked pretty good when we've seen him in the preseason and briefly in 2004, and he has the physical makeup, smarts, and pedigree to be a winner in the NFL. It helps that he won't be asked to carry the whole load, just to make some nice throws here and there to Joey Galloway and Michael Clayton. Look for Simms to get that done, for the Bucs to make the playoffs, and for Griese to be trade bait in the offseason.

8. The Cincinnati Bengals will win the AFC North. Yes, the Steelers handled them in the Queen City last week, but I still believe Marvin Lewis and company are the real deal. The offense has been one of the top five in the league, and the defense has been playing with abandon and purpose. Plus, they've still got the Packers, Browns, Lions, Bills, and the Ravens (twice) on the docket, and don't rule out a win against the Colts at Paul Brown Stadium on Nov. 20th. Pittsburgh's schedule is light too, but I believe the Steelers are too vulnerable in the secondary and uncertain in the backfield to be as consistent as Cincinnati down the stretch.

9. Atlanta's Rod Coleman will be the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year I'm starting my campaign for this guy right now. He leads the NFC in sacks (7) and forced fumbles (3), and currently has a greater impact on the game than any other defensive tackle in the league. If Coleman finishes somewhere in the 15-sack range and Atlanta finishes atop the NFC South again, I'm taking Coleman, a guy who hasn't even been to a Pro Bowl in seven years in the league, to take home the hardware.

10. The Chicago Bears will win the NFC North. Someone has to win the National League West of the NFL, and I'm saying it will be the Padres, I mean the Bears. What Chicago has over Detroit, Green Bay, and Minnesota is a defense that comes to play every week, one that includes a fully-healthy Brian Urlacher. Offensively, Thomas Jones has been great and Kyle Orton continues to keep opponents honest with his arm. The NFL is just somehow better when the Bears are in contention, and it looks to me like Soldier Field will be hosting at least one playoff game come January.

This was a very good read. Thanks for some original thoughts. I think your points were well made and backed up with good reasoning.

Some things I disagree with

Leinart will not be a Brown most likely. Cleveland will win more games the rest of the year then some might think. I think you are right, however, that the team that does land the 1st overall pick will not be a team in need of a QB (SF, Hou). The team that drafts Leinart will likely get him via trade.

I do think this is Favre's last stand. It is possible that he'll leave the team wondering in the off season just like this year waiting to see what kind of moves the Pack makes. But I think he'll be disappointed at what they do and walk away.

I think Tice will stick it out as I think the Vikes will come around a bit and be in contention in the awful NFC North. But I do beleive he will walk away after the season when they come up short. No way he is their coach next year.

9. Atlanta's Rod Coleman will be the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year I'm starting my campaign for this guy right now. He leads the NFC in sacks (7) and forced fumbles (3), and currently has a greater impact on the game than any other defensive tackle in the league. If Coleman finishes somewhere in the 15-sack range and Atlanta finishes atop the NFC South again, I'm taking Coleman, a guy who hasn't even been to a Pro Bowl in seven years in the league, to take home the hardware.

thats the only one i got a problem with. rods got a great motor. and hes an ex-raider!!! i remember him as a raider when he was first tearin sh!t up and no one knew about him. big al picked him up in like the 5th round or somthin. and they say al doesn't know football anymore. :D then atlanta offered him a ton of money and good for rod, he cashed in. but the problem is, hes a liability against the run. if he can't use his speed and quickness and moves to get in the backfield, he gets pushed 5 yds back. he cannot take on a gurd or center and hold at the point. look at atlantas ranking in run dfens. raiders were the worst run dfens in the league with him starting at DT. for less cap $$$, they(the raiders) replaced him with ted washington and warren sapp. thats a pretty good 2 for 1 deal imho. they are old and rod is young but they are also cheaper and stop the run and raiders dfens is much better for it.

hot rods a stud and he was a blast to watch. but hes a situational DT. a liability vs. the run. no way he gets dfensive player of the year!

8. The Cincinnati Bengals will win the AFC North. Yes, the Steelers handled them in the Queen City last week, but I still believe Marvin Lewis and company are the real deal. The offense has been one of the top five in the league, and the defense has been playing with abandon and purpose. Plus, they've still got the Packers, Browns, Lions, Bills, and the Ravens (twice) on the docket, and don't rule out a win against the Colts at Paul Brown Stadium on Nov. 20th. Pittsburgh's schedule is light too, but I believe the Steelers are too vulnerable in the secondary and uncertain in the backfield to be as consistent as Cincinnati down the stretch.

Wrong! The Steelers will win 12 or even 13 games. Their schedule is a JOKE. And the Steeler secondary is actually very good. Did this guy watch the job Ike Taylor did on Chad Johnson? Besides a meaningless 47 yard catch in garbage time Johnsn was held in check all day. Hell even CJ gave Ike props for his play. The Bengals are good, but not ready for the bigtime just yet. Steel win the divison by 2 games. :blink:

This was a very good read. Thanks for some original thoughts. I think your points were well made and backed up with good reasoning.

Not my thoughts! I just stumbled upon it and thought y'all might enjoy it. :o

I disagree with the comment that the Bills are "well coached." Stopped reading after that as he is clearly out to lunch.

The Bills are well coached!

Compared to the Vikings, the Saints, the Ravens, and the Texans.

after the Steelers beat cincy again, they just need to tie them.

Steelers last four games

Chicago

Minny

Cleve

Detroit

can you say Willy Parker time!

6. The Redskins will finish last in the NFC East. The team that ends up at the bottom of this division might actually have a better record than the winner of the NFC North, but someone has to finish last. The Eagles are still far too talented to miss the playoffs, and the Cowboys will probably compete for the division title until late in the season based on their defense. That leaves the Giants and Skins, and I have a feeling I can count on Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress to be more consistent than Mark Brunell and Santana Moss. I'm also not impressed with the Redskins defense, which doesn't force many turnovers or put much pressure on the passer.

:blink:

:lol:

So you think the Giants and their classless, scumbag fans will finish last?

:rolleyes:

speaking of class and kettles... :lol:

2. The Seattle Seahawks will be the No. 1 seed in the NFC. Think about it. The Hawks (5-2) still play the 49ers twice, the Cardinals once, and the Rams at home within their division. They've also got eminently winnable games with Green Bay and Tennessee on the road, and the Giants at home, down the stretch. Meanwhile, the NFC East and South are three-team races in which all of the participants figure to beat each other up, while the North is an abomination where an 8-8 record could win the division. I'm not saying they're the best team in the conference, or even that they'll win their first postseason game since 1984, but the Seahawks are set up for success better than anyone else in the conference.

agreed, eventhough all 4 teams in the NFC east are probably better, the seahawks will probably be the #1 seed.

1. Matt Leinart will wear a Cleveland Browns uniform next year. The USC quarterback is likely to be the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, and at the very least, will be the first quarterback taken. Many of the current candidates to have the top pick in the draft, including the Texans, 49ers, and Packers, are already set at quarterback, and the Browns figure to finish behind other candidates like the Dolphins and Raiders in the won-loss column. At some point this season, Cleveland will have to figure out whether rookie and third-round draft choice Charlie Frye is the future of the franchise (we'll save them the trouble - he's not), and once that question is answered, they'll target Leinart as their next signal-caller.

3. Brett Favre will come back for at least one more year. It's been a miserable season for the Packers and there's little chance of the franchise turning things around due to mounting injuries. It would be easy for Favre to walk away from this mess as soon as it careens to a merciful end, but you have to believe the competitor in him will resist walking away on these terms. Even amid the team's woes, Favre has proven that he can still play, throwing a league-high 14 touchdown passes thus far in '05. Expect Green Bay to do some work to upgrade its offensive line and defense in the offseason, and for Favre to come back to give it one more go.

4. The San Diego Chargers will not make the playoffs. It's been heartbreak city for the Bolts (3-4), who have lost four games by a combined 12 points. Now the margin for error is slim for Marty Schottenheimer's men, who probably have to go 7-2 the rest of the way to make it back to the postseason. Figure a split of their home-and-home with Kansas City, and a loss in Indianapolis on Dec. 18th. In addition to those, they've still got the Jets and Redskins to play on the road, and division rivals Oakland and Denver at home. Can they win all four of those, and avoid trap games against the well-coached Bills and Dolphins? I'm saying no.

5. Mike Tice will not last the season in Minnesota. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has said he won't fire Tice until after the season is complete, but that doesn't mean Tice won't walk away if the Vikings fall out of contention in the NFC North. To fall out of contention in the NFC North is to be a total train wreck, and the Vikes seem much closer to that scenario than to pulling out of their 2-4 funk. With the writing on the wall, Tice will step aside, just as Dennis Green did for him at the end of the 2001 season. Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, who should have been a head coach a long time ago, will be the top candidate to take the interim reins before Wilf cleans house in the offseason.

7. Chris Simms will make Brian Griese expendable. With Griese out for the year, Simms has the Buccaneers' starting job to himself for the rest of 2005. Simms has actually looked pretty good when we've seen him in the preseason and briefly in 2004, and he has the physical makeup, smarts, and pedigree to be a winner in the NFL. It helps that he won't be asked to carry the whole load, just to make some nice throws here and there to Joey Galloway and Michael Clayton. Look for Simms to get that done, for the Bucs to make the playoffs, and for Griese to be trade bait in the offseason.

10. The Chicago Bears will win the NFC North. Someone has to win the National League West of the NFL, and I'm saying it will be the Padres, I mean the Bears. What Chicago has over Detroit, Green Bay, and Minnesota is a defense that comes to play every week, one that includes a fully-healthy Brian Urlacher. Offensively, Thomas Jones has been great and Kyle Orton continues to keep opponents honest with his arm. The NFL is just somehow better when the Bears are in contention, and it looks to me like Soldier Field will be hosting at least one playoff game come January.

1) Houston set at QB? Maybe you haven't been watching. Carr has had ample time to grow and has done nothing, actually less than nothing. I think Houston shoud start to think about finding someone new.

2) Possible, but what about Phily?

3) Favre is not stupid. The team clearly didnt set themselves up to win anything this year , alowing their O line to fall apart. I think he sees the writing on the wall. He will either retire or play one more year for someone contending who has a desperate need for a starting vet QB.

4) Sad to say I think you are right. SD will miss the playoffs. THE AFC is just too tough.

5) I agree. Tice will not last the season.

6) Good call, although I think it will be the Giants that choke. Redskins D is better than Giants. at least at this point in the season.

7) Griese is solid. If they saw what hey liked in Simms, he would have been named the starter at the beginning of the season, or last year when they really needed a spark.

8) Could go either way. Cincy and Pittsburgh are both tough.

9) I have no opinion on this.

10) GO BEARS!!!

:D

speaking of class and kettles... :argue:

Who booed the Katrina survivors :wall:

3) Favre is not stupid. The team clearly didnt set themselves up to win anything this year , alowing their O line to fall apart. I think he sees the writing on the wall. He will either retire or play one more year for someone contending who has a desperate need for a starting vet QB.

i can safely assure you that favre will never suit up for any team other than the packers

i can safely assure you that favre will never suit up for any team other than the packers

Good thing he never played for another team, like the Falcons or anybody.

:o

Glanville trade...nice work Jerry!

==================

swamp poopie must have jumped off the ledge ..... hahahahahah..... :o :lol: ;)

3)  Favre is not stupid.  The team clearly didnt set themselves up to win anything this year , alowing their O line to fall apart.  I think he sees the writing on the wall.  He will either retire or play one more year for someone contending who has a desperate need for a starting vet QB.

:pointstosky:

Glanville trade...nice work Jerry!

Ah Jerry, where have ye gone?

:pointstosky:

speaking of class and kettles... :rolleyes:

Who booed the Katrina survivors :rolleyes:

i've no idea, and i was at the game. were you?

;)

Maybe you should read your local news. Classless, scumbag Giants fans :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Giants fans' sick Kat-calls

BY TRACY CONNOR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Shame on you, Giants fans.

Some boorish Big Blue die-hards pelted New Orleans Saints fans with tasteless taunts about deadly Hurricane Katrina during Monday night's game at Giants Stadium, several fans said.

"Where's your swimmies? I hope you have your swimmies!" one ignoramus asked Diane Dias, 46, who splits her time between homes in New Orleans and New Milford, Conn.

"You deserve what you got," another said. "New Orleans people are stupid."link

after the Steelers beat cincy again, they just need to tie them.

Steelers last four games

Chicago

Minny

Cleve

Detroit

can you say Willy Parker time!

3 pretty darn good D's in that group. Maybe you should reconsider....

I like it. Great picks. Who really knows what is going to happen.

1. No way the Browns draft Lienart. They have Charlie Frye. Who knows better than Romeo that you don't need the flashiest QB in the draft to win? Tom Brady....

2. Seattle WILL be the #1 seed, your reasons are right on the money.

3. I can't see Favre coming back, the packers probably wont want him back because it is time to rebuild, Aaron Rodgers will be the starter week 1.

4. The Chargers will be the best 8-8 team ever.

5. Tice sucks. he shouldn't have lasted the ownership change, much less this long.

6. I am a Cowboy homer and a Redskins hater. My opinion on this game would be pointless and biased.

7. FIXORED.... Tim Rattay will make Griese expendable. Simms is not the answer, he will tease you with promise and then crush your dreams. Ask any Texas fan. I am high on Rattay and I don't think anyone could succeed with that horrible team in San Fran.

8. I think the Steelers schedule will allow them to win that division. The Bengals will get a wild card and will make some noise in the playoffs.

9. I like Freeney to win this award.

10. I hope your right. I would love to see the Bears win that division. Anyone other than the overhyped Lions. Has any team received more hype for no reason? How about any one player? Kevin Jones? Over hyped...way over hyped.

:thumbsup:

Quote: 10. I hope your right. I would love to see the Bears win that division. Anyone other than the overhyped Lions. Has any team received more hype for no reason? How about any one player? Kevin Jones? Over hyped...way over hyped.

Hmm...I'm trying to figure out how a team thats leading its division 6 games into the season despite playing the leagues top 3 defenses is overhyped. Kevin Jones is only being perceived as overhyped because of many people claiming he was a first round quality rb. Most of the lion's fans have maintained that a 9-7 record would be considered an indicator of a successful season. Most of us also knew better than to take a rb in the first round on a team with such a large question mark at qb. Looks like a 9-7 record is even more possible than I orginally thought at the start of the season---which should be good enough to win the division.

On Favre. With injuries to Walker, Ferguson, T. Murphy, Ahman Green, Davenport, Franks and his starting Center, Flanagan.....

I could easily see Favre playing at leas one more in Green Bay. He's proving he can still play at a high level, and you have to write this one off considering how many injuries they have. It's true they weren't playing all that great before hand, but still. You lose three of your top four receivers. You top two running backs. Your top tight end. Your center. Offensively, this isn't the same team they started the season with. Not evern close.

Defensively, Jim Bates has them competing. They've made some strides over last season's version, but they still have a ways to go. If they can upgrade CB and DE, they will be even better next year.

In conlusion, this team isn't that far away.

http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/de.../ABN3986268.htm

Line of Scrimmage: Week 8 - Ten Fearless Predictions

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Perhaps I'm feeling a bit overconfident after picking a few games right over the past few weeks, but I guess I better strike while the iron is at least lukewarm. Below are 10 things you can expect to see in the NFL over the coming weeks and months:

Predictions on the Fearless Predictions

1. Disagree - Leinart goes to the Jets

2. Disagree - Atlanta will take the NFC North

3. Agree - Favre will have a monstrous year with virtually no offense and convice himself that with the offensive pieces back next year, GB will have a chance at the trophy

4. Agree - Denver will win the division, Cincinnati and Oakland will take the wildcards

5. Disagree - The vikings will go on a mini-win streak and all but secure Tice's job to the end of the regular season.

6. Disagree - Dallas will finish last. With a weakened running game, Drew's #'s will get worse and worse.

7. Agree - Simms actually won the starting job in 2004 against Greise, but got injured early in the season, thus starting the Greise era. Simms will get his revenge.

8. Disagree - Pittsburgh, with their running game and efficient mistake-free passsing game will take the afc north. Cincy will take the wildcard.

9. Disagree - Robert Mathis of Indy takes the award, with Brian Urlacher a close second.

10. Agree - they take it by default

:mad:

I was waiting for that. Did you read my comments on that one? :P

6. Disagree - Dallas will finish last. With a weakened running game, Drew's #'s will get worse and worse.

Weakened running game? You shouldn't comment on teams that you don't actually watch. Marion Barber had 95 yards last week in the rain with two crappy tackles in his first ever start. I am not totally convinced that Dallas wont finish in last place but it wont be because of the running backs.

I do think this is Favre's last stand. It is possible that he'll leave the team wondering in the off season just like this year waiting to see what kind of moves the Pack makes. But I think he'll be disappointed at what they do and walk away.

The Packers won't do anything in the offseason, and Favre will walk away. It's sad to have to see him on this pathetic team. The Packers did absolutely nothing to improve this team in the offseason, they didn't even attempt anything.

Their new GM Ted Thompson is Ron Wolfe's "protege" but there isno resemblance. This guy has done nothing.

Weakened running game? You shouldn't comment on teams that you don't actually watch. Marion Barber had 95 yards last week in the rain with two crappy tackles in his first ever start. I am not totally convinced that Dallas wont finish in last place but it wont be because of the running backs.

JJ is hurt. If Barber can continue to rush for 95 yds a game, then I'll be wrong in my assessment. It's my opinion that going from a healthy JJ to a not-so-healthy JJ or to a Barber is a downgrade.. that's all..

;)

Maybe you should read your local news. Classless, scumbag Giants fans :cheers: :cry:

Giants fans' sick Kat-calls

BY TRACY CONNOR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Shame on you, Giants fans.

Some boorish Big Blue die-hards pelted New Orleans Saints fans with tasteless taunts about deadly Hurricane Katrina during Monday night's game at Giants Stadium, several fans said.

"Where's your swimmies? I hope you have your swimmies!" one ignoramus asked Diane Dias, 46, who splits her time between homes in New Orleans and New Milford, Conn.

"You deserve what you got," another said. "New Orleans people are stupid."link

oh how the irony is lost. :lol: i'm well aware of what was reported, thank you.

JJ is hurt. If Barber can continue to rush for 95 yds a game, then I'll be wrong in my assessment. It's my opinion that going from a healthy JJ to a not-so-healthy JJ or to a Barber is a downgrade.. that's all..

OK, I'll give you that.

9. i agree with this completely. he leads all interior linemen over the past three years in sacks, forced fumbles and tackles. they guy got robbed last year as a pro bowler.