Sign in to follow this  
Guest Loose Circuits

Vikings article from KFAN (Carolina game)

Guest Loose Circuits

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/lo...22-0B482032BCE9

Reincarnated Vikings travel to Carolina

Last Update: 10/27/2005 10:38:32 PM

Can the Vikings do it again?

That’s the question Vikings players answer with a confident yes and fans are hopeful they are correct. But a 17-point deficit at halftime on the road at Carolina would be much tougher to overcome than the same deficit against a Packers team with players dropping to injury by the minute playing in the Metrodome.

For that reason, a fast start is crucial for the Vikes on Sunday in Charlotte.

“They have a good defense, so we need to try to give our offense short fields,” cornerback Antoine Winfield said. “Come out and get some turnovers, start fast, which we haven’t been doing in the games we’ve played on the road.”

While the Panthers will have their starting quarterback, Jake Delhomme, back from a head injury, Carolina hasn’t exactly been blowing teams away offensively. The team is ranked 23rd in total offense, and averaging just 89.5 yards per game on the ground despite Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster providing one of the best one-two punches in the league at running back.

The Panthers are tied for 15th in the league in passing, which ironically is the same rank as the purple pass defense. The Vikings are allowing 204.5 passing yards per game, while Carolina is averaging 215.8 yards per game.

The touchdown statistics match up perfectly, as the Vikes have given up 18 total touchdowns this year, with 11 coming through the air. Meanwhile, the Panthers have scored 18 touchdowns this season, 11 of which have come in the passing game.

Steve Smith has seven of those scores, and is the primary weapon the Vikings must shut down in the passing game as he has 43 percent of Carolina’s yards through the air. Cornerback Fred Smoot blanketed Donald Driver in the second half of last Sunday’s contest, and could be matched up throughout the game with Smith in a similar fashion.

Smoot’s cover ability opposite Winfield and his leadership in the secondary have been key to the limited success of the defense to this point.

“Fred Smoot is a guy who brings tremendous energy to your football team,” coach Mike Tice said. “He brings tremendous energy during the course of the week on the practice field. He brings tremendous energy during the games. He is a guy that leads with some of that body language.”

Offensively, the Vikings are contending with the 19th ranked defense in the league. Most of the Panthers success comes against the run, as they have allowed just 77.7 yards per game on the ground. But the good news is no matter what Minnesota tries to do on the ground, it is still a passing team.

The Vikings are averaging 84.5 yards per game on the ground, but run the ball just 41 percent of the time.

So much like he did in the second half of the Green Bay game, Daunte Culpepper will have to make plays. In fact, that goes for the rest of the season, as free safety Darren Sharper went as far as calling Culpepper the “Michael Jordan” of the team.

“He is the Michael Jordan of the team,” wide receiver Nate Burleson said. “He’s the leader, one of the most athletic guys on the team. He touches the ball every play, the captain. We follow whatever he does. When he looks into our eyes we know that he has the confidence to go out there and make a play and we’ll do whatever we can to step up to his level.”

Culpepper doesn’t mind the comparison.

“I have no problem thinking like that because I’m the quarterback of this team and I need to make plays,” Culpepper said. It’s as simple as that. But at the same time, we have to realize everybody has a job to do, and it makes it extremely hard if one guy (makes a mistake) and 10 guys do what they’re supposed to do.”

After struggling the first five games of the season, Culpepper threw for two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Packers while orchestrating the squad’s comeback from 17 points down at halftime. The performance earned Culpepper his eighth NFC Offensive Player of the Week award.

But Minnesota is still focused on team achievements, as it will try to stay within a game of first place with a victory on Sunday.

“It has been a rough start for him and the rest of us,” Tice said. “It is one game and I’m sure he would give that back if we told him we could win in Carolina this week. So that is really where the focus is, to get to Carolina and play better on the road. Of course we are happy for him. He is battling. He is tough. He has overcome a little bit of an injury, but he has hung in there and always will hang in there.”

Minnesota is relatively healthy heading into Sunday’s game against the Panthers, as offensive lineman Toniu Fonoti is the only players listed as out on the injury report.

-- Linebacker Dontarrious Thomas is still questionable with an injured right shoulder, but participated in all of practice on Wednesday and said he should be able to suit up on Sunday.

Fellow linebacker Napoleon Harris had fluid drained from his right knee and did not practice on Wednesday, but is probable on the injury report and is expected to play. Also probable is defensive end Spencer Johnson, who missed the last two games because of a knee injury.

-- After starting the season as the bottom feeders in the NFL, the NFC North seems to be getting some competition for the title of ‘League’s Worst Division.’

The AFC East is led by New England at 3-3, the same record that Detroit and Chicago have at the top of the NFC North. As a division, the AFC East is 10-16 overall. The NFC North is 9-15.

He Wish :headbanger: :wub:

Our game plan now forces DB to play him up close, which means he will have his way all day on slants, and pick routes, and drags across the middle and what ever else he wants to do. If he playoffs..l. quick screen passes will kill him. It's a lose lose situation for Smoot. :lol: :headbanger:

Guest Loose Circuits

Yep I was thinking have Smoot cover Colbert and use the smaller shiftier Winfield on Smith at the line with Chavous over the top....

If Tice resigns this afternoon we have a chance. (3 outdoor road wins in Tice era, two of those at GBay) :D

I was pretty pissed that there was no pencil included with the Shrek halloween costume I bought.

Smoot couldn't cover Driver. Is Driver better than Smith? There's your answer.

BTW. Fred Smoot blanketed Driver my ass. It sure is nice to spew stupidy, since Smoot had a safety over the top of Driver the entire second half. It wasn't Smoot who put a stop to Driver's big day. It was Smoot, the safety and Ferguson's injury.

If I remember right, didn't Smoot play man on Driver in the second half and do a very nice job against him? I'm pretty sure that happened.

this isn't intended to be smack, but an honest question: who HAS the viking secondary covered this year?

:clap:

New Orleans. In fact Joe Horn said after that game that the Winfield/Smoot tandem is the best he has ever played against. Or something close to that.

If I remember right, didn't Smoot play man on Driver in the second half and do a very nice job against him? I'm pretty sure that happened.

No it didn't, but feel free to go look a the game tape. Driver was doubled nearly the entire second half. Had a safety over the top all day. Ferguson went out of the game in the first half. Good try though.

Driver Linky

Opposing defensive coordinators certainly care, though, especially after watching the Minnesota tape. Driver whipped Antoine Winfield for a 22-yard score in which he made a one-handed grab and drew a pass interference penalty at the same time. He turned a 10-yard completion into a 40-yard gain when he made four Vikings miss. And he was a one-man wrecking crew in the first half, before the Vikings finally wised up and double-teamed him in the second half.

New Orleans. In fact Joe Horn said after that game that the Winfield/Smoot tandem is the best he has ever played against. Or something close to that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The one team they covered was the saints

I wouldn't use that to argue my point, Thats really says a lot about how good their secondary is :lol: :lol:

No it didn't, but feel free to go look a the game tape. Driver was doubled nearly the entire second half. Had a safety over the top all day. Ferguson went out of the game in the first half. Good try though.

Driver Linky

Opposing defensive coordinators certainly care, though, especially after watching the Minnesota tape. Driver whipped Antoine Winfield for a 22-yard score in which he made a one-handed grab and drew a pass interference penalty at the same time. He turned a 10-yard completion into a 40-yard gain when he made four Vikings miss. And he was a one-man wrecking crew in the first half, before the Vikings finally wised up and double-teamed him in the second half.

It doesn't really matter, they both suck anyway. I guess the Packers just suck a little more since they lost the game.

But I guess if the Viking double team shut down Driver, they might be OK against Carolina because I don't think Jake Delhomme knows he actually has other receivers on the field other than Steve Smith.

Smoot will get taken to the house at least once. No way he covers Smith 1v1.

:o ;)

Covered like a glove!

:clap:  :blink:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :blink: :blink:

Covered like a glove!

:clap:  :blink:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :blink: :blink:

Mel has Smoot in his IDP league.

:ph34r:

Covered like a glove!

:headbanger:  :cheers:  :banana:  :thumbsup:  :clap:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :cry: :pointstosky:

:thumbsup:

Hey I just realized we both have Chad Johnson, And Steve Smith in our fantasy leagues :first:

Covered like a glove!

:pointstosky: :thumbsup:  :banana:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :cheers: :cry:

:headbanger:

Hey I just realized we both have Chad Johnson, And Steve Smith in our fantasy leagues :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, the ultimate combo.

:first:

Guest Loose Circuits
Covered like a glove!

:lol: :lol:  :clap:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's <_< :lol:

:lol:

Hey I just realized we both have Chad Johnson, And Steve Smith in our fantasy leagues :lol:

Oh yeah, the ultimate combo.

:(

:wub:

Covered like a glove!

:banana:  :D  :banana:  :banana:  :clap:  :lol:  :mad:  :first:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :D :banana:

How has Carolina ever lost a game? This idiot has been blowin smoke about the Panthers for a couple of days now...Get a clue son they are not that good.

Covered like a glove!

:banana:  :unsure:  :banana:  :bandana:  :clap:  :)  :cheers:  :first:

Well See when Stevonne Smith goes for over 100 with a pair of TD's :wub: :o

How has Carolina ever lost a game? This idiot has been blowin smoke about the Panthers for a couple of days now...Get a clue son they are not that good.

Actually they are.... and they are a lot better than the Vikings. Also I am very honest with my opinions, not only have I talked about our Many positives, but I have even spoke about the weak parts of our team, (Safty Help) PAnthers are Super Bowl contenders again this year. Remember That....

And unlike the Vik... NO team has blown us out, our 2 losses can on last second field goals.

Smoot just ain't that good. And what's with Winfield being mad? He sucks too......

Smoot is a great locker room guy. He talks the talk, and gets everybody on the same page(class clown,good for team chemistry). He was always on the Sports Junkies when he was in DC and he is funny, but he is not that good of a corner.