Sign in to follow this  
GiantsRule

Trying to remain fair

I don't see anything in the rules regarding a WR being used in a position like quarterback. Obviously, it's different when you have a two-way player that gets a similar number of looks or touches (e.g., RB/TEs Mike Sellers, Chris Cooley, Jim Kleinsasser, etc). And our league provides deep bonuses for yardage from gadget plays from position players such as ARE's trick TD pass and LT's frequent TD throws.

But now there is talk that Randle-El could possibly step in as the emergency QB this weekend with Roethlisberger and Batch out and Maddox potentially ineffective or prone to injury. If that's the case, starting Randle-El, even if he nets me only 100 yards passing as the team's QB, would give me a ridiculous 20 points.

I'm all for gaining an edge wherever I can (we all should be), but in a case like this, there is no precedent and I could potentially use an "extra QB" in a lineup that requires just one. It may not be fair to the rest of the league.

So before a controversy erupts, can we rule now before I set my lineup for the weekend? Thanks guys.

As a sidenote: I don't feel eliminating ARE's points as a QB should be an option, as long as he only participates in a few trick plays, and Maddox or another QB, remains in the game.

Just for refrence, here are the WR passing scoring rules:

Number of Passing TDs 1-10 6 points each

Passing Yards 5-999 1 point for every 5

Pass Interceptions Thrown 1-99 -1 point each

Passing 2 Pointers 1-99 2 points each

I want to get more opinions on this before I rule on it. My thinking is that if Randel-El enters the game as a QB, then he is scored as a QB. The rules above are meant for when a WR throws the ball, meaning he lines up at WR, not QB. If he is the actual QB, that scoring system should not apply. However, I don't think we can stop you from starting him at WR either, and if he does play at QB, you should still get the points, just under the QB scoring, and not the WR scoring.

Thoughts?

if Randel-El enters the game as a QB, then he is scored as a QB. The rules above are meant for when a WR throws the ball, meaning he lines up at WR, not QB. If he is the actual QB, that scoring system should not apply.

:shocking: I agree with this assessment

:( I never realized positions were scored differently :(

Don't like that but rules are rules.

They should never be changed in mid-season.

Lucky you GR

I want to get more opinions on this before I rule on it. My thinking is that if Randel-El enters the game as a QB, then he is scored as a QB. The rules above are meant for when a WR throws the ball, meaning he lines up at WR, not QB. If he is the actual QB, that scoring system should not apply. However, I don't think we can stop you from starting him at WR either, and if he does play at QB, you should still get the points, just under the QB scoring, and not the WR scoring.

Thoughts?

I can see using this system. But what if Randle-El accumulates stats as a WR until he takes over at QB? Do I lose out on that, or does Randle-El magically convert to a bonus QB?

ARE has been FAR from productive this year, but let's assume Maddox hits him 2 times for 28 yards. Then he slips over his own shoelaces and ends up in traction. Randle-El enters. My team then gets credit for Randle-El's production as a QB using QB scoring rules.

Do I still get Randle-El's points he compiled as a WR earlier in the game?

I know this is an unlikely scenario and now word is that Ben is practicing for Week 11. Just wanted to set the precedent now to avoid problems later.

I want to get more opinions on this before I rule on it.  My thinking is that if Randel-El enters the game as a QB, then he is scored as a QB.  The rules above are meant for when a WR throws the ball, meaning he lines up at WR, not QB.  If he is the actual QB, that scoring system should not apply.  However, I don't think we can stop you from starting him at WR either, and if he does play at QB, you should still get the points, just under the QB scoring, and not the WR scoring.

Thoughts?

I can see using this system. But what if Randle-El accumulates stats as a WR until he takes over at QB? Do I lose out on that, or does Randle-El magically convert to a bonus QB?

ARE has been FAR from productive this year, but let's assume Maddox hits him 2 times for 28 yards. Then he slips over his own shoelaces and ends up in traction. Randle-El enters. My team then gets credit for Randle-El's production as a QB using QB scoring rules.

I know this is an unlikely scenario and now word is that Ben is practicing for Week 11. Just wanted to set the precedent now to avoid problems later.

My opinion is that you would get credit for the WR stats using WR scoring, and the QB stats using QB scoring. Now I know MFL will not score it like this, so I will need to manually adjust this, but my opinion is that is how it should be handled. But at no time should you loose the stats from him passing or receiving, we just need to clarify how they will be scored.

I also think we need to take a look at this rule in the offseason, i don't like the different pts for diff positions.

I want to get more opinions on this before I rule on it.  My thinking is that if Randel-El enters the game as a QB, then he is scored as a QB.  The rules above are meant for when a WR throws the ball, meaning he lines up at WR, not QB.  If he is the actual QB, that scoring system should not apply.  However, I don't think we can stop you from starting him at WR either, and if he does play at QB, you should still get the points, just under the QB scoring, and not the WR scoring.

Thoughts?

My opinion is that you would get credit for the WR stats using WR scoring, and the QB stats using QB scoring. Now I know MFL will not score it like this, so I will need to manually adjust this, but my opinion is that is how it should be handled. But at no time should you loose the stats from him passing or receiving, we just need to clarify how they will be scored.

I also think we need to take a look at this rule in the offseason, i don't like the different pts for diff positions.

1 point for every 5 yards passing for non-QBs is a bit ridiculous. I do agree with 6 points for TDs though.

I think the special scoring rules should be used if this situation arises. Reason being El isn't a qb, he's a wr. Since he never practices as a qb (until recently) he's not going to light it up as one. I believe the special scoring is used for gadget plays. If El throws, it will be a gadget play.

Here is my game summary if El starts at qb:

Hand off left to FWP

Hand off right to FWP

QB draw up the middle

Punt or Hand off left to FWP

And this is AirRam btw. Still serving out my three month suspension for losing a bet on the CSU/CU game.

OK, after reading the responses here, there is no clear majority either way, but If Randel El in fact plays QB (he is listed as the back-up), his passing stats will be treated as such. He will be the QB, not a WR, so will not get the 1 pt per 5 yds, he will be treated as a QB. Any receiving stats he accumulates as a WR will be treated as such. So i.e the following occurs:

Starts the game as WR and has 2 rec for 36 yds.

Mid way through the second Q Maddox goes down, Randel El come into the game AS QB and throws for 130 yds and 2 TD's.

GR will get 3 pts for the rec & 13 pts for the passing for a total of 16 pts.

This is how it will be dealt with, if he goes into the game as a WR and throws a pass, then I will give him the WR passing pts for that play alone. If anyone watches the full game, please help me out and keep an eye on if he enters the game as QB at all. Thanks!

We will handle it this year in this way, and clarify the rules in the offseason. There are no rules to clarify a situation like this. Thanks GR for bringing this up before the fact.

GR, I don't care what Tuna says about you. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

GR, I don't care what Tuna says about you.   You are a gentleman and a scholar.

It's the overwhelming respect I have for the Shula league and its participants. :cheers:

Besides, what fun is stacking the odds against the rest of the teams if you're trying to keep the league competitive?

:cheers:

What the hell did Tuna say about me?!?

Miller, I have no problem with using CBS Sh!tline's "Play by Play" of the game to determine when (if) ARE was under center as QB.

It's the overwhelming respect I have for the Shula league and its participants. :rolleyes:

Besides, what fun is stacking the odds against the rest of the teams if you're trying to keep the league competitive?

:blink:

Miller, I have no problem with using CBS Sh!tline's "Play by Play" of the game to determine when (if) ARE was under center as QB.

:banana: WSounds good to me, NFL.com has one as well, if we need to we can sort through it!

:lol:

BNy the way....OSU RULES!!!! Suckigan SUCKS!!!! :banana:

It's the overwhelming respect I have for the Shula league and its participants. :cheers:

:wall:

:cheers: WSounds good to me, NFL.com has one as well, if we need to we can sort through it!

:cheers:

BNy the way....OSU RULES!!!! Suckigan SUCKS!!!! :headbanger:

Hit my 3-teamer thanks to that improbable TD when OSU was down by only 2. Thought for sure they'd get a FG (I had OVER 44.5 to go with the overs in the V. Tech and Minnesota games).

I was only able to get cell phone scoring updates. I saw some drives end for both Mich and OSU in FG range. Did they wuss out and punt, go for 4th down and miss, or miss the FGs?