Sign in to follow this  
TIKI-BARBERS-BARBER

Sopranos!

Tony's dead :banana:

Nope, the way to tell is that there were no previews for next week after tonight's episode.

Nope, the way to tell is that there were no previews for next week after tonight's episode.

Nope, there are two ways to look at that. If he was dead any preview would obviously give it away. If he is not dead then the preview will give that away too. He could be dead and the rest of the season could be based on the struggle for power. Would people watch? Who cares because its a subscriber based program.

Chris' character seemed the most impressive to me out of the gate. It also appeared that they are setting up Carmela (and Tony) for a meteoric drop of some sort with all the flaunting of money. The music backdrop to the opening and the closing was smooth. What was that from?

Music was Seven Souls by William Burroughs

Tony's not dead. That was a belly wound. Painful as hell, and it could kill you if you bled out, but not usually fatal. Fortunately for him, he got to the phone in time. The 911 folks would send someone since there was no answer. The cops will be quite interested once they realize who got shot.

Awesome first episode. My mouth was gaping open in shock several times. Mighty realistic to have the guy piss after hanging himself.

Tony's not dead. That was a belly wound. Painful as hell, and it could kill you if you bled out, but not usually fatal. Fortunately for him, he got to the phone in time. The 911 folks would send someone since there was no answer. The cops will be quite interested once they realize who got shot.

It could be a backwards season where the first episode is the end to it all. That would suck but its possible.

I watched the Behind the Scenes special on HBO this past week and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing shots of Tony in a variety of different scenes that didn't air tonight. One that comes to mind is him dancing with an absolutely smokin' Meadow. That scene didn't appear tonight.

Speaking of Meadow, how bout that nice underwear dance they put in the opening sequence. The GF just sat there silent, knew there was no point even asking me if that got my blood flowing.

Am I the only one who found it a bit corny? All the references with Vito (Joseph R. Gannascolia) and Celebrity Fit Club. All the little corny one liners and product placement. I dunno, i'm a diehard Sopranos fan through and through but this premiere just seemed a bit cheesy to me.

Big Love was awesome though. Chloë Sevigny is so hot.

I watched the Behind the Scenes special on HBO this past week and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing shots of Tony in a variety of different scenes that didn't air tonight. One that comes to mind is him dancing with an absolutely smokin' Meadow. That scene didn't appear tonight.

Speaking of Meadow, how bout that nice underwear dance they put in the opening sequence. The GF just sat there silent, knew there was no point even asking me if that got my blood flowing.

I saw that too 13 minutes thing on demand

Am I the only one who found it a bit corny? All the references with Vito (Joseph R. Gannascolia) and Celebrity Fit Club. All the little corny one liners and product placement. I dunno, i'm a diehard Sopranos fan through and through but this premiere just seemed a bit cheesy to me.

Big Love was awesome though. Chloë Sevigny is so hot.

You thought Sopranos was "cheesy" but "Big Love" was awesome?!? :o

That was one painful hour of boring TV. It might as well have starred the CBS NFL announcers! I don't even get how the show is on HBO. Because they are Mormon, they can't curse. Other than a disturbing shot of Bill Paxton's B-hind (*SIGH*), there isn't even any real nudity. Nip|Tuck, The Shield, and early NYPD Blue was far racier and that was basic cable and network TV!

Fantastic first episode!

I was all geared up to be let down... and it didn't happen... the premiere lived up to all the hype.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I thought too much time was wasted on going out to eat but whatever. It really picked up in the last 3-4 minutes though. :o

You thought Sopranos was "cheesy" but "Big Love" was awesome?!? :first:

That was one painful hour of boring TV. It might as well have starred the CBS NFL announcers!

:rolleyes: Yeah, the pregame was pretty silly.

The product placement of the Porche Cayenne got annoying but it was a great start to the season to say the least. Meadow's body was smoking and as previously mentioned, the silence from my fiancee was priceless. :first:

It could be a backwards season where the first episode is the end to it all. That would suck but its possible.

Yes, that would indeed suck. I think a pretty slim chance of this being the case tho.

Yes, that would indeed suck. I think a pretty slim chance of this being the case tho.

I always liked the backwards episode on Seinfeld. Trivia....In the backwards episode (a classic), Kramer has a friend he calls FDR. What does it stand for? :first:

The product placement of the Porche Cayenne got annoying but it was a great start to the season to say the least. Meadow's body was smoking and as previously mentioned, the silence from my fiancee was priceless. :first:

the internetS Sopranos rumors talked about Tony being out of a few episodes while Silvio tries (unsuccessfully) to take over as the interim #1.

Also, until last night's episode, I never really bought into the Meadow=Hot thinking... I was wrong, she's all growed up and she's fantastic.

the internetS Sopranos rumors talked about Tony being out of a few episodes while Silvio tries (unsuccessfully) to take over as the interim #1.

Also, until last night's episode, I never really bought into the Meadow=Hot thinking... I was wrong, she's all growed up and she's fantastic.

I could certainly see that scenario taking place. Not necessarily gone persay, but out of the forefront. They hinted at Silvio taking over some day earlier on. Meadow was certainly more grown up. :thumbsup:

I could certainly see that scenario taking place. Not necessarily gone persay, but out of the forefront. They hinted at Silvio taking over some day earlier on. Meadow was certainly more grown up. :thumbsup:

Can any tell me the actress' name who played Deanne Pontecorvo? :banana:

You were SO WRONG! It is a crime of wrongness.

At least you have seen and acknowledged the error of your ways.

That takes a big, spectacularly erect man.

Music was Seven Souls by William Burroughs

Excerpt from "The Western Lands"

by William Burroughs

The ancient Egyptians postulated seven souls, Top soul, and the first to leave at the moment of death, is Ren, the Secret Name. This corresponds to my Director, He directs the film of your life from conception to death. The Secret Name is the title of your film. When you die, that's where Ren came in.

Second soul, and second one off the sinking ship, is Sekem: Energy, Power, Light The Director gives the orders, Sekem presses the right buttons.

Number three is Khu, the Guardian Angel. He, she, or it is third man out . . . depicted as flying away across a full moon, a bird with luminous wings and head of light. Sort of thing you might see on a screen in an Indian restaurant in Panama. The Khu is responsible for the subject and can be injured in his defense- but not permanently, since the first three souls are eternal. They go beck to Heaven for another vessel.

The four remaining souls must take their chances with the subject in the Land of the Dead. Number four is Ba, the heart, often treacherous. This is a hawk's body with your face on it, shrunk down to the size of a fist. Many a hero has been brought down, like Samson, by a perfidious Ba.

Number five is Ka, the Double, most closely associated with the subject. The Ka, which usually reaches adolescence at the time of bodily death, is the only reliable guide through the Land of the Dead to the western Lands.

Number six is Khaibit, the Shadow, Memory, your whole past conditioning from this and other lives.

Number seven is Sekhu, the Remains.

I first encountered this concept in Norman Mailer's, Ancient Evenings, and saw that it corresponded precisely with my own mythology, developed over a period of many years, since birth in fact.

Ren, the Director, the Secret Name, is your life story, your destiny-in one word or one sentence, what was your life about? Nixon: Watergate. Billy the Kid: Quien es?

And what is the Ren of the Director?

Actors frantically packing in thousands of furnished rooms and theatrical hotels: "Don't bother with all that junk, John. The Director is on stage! And you know what that means in show biz: every man for himself."

Sekem corresponds to my Technician: ,Lights. Action. Camera. ' "Look, boss, we don't got enough Sek to fry an elderly woman in a fleabag hotel fire. And yoa want s hurricane?" "Well, Joe, we'll just have to start faking it"

"###### moguls don't even know what buttons to push or what happens when you push them. Sure; start faking it and leave the details to Joe."

Look, from a real disaster you get a pig of Sek: sacrifice, tears, heartbreak, heroism and violent death. Always remember, one case of VD yields more Sek than a cancer ward. And you get the lowest acts of which humans are capable-remember the Italian steward who put on women's clothes and so filched a seat in a lifeboat? "A cur in human shape, certainly he was born and saved to set a new standard by which to judge infamy and shame." With a Sek surplus you can underwrite the next one, but if the first one's a fake you can't underwrite a shithouse. Sekem is second man out: 'No power left in this set" He drinks a bicarbonate of soda and disappears in a belch.

Lots of people don't have a Khu these days. No Khu would work for them. Mafioso Don: "Get offa me, Khu crumb! Worka for a living!"

Ba, the Heart: that's sex. Always treacherous. Suck all the Sek out of a man. Many Bas, have poison juices.

The Ka is about the only soul a man can trust. If you don't make it, he don't make it. But it is very difficult to contact your real Ka.

Sekhu is the physical body, and the planet is mostly populated with walking Sekhus, just enough Sek to keep them moving.

The Venusian invasion is a takeover of the souls. Ren is degraded by Hollywood down to John Wayne levels. Sekem works for the Company. The Khus are all transparent fakes. The Bas is rotten with AIDS. The Ka is paralyzed. Khaibit sits on yon like a nagging wife. Sekhu is poisoned with radiation and contaminants and cancer.

There is intrigue among the souls, and treachery. No worse fate can befall a man than to be surrounded by traitor souls. And what about Mr. Eight-Ball, who has these souls? They don't exist without him, and he gets the dirty end of every stick.

Eights of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your dirty rotten vampires: A hundred years ago there were rat-killing .dogs known as "Fancies." A man bet on his "Fancy," how many rata he would kill. The rats were confined in a circular arena too high for a rat to jump over. But they formed pyramids, so that the top rats could escape. Sekhu is bottom rat in the pyramid. Like the vital bottom integer in a serial, when that goes, the whole serial universe gone up in smoke. It never existed.

Angelic boys who walk on water, sweet inhuman voices from a distant star. The Khu, sweet -bird of night, with luminous wings and a head of light, flies across the full moon . . . a born-again redneck raise's his shotgun. . . .

"Stinkin' Khu!"

The Egyptians recognized many degrees of immortality. The Ren and the Sekem and the Khu are relatively immortal, but still subject to injury. The other souls who survive physical death are much more precariously situated.

Can any soul survive the searing fireball of an atomic blast? If humans and animal souls are seen as electromagnetic force fields, such fields could be totally disrupted by a nuclear explosion. The mummy's 'nightmare: disintegration of souls, and this is precisely the ultrasecret and supersensitive function of the atom bomb: a Soul Killer, to alleviate an escalating soul glut.

I thought that dude who hung himself was gonna hang around (oops, unintentional funny) a while and maybe build a 'let's kill Tony' plot line.

Instead, he's a one episode wonder.

At least he gave us a good whacking in that diner. :up:

I thought that dude who hung himself was gonna hang around (oops, unintentional funny) a while and maybe build a 'let's kill Tony' plot line.

There are many ways that the hanging dude's death could play into this. It could be as simple as giving Junior an out. They plant Junior's gun in the hanging guy's house and blame Tony's shooting on him.

There are many ways that the hanging dude's death could play into this. It could be as simple as giving Junior an out. They plant Junior's gun in the hanging guy's house and blame Tony's shooting on him.

Nah. Having the cops know Junior did it works in Junior's favor.

It's just further proof that his little red choo-choo has gone round the bend and he's incapable of assisting in his own defense at trial.

Of course you're right that The Swinger may play some additional role.

Of course you're right that The Swinger may play some additional role.

Or the Swinger's wife or son. :doublethumbsup:

Or the Swinger's wife or son. :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, the son could be up to some schitt.

I thought he was one of the kids who roughed up Hesh and the other guy.

You thought Sopranos was "cheesy" but "Big Love" was awesome?!? :doublethumbsup:

That was one painful hour of boring TV. It might as well have starred the CBS NFL announcers! I don't even get how the show is on HBO. Because they are Mormon, they can't curse. Other than a disturbing shot of Bill Paxton's B-hind (*SIGH*), there isn't even any real nudity. Nip|Tuck, The Shield, and early NYPD Blue was far racier and that was basic cable and network TV!

Like I said. I'm a Chloe Sevigny fan. I also don't need violence and dialogue a 10 year old could write to enjoy something. I thought Big Love was witty and well written with bits of dark comedy throughout making it quirky and interesting. It reminded me of the writing on 6 Feet Under which was probably the best show ever on HBO.

I still enjoyed the Soprano's premier I just found it cheesy and the jokes force fed.

Like I said. I'm a Chloe Sevigny fan. I also don't need violence and dialogue a 10 year old could write to enjoy something. I thought Big Love was witty and well written with bits of dark comedy throughout making it quirky and interesting. It reminded me of the writing on 6 Feet Under which was probably the best show ever on HBO.

I still enjoyed the Soprano's premier I just found it cheesy and the jokes force fed.

At the risk of getting banned, saying that the Sopranos dialogue can be written by a 10-year-old is incredibly short-sighted and silly. (That's right...I went there.)

And where, pray tell, was the "dark comedy". I gave it a fair shot and sat through the whole episode despite being bored out of my mind 10 minutes in. What was supposed to be even mildly amusing?!?

At the risk of getting banned, saying that the Sopranos dialogue can be written by a 10-year-old is incredibly short-sighted and silly. (That's right...I went there.)

And where, pray tell, was the "dark comedy". I gave it a fair shot and sat through the whole episode despite being bored out of my mind 10 minutes in. What was supposed to be even mildly amusing?!?

I was only making a reference to the first episode of this season not the entire series. I thoght at first that maybe it was just me and my high expectations of the show but after conversing with some of my friends a majority of them had the same opinion. I hope The Soprano's heads back towards the writing and dialogue that made it so great but I honestly feel that something was off on this first episode.

As far as Big Love maybe i'm just jaded being such a big fan of Chloe Sevigny and her movies like KIDS and Gummo which are two of my favorites.

I was only making a reference to the first episode of this season not the entire series. I thoght at first that maybe it was just me and my high expectations of the show but after conversing with some of my friends a majority of them had the same opinion. I hope The Soprano's heads back towards the writing and dialogue that made it so great but I honestly feel that something was off on this first episode.

As far as Big Love maybe i'm just jaded being such a big fan of Chloe Sevigny and her movies like KIDS and Gummo which are two of my favorites.

I liked her hog throating abilities in "The Brown Bunny". B)

Nobody has mentioned Meadow dancing in underwear in the past 10 posts.

I liked her hog throating abilities in "The Brown Bunny". :thumbsup:

Haha yah. Too bad you're half asleep after watching Vincent Gallo ride a motorcycle round and round for 30 minutes before it gets to that part. That's one movie I sat through ONLY because of Chloe Sevigny. God what a horrible movie that was.

But back on Soprano's. I can't believe Vito thinks he can run the family. He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Didn't you think that whacking was a little harsh for owing some money? I wonder how much the guy owed. Couldn't he have gotten roughed up? I know Chistopher said that ship had sailed but the guy had no scars or anything on him.

Didn't you think that whacking was a little harsh for owing some money? I wonder how much the guy owed. Couldn't he have gotten roughed up? I know Chistopher said that ship had sailed but the guy had no scars or anything on him.

He coulda had a busted leg under the table.

I think Tony will be out of commission for a while. Silvio or Christopher will fill in for a bit and do a poor job and the business will suffer.

Phil will also grow more balls with Tony out of the picture.

Basically, hell will break loose and Tony will come back and kick some ass. Also, he might incurr some medical bills that might put a strain on their financial situation. I know I heard Carmella mention an "insurance card" but I bet that falls through somehow.