Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Civil Rights Warrior Isaac Hayes Quits South Park

Citing intolerable bigotry and assaults on religion, Isaac Hayes is quiting his role as Chef on South Park.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_...ple_isaac_hayes

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Thank Flying Spaghetti Monster we have dedicate warriors of justice to protect us from...wait...he was Chef on South Park...for 8 years...and hes complaining NOW about their subject matter??

"Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors

Tom Cruise and

John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out."

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

:blink:

Civil Rights Warrior Isaac Hayes

Huh? what?

The dude who did chef's voice on South Park

Oh that guy!

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of checks - with our show making fun of Christians."

Way to take a stand. It only took 8 yrs.

i'm sure he was pressured to quit.

i'm sure he was pressured to quit.

to back up my statement, here are isaac's original feelings about the scientology episode from an interview:

AVC: There's some pretty harsh satire on South Park. They don't really care who they offend.

IH: But that's their thing! They're success was built on that cutting-edge stuff. I've had to defend them a lot of times. One time on BET Tonight I defended them because Tavis Smiley, the host on that show, was coming at me. It was a call-in show, too, so people were calling in. I told them not to take this stuff seriously. If you do, you'll get in trouble. Just enjoy it. Remember your high-school yearbook? You look at those pictures now, you laugh, right? That's what South Park is. You got to laugh at it. Because we cursed, but we just didn't dare let the principals, the teachers, or the preachers hear it. And we didn't turn out bad, okay? Just look at it that way. Also, usually there's some kind of moral message at the end for the kids, by the Chef.

AVC: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?

IH: Well, I talked to Matt and Trey about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that ######, you know?" But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do. [Laughs.]

avclub

Guest Mr.T

Thanks for the post peenie, interesting.

They did get Scientology correct. As much as non-members know about it anyhow, they don't let it leak the actual beliefs. I suppose South Park got every single Jewish/Christian/mormon/etc faith 100% correct?

The Mormon episode was really brutal. I don't think the Scientology episode was as harsh, but it is too bad Hayes is quiting.

In the beginning of the shows history, it must have been nice to attach a reasonably well know name to the series to give it more exposure. He was a key member to an outstanding franchise.

I wonder how Stone and Parker resolve the departure of his character in the upcoming episodes. Good terms, or not.

The Mormon episode was really brutal. I don't think the Scientology episode was as harsh, but it is too bad Hayes is quiting.

In the beginning of the shows history, it must have been nice to attach a reasonably well know name to the series to give it more exposure. He was a key member to an outstanding franchise.

I wonder how Stone and Parker resolve the departure of his character in the upcoming episodes. Good terms, or not.

Knowing Stone and Parker, Issac is going to be in big trouble.

They did get Scientology correct. As much as non-members know about it anyhow, they don't let it leak the actual beliefs.

A friend of mine's cousin got taken for a ride by Scientology. They took all his $$$ and when he tried to hang onto the last bit they dropped him.

As for their beliefs, actually, South Park got it pretty much dead on.

They believe that alien soulds inhabit human bodies and that they are responsible for all of the bad stuff that people do. Hence why it appeals to celebs so much...why feel guilty for being a diva when you can blame it on an alien poltergeist? By auditing courses (i.e forking over your $$$) you can purge these alien creepy-crawlies.

The Mormon episode was really brutal.

The Mormon episode was freakin great!!!

"Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb" :laugh:

They should introduce a new Chef character who is a Scientologist and an unbelievable ######.

They should introduce a new Chef character who is a Scientologist and an unbelievable ######.

Nah, I dont think Tom Cruise would make a good full-time character

Tom "Fat Actress" Travolta? :blink: ?

"If you like Chef, you're goinna love Mr. Derp."