Sign in to follow this  
Churchill610

Rant! NW Airlines Charging for Exit Row Seats

Guest Mr.T

Why are they douchebags? They're a business and they're trying to make a profit. As long as the government doesn't help them out financially they should charge whatever they like for whatever they want. Damn, charge me to sit next to a window, or to be close to the bathroom.

Don't fly Northwest. Pretty simple solution. I flew NW once... they suck so bad I would never EVER fly them again. Why you would feel compelled to wait for a situation like this to bail on NW escapes me... they blow.

Guest Mr.T
Don't fly Northwest. Pretty simple solution. I flew NW once... they suck so bad I would never EVER fly them again. Why you would feel compelled to wait for a situation like this to bail on NW escapes me... they blow.

Sounds like a free market to me. What a concept.

As a 6'5" guy, I have to say I love this idea. I'd gladly pay 15 extra dollars for an exit row seat and for not having to get to the airport and stalk the ticket counter so some 60 year old 5'5" lady who probably couldn't even lift the door in an emergency doesn't beat me to it.

Why are they douchebags? They're a business and they're trying to make a profit. As long as the government doesn't help them out financially they should charge whatever they like for whatever they want. Damn, charge me to sit next to a window, or to be close to the bathroom.

The government has helped them out A LOT. Part of their bankruptcy is a shiatload of money that they owe the state of Minnesota. I believe that Minnesota bailed them out at least twice before they screwed up enough to have to do what they're doing with their employees, and the bankruptcy. Of course, their executives who've come and gone in the last few years got multi million dollar going away presents when they quit/retired/got fired.

The government has helped them out A LOT. Part of their bankruptcy is a shiatload of money that they owe the state of Minnesota. I believe that Minnesota bailed them out at least twice before they screwed up enough to have to do what they're doing with their employees, and the bankruptcy. Of course, their executives who've come and gone in the last few years got multi million dollar going away presents when they quit/retired/got fired.

So since the gubment has helped them out, they aren't entitled to charge and maybe, I dunno, recoup some of your hard earned tax dollars?

I only wish it were as easy as "Don't fly Northworst". Sometimes you really don't have any better options. That is, unless one wants to make 1 or 2 connections out of their way. Certain airlines have a mortal lock on certain routes through their hub-and-spoke systems which make it easy for them to charge higher fares than others. I have to fly in & out of Detroit Metro in order to visit my family and their fares usually stink because they have the majority of flights. They can lock out competitors up to a point and make any newcomers into that market bleed cash to compete. Once the newcomer has bled enough cash, the legacy carrier raises its prices. It's one f-ed up, crazy industry. I should know as I've been in it for 14 years. :ninja:

I only wish it were as easy as "Don't fly Northworst". Sometimes you really don't have any better options. That is, unless one wants to make 1 or 2 connections out of their way. Certain airlines have a mortal lock on certain routes through their hub-and-spoke systems which make it easy for them to charge higher fares than others. I have to fly in & out of Detroit Metro in order to visit my family and their fares usually stink because they have the majority of flights. They can lock out competitors up to a point and make any newcomers into that market bleed cash to compete. Once the newcomer has bled enough cash, the legacy carrier raises its prices. It's one f-ed up, crazy industry. I should know as I've been in it for 14 years. :ninja:

Sucks for you. I'm with Mephisto, NW is the worst airline in the history of evah. I'm in the Phoenix airport now waiting for my cheap, ontime Southwest flight.

So since the gubment has helped them out, they aren't entitled to charge and maybe, I dunno, recoup some of your hard earned tax dollars?

That's not what I said. I was responding to Mr T who said, "As long as the government isn't helping them out..."

I was simply saying that the gubment HAS helped them out, MULTIPLE times. Whether or not they charge $15 for exit row seats means nothing to me... Hell, I'd probably pay it - if I were to ever fly NWA again... which I'd prefer not to. The mechanics working on those planes were trained in record time to replace the striking mechanics.

Northworst is the only airline that I will no longer fly.

I guess that doesn't pertain to the charge for exit row seats. I actually like that idea. I would probably pay more for them, especially for longer flights.

Guest Mr.T

I'm well aware the government has bailed them out, multiple times. I have a huge issue with that as well. I have, however, no problem with the airlines charging as much as they want for whatever they want.

I always avoided those rows. I don't know why. Maybe I was afraid I'd mess up if there was an emergency.

But three years ago those were the only seats left (on a change of itenery) and we sat there.

Ever since, I've ALWAYS selected that row. Lots more room. Lots.

I've never been asked by Delta to pay $ 15 extra. But I would.

It's not a good value.

Everyone knows the first thing to do after a crash is beat down the exit row people.

They're always too slow.

I'm well aware the government has bailed them out, multiple times. I have a huge issue with that as well. I have, however, no problem with the airlines charging as much as they want for whatever they want.

Well color me confusored then. You said, "As long as the government isn't bailing them out..."

:ninja:

It's not a good value.

Everyone knows the first thing to do after a crash is beat down the exit row people.

They're always too slow.

You have to get the service plan... it protects against the beatdown.

That's not what I said. I was responding to Mr T who said, "As long as the government isn't helping them out..."

I was simply saying that the gubment HAS helped them out, MULTIPLE times. Whether or not they charge $15 for exit row seats means nothing to me... Hell, I'd probably pay it - if I were to ever fly NWA again... which I'd prefer not to. The mechanics working on those planes were trained in record time to replace the striking mechanics.

I see that I suppose upon rereading, but everything else in his post was basically saying "let them charge if people will pay." Your response seemed a direct objection to this position. As others have since agreed.

Guest Mr.T
Well color me confusored then. You said, "As long as the government isn't bailing them out..."

:ninja:

I should rephrase. I have no problem with anything they charge, I only have a problem when the government bails them out. Better? :bench:

I should rephrase. I have no problem with anything they charge, I only have a problem when the government bails them out. Better? :lol:

Now I get it!! :cheers:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I'm a bit dim these days... sorry. Knee pain... and stuff

Now I get it!! :cheers:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I'm a bit dim these days... sorry. Knee pain... and stuff

I like dim, cute, and drugged. :lol:

Unfortunately we're missing the drugged portion..

:cry:

I'll buy you a drink and fix that. B)

:cry:

(Can you slip some Vicodin or Oxy in there?)

You bet, if the dim and cute are true. Plus I'll add slutty and horny. B)