Sign in to follow this  
golden eagles

Geek in the news

I hate duke

Fans Eager to Resell NCAA Tickets

Within seconds of the tix not selling on ebay, I get an email from this reporter who wants me to call her. I sent her back that she could call me, thinking that would be the end of it. Well about 2 hours later, my cell phone rings.

Unfortunately, she didn't use all my quotes like:

"I would understand Carolina not playing in Greensboro if they had NC State's record"

"Carolina not playing in Greensboro is wrong on every level & the NCAA knows it"

wow, its gotta suck to have hoover as a last name.

Wow, that might be the first time I've ever heard that...

:headbanger:

I can't think of one level where UNC not playing in Greensboro is wrong. They're a number 3 seed.

I can't think of one level where UNC not playing in Greensboro is wrong. They're a number 3 seed.

Well, let's see,

-They were the only 3 seed to get shipped away from their home area

-The pod system is supposed to keep teams as close to home as possible, Tennessee would be a better fit in Dayton than Greensboro

-Carolina lost 2 games sine Jan. 28th, one by 4 points, one by 3

-Tennesse lost 4 of their last 6

-UNC is the host school for the Greensboro Regional. The UNC ticket office had a deal last year where if you bought tickets to the Womens first/second round in Chapel Hill, you got first chance at the Greensboro first/second round for this year. I did that & gave the tix to the Boys/Girls clubs, as did thousands of other Carolina fans. That is why there are so many pissed off Tar Heel fans this week.

-Carolina is the DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPS, that should count for something.

-Since the pod system started two years ago, there have been Regionals in Raleigh & Charlotte. In Raleigh in 2004, they put Wake Forest & Duke. In 2005 in Charlotte, they put duke & North Carolina. What happened this year?

If Carolina squeaked into the tourney, as most people thought they would, it would be understandalbe. But, until they lost last Saturday, they were one of the best teams in the country, they got screwed.

-They were the only 3 seed to get shipped away from their home area

Gonzaga is in friggin Utah right now

-The pod system is supposed to keep teams as close to home as possible, Tennessee would be a better fit in Dayton than Greensboro

-Since the pod system started two years ago, there have been Regionals in Raleigh & Charlotte. In Raleigh in 2004, they put Wake Forest & Duke. In 2005 in Charlotte, they put duke & North Carolina. What happened this year?

What happened is UNC got a three seed. You can't give a 3 seed home court advantage.

-Carolina lost 2 games sine Jan. 28th, one by 4 points, one by 3

-Tennesse lost 4 of their last 6

Are you arguing that UNC should be a 2 seed over Tennessee or that UNC as a three seed should be in Greensboro? This is irrelevant.

-UNC is the host school for the Greensboro Regional. The UNC ticket office had a deal last year where if you bought tickets to the Womens first/second round in Chapel Hill, you got first chance at the Greensboro first/second round for this year. I did that & gave the tix to the Boys/Girls clubs, as did thousands of other Carolina fans. That is why there are so many pissed off Tar Heel fans this week.

I don't see how the actions of the teams fans should affect where the team plays.

-Carolina is the DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPS, that should count for something.

No it shouldn't

If Carolina squeaked into the tourney, as most people thought they would, it would be understandalbe. But, until they lost last Saturday, they were one of the best teams in the country, they got screwed.

You're arguing seeds again

The system has nothing to do with seeds, UNC could've & should've played in Greensboro as a 2 or a 3 seed. They could have put 2-Tennessee/15-Winthrop in Dayton & no one would have known the difference.

Plus, Murray State is a 14 seed & they'll have a gym full of fans there tomorrow night because of their proximity to Dayton.

I knew last year when I bought the tix that UNC may not play there, I can accept that. But for the last 2 years, they've put two area teams in Raleigh & Charlotte & there is no reason they should not have done that this year, simple as that.

If seeding has nothing to do with seed, shouldn't Winthrop get to play close to home considering Tennesssee is pretty much equal distance from Dayton and Greensboro. I think you're letting your wasted tickets get you down. At least you can watch Duke and Southern. Anyone want to bet a shoving match breaks out followed by the 25 Duke assisstant coachs blocking out the entire bench and Coach K giving the instigator from Southern a disapproving frown?

If seeding has nothing to do with seed, shouldn't Winthrop get to play close to home considering Tennesssee is pretty much equal distance from Dayton and Greensboro. I think you're letting your wasted tickets get you down. At least you can watch Duke and Southern.

I'll admit to some of that, sure, I am more upset that I didn't see North Carolina play today than the fact that $110 worth of tix went unused this afternoon.

I gave the evening session tix to a friend & his kid who are duke fans who probably wouldn't be able to go to the game using their own $$. I had to work anyways. Had I been able to take today off work with no issues, I would've went, but that just wasn't possible, although I would've made it happen had UNC been there. Plus, with the duke game starting at after 10:00pm, I would've been looking at getting home well after midnight & back to work tomorrow, so I'm pretty happy sitting on my sofa watching the rest of the nights games.

I'm going to go Saturday for Wichita State/Tenn & GW/duke (assuming they win, doubtful they won't). Between Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, & Raleigh, I think I've been to 5 NCAA Tourneys, 4 1st/2nd rounds & 1 Regional. I've seen duke play in 3 of those, UNC in 3 (Carolina & duke were together last year). I don't stay home just because Carolina isn't involved.

B) Just one more reason why this rivalry is the best in sports:

Raleigh News & Observer

After the game, Krzyzewski was philosophical about his team's uneven performance but seemed displeased enough to rehash an issue that was still bothering him from Wednesday's news conference.

"Just the fact that [the question] was asked that I had something to do with North Carolina going to Dayton. I've never heard of anything more ludicrous," Krzyzewski said.

Krzyzewski was directing his comments to the reporter who asked him Wednesday whether he had influenced the NCAA selection committee's decision to keep UNC out of Greensboro.

The Coliseum could have been a tough venue for Duke with the Heels sharing it. UNC might have outdrawn Duke like it did playing in their shared home state during the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament in Charlotte in 2005.

"When was I supposed to do that?" Krzyzewski said. "Like during a timeout with one minute to go in the ACC championship game, sidekick [send a text message] to Craig Littlepage [the selection committee chairman] and say, 'Look, send the Tar Heels someplace else.'

"I don't know where that came from. I was offended by that. No one has any influence. And the other thing is that, even if I did [have influence on that], I would never do that. I've been a head coach for 31 years. I would never do anything like that. I'm offended by the thought of that."

The "Pod" system was created so that the 1 thru 4 seeds could play closer to home. That is why the brackets are now called the Atlanta/DC/Oakland/Minny regions and not the North/South/East/West Regions as it used to be a few years back.

Fact is UNC should have played in Greensboro, and BC should not have been shipped out west. Gonzaga is in Utah because, well, there are no games played in Washington. If there were then the Zags should/would be there. :banana:

Why create the whole "Pod" system if you are not going to use it as intended? That is the beef.

I remember a few years back when Carolina fans and Duke fans were biotching about the fact that they'd face each other in the round of four instead of the final.

Now, you're biotching that you didn't get put in the same bracket.

Bunch of irrational elitist basketball snobs, the whole focking lot of ya.

I remember a few years back when Carolina fans and Duke fans were biotching about the fact that they'd face each other in the round of four instead of the final.

Now, you're biotching that you didn't get put in the same bracket.

Its the POD SYSTEM! All the teams that play in Greensboro for the first/second round games are are not in the same bracket. :thumbsup:

Its the POD SYSTEM! All the teams that play in Greensboro for the first/second round games are are not in the same bracket. :first:

Oh. :thumbsup:

You're still elitist snobs.

Nice job wasting your 15 minutes on this :thumbsup:

You take what you can get, right? :first:

She called me, I answered her questions.

Sure beats getting your face plastered all over Fox News for child pron or something

And your point...