Sign in to follow this  
Invision Power Board

Offered $5,000,000 For One Show

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/1...reut/index.html

Smiths rejected $5 million reunion offer

Morrissey: 'It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended'

Friday, March 17, 2006; Posted: 8:01 a.m. EST (13:01 GMT)

AUSTIN, Texas (Billboard) -- Pioneering U.K. modern rock band the Smiths turned down a $5 million offer to reunite at the upcoming Coachella Valley Arts & Music Festival in southern California, former frontman Morrissey said Thursday.

His revelation, during a public interview at the South By Southwest Music & Media Conference in Austin, triggered gasps from the audience. When journalist David Fricke asked if he had considered it, Morrissey replied, "No, because money doesn't come into it," a response that drew applause from the crowd.

Of the critically adored act, whic broke up ine the late 1980s, Morrissey said, "It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. (Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr) wanted to end it. And that was that."

Discussing his forthcoming album, "Ringleader of the Tormentors," due April 4 via Attack/Sanctuary, the notoriously gloomy singer/songwriter admitted that he's writing songs from a good place these days.

"I'm just seeing lots of joyful things in life, which I didn't in the past," he said, adding slyly, "Which maybe you noticed.

"Politically the world is ridiculous," he said. "But there's still a lot of beautiful things ... Nature saves us, nature calms us down."

Morrissey will first support the album with a European tour that includes a six-week run of sold-out shows in the United Kingdom. A North American leg is also expected.

Coachella, which takes place April 29-30 about 120 miles east of Los Angeles, will feature such acts as Depeche Mode, Tool and Madonna.

You're not supposed to cut and paste the entire article. :wall:

HTH

Coachella, which takes place April 29-30 about 120 miles east of Los Angeles, will feature such acts as Depeche Mode, Tool and Madonna.

Tool playing the same show as DEPECHE MODE?!?!?!

Talk about worlds colliding. One of my favorite bands of all time (Tool) with my second most HATED band of all time (DM). I hope Tool is only playing there to kill the Depeche Mode guys and prevent further musical travesties from being released.

This is almost as :banana: as the time ABBA turned down 1 BEEELION dollars to do a reunion tour (although I'm glad they did so my g/f can't drag me to the god-awful shat).