Sign in to follow this  
B1CUDA

High Cholesterol ? Anyone dealing with it?

I had my cholesterol checked awhile ago and it was 240. :banana: I am 35, 6-0', 235lbs., and in pretty solid shape. Heart disease is hereditary in my family which is cause for concern. I used to be super athletic before I started my own business, but, when I am not running the business, I just want to go home and relax after a hard day at the office. I know I need to get back to excercising and lose enough weight to get back to the 205-210 pound area.

Anyone here have any experience gettng their cholesterol levels down without using prescription meds such as Lipitor, etc. etc.???

I had exactly this experience. I had high cholesterol, pushing 300. 6'00", 175. The doc said he should put me on meds. I said no, let me try diet and exercise. I spent 8 weeks eating no red meat, no saturated fats, etc. Plus added more aerobic exercise to my routine. Redid the test and I was mid 100's. Doc said he had never seen anyone have as drastic a reduction without meds.

I may be an exception, any number of things could have affected the first test, etc. But I am a staunch believer that we as a society leap way too quickly to the drug card. Put in the effort to improve your diet and exercise. And two months of NOT being on the meds is not going to kill you. Do your best and see how much improvement you can make. If it doesn't work, you can go to the meds.

I'm 6'4" and weigh the exact same as you do, my level was over 900, I do have a family history of it though, after a year of Lipitor and a complete diet change I got it down to 210, yours isnt that bad though, I recomend diet change and see how that goes before drugs. I sure as fock aint no doctor though.

There are many things you can do without resorting to statin drugs. Eat oatmeal, replace white with whole grain bread, replace butter/margine with Smart Balance Spread (Smart balance makes peanut butter also, great stuff), cook with olive oil, eat more fish, eat more nuts (which contain good fats), avoid processed and "fast" food, take a fiber supplement, and of course exercise. You'll be fine.

There are many things you can do without resorting to statin drugs. Eat oatmeal, replace white with whole grain bread, replace butter/margine with Smart Balance Spread (Smart balance makes peanut butter also, great stuff), cook with olive oil, eat more fish, eat more nuts (which contain good fats), avoid processed and "fast" food, take a fiber supplement, and of course exercise. You'll be fine.

My cholesterol was a bit high a few months ago. I pretty much did what Gutterboy listed, and now my cholesterol is much, much better, other than I have to take fish oil capsules to raise my good cholesterol, as it dropped too much.

GratefulTed, 900 ???? Holy Crap! I have never heard of a level that high. Glad to see you got it down. I think I just need to kick myself in the arse and get back to doing cardio excercising and eating right, at the least. I forgot to add in my original post that heart disease is on both sides of my family. My first kid is due in less than two weeks and I want to be around for him and the other kidlets to follow him. Thanks for the replies. :banana:

My cholesterol was a bit high a few months ago. I pretty much did what Gutterboy listed, and now my cholesterol is much, much better, other than I have to take fish oil capsules to raise my good cholesterol, as it dropped too much.

Good to hear, thanks. You can raise your good cholesterol by eating peanuts, the smart balance products (Peanut butter, spread, popcorn), and olive oil.

Good to hear, thanks. You can raise your good cholesterol by eating peanuts, the smart balance products (Peanut butter, spread, popcorn), and olive oil.

I was surprised that the list of bad stuff I got from the doctor included olive oil. So I did my own research and came to this conclusion.

Also I think almonds are better than peanuts.

I was surprised that the list of bad stuff I got from the doctor included olive oil. So I did my own research and came to this conclusion.

Also I think almonds are better than peanuts.

I never had a need for oil, as I rarely fry anything, other than some non-stick spray for my egg beaters.

Peanuts are good and bad. The bad is the amout of calories they contain per serving, as with most types of nuts, even when they are plain. I like plain shelled sunflower seeds, but I have to see if they are a sufficient type of replacement for peanuts.

I tried everything I could instead of taking medicine, excercise, diet but it just didn't work for me.

Finally gave in and started taking the Lipitor every day. It works.

FIBER!!!!

Flax seed oil and lotsa fiber...

(beans, leafy greens, fruits and veggies)

It works... (a little exercise wouldn't hurt.)

Diet wont do it alone!

I had exactly this experience. I had high cholesterol, pushing 300. 6'00", 175. The doc said he should put me on meds. I said no, let me try diet and exercise. I spent 8 weeks eating no red meat, no saturated fats, etc. Plus added more aerobic exercise to my routine. Redid the test and I was mid 100's. Doc said he had never seen anyone have as drastic a reduction without meds.

I may be an exception, any number of things could have affected the first test, etc. But I am a staunch believer that we as a society leap way too quickly to the drug card. Put in the effort to improve your diet and exercise. And two months of NOT being on the meds is not going to kill you. Do your best and see how much improvement you can make. If it doesn't work, you can go to the meds.

QFT

Mine was 290 3 months ago, now it's 230 and falling. I also have a history of heart disease on my mother's side of the family. She had an uncle that died at 34 of a heart attack. Despite the obvious hereditary factors, what goes in + exercise has a LOT to do with it.

Hmm, my doc gave me a low-cholesterol list of things to use and olive oil was on the "bad" list. Don't olives contain lots of fat?

Hmm, my doc gave me a low-cholesterol list of things to use and olive oil was on the "bad" list. Don't olives contain lots of fat?

I posted earlier about this. Read that and do your own research. Mine concluded that it was beneficial for HDL.

I never had a need for oil, as I rarely fry anything, other than some non-stick spray for my egg beaters.

Peanuts are good and bad. The bad is the amout of calories they contain per serving, as with most types of nuts, even when they are plain. I like plain shelled sunflower seeds, but I have to see if they are a sufficient type of replacement for peanuts.

I use Olive oil for stir frying or browning chicken for a few things I make...also put some in the water when I boil pasta...also for browning ground turkey to actually give it some flavor...I prefer it to ground beef now in any dish I used to use beef with.

I rarely eat beef anymore because of cholesterol and high blood pressure (damn family history...) I eat beef maybe once or twice a month...and then it is only lean beef.

my understanding is that cholesterol isn't bad for you unless it begins to oxidize in the bloodstream. some say levels under 200 put you at risk of stroke, and it has been proven that lipitor can cause temporary memory loss. high levels of homocysteine in the blood cause the problems, so antioxidants like folic acid, ester-c, proanthocyanidins, etc will help keep the cholesterol from oxidizing. some research says that overcooking meat causes homocysteine. check out roex.com...they have a good program.

some research says that overcooking meat causes homocysteine.

That is just propaganda by the whackos advocating medium rare. :banana: :banana:

If it ain't black, send it back.

On 3/20/2006 at 12:43 AM, B1CUDA said:

I had my cholesterol checked awhile ago and it was 240. :banana: I am 35, 6-0', 235lbs., and in pretty solid shape. Heart disease is hereditary in my family which is cause for concern. I used to be super athletic before I started my own business, but, when I am not running the business, I just want to go home and relax after a hard day at the office. I know I need to get back to excercising and lose enough weight to get back to the 205-210 pound area.

Anyone here have any experience gettng their cholesterol levels down without using prescription meds such as Lipitor, etc. etc.???

I wonder if this dude is still alive.