Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

The Perfect Tri-Tip

Any tips, suggestions?

I can't get it right for the life of me...

Normal scenario :

1. Buy Meat

2. Marinade w/ chaka sauce for 2 days

3. Start charcol BBQ

4. Go through full can of lighter fluid to restart BBQ

5. Arrange coals in a "non direct" heat formation

6. Check meat every 10 minutes

7. Remove meat after 45 min-1 hour

8. Slice open meat only to find out its way to rare

9. Put meat back on BBQ

10. Remove meat and cut into only to find out its too well done

11. Throw meat in garbage

:mad: :mad:

go ahead and pull it off the grill when it's too rare. it's gonna cook for another 5-10 minutes afterward. do you use a thermometer?

You can't get a perfect tri-tip because it is a chitty cut of meat. Buy better meat...make better food.

go ahead and pull it off the grill when it's too rare. it's gonna cook for another 5-10 minutes afterward. do you use a thermometer?

I tried, but i still fock it up :banana:

A meat thermometer, or one of those that tell the bbq temp?

What temp should each be?

You can't get a perfect tri-tip because it is a chitty cut of meat. Buy better meat...make better food.

Which cut do you prefer?

I've had some tri-tip made for me that just melts in the mouth..

Cover it. Keep the heat in.

I allways do...Maybe I'm just doomed to mediocrity...The only thing I can make good is guacomole, and toast

Or do you mean cover it after you take it out? for a few minutes?

Or do you mean cover it after you take it out? for a few minutes?

Nah. Just while it's cooking.

If you're cooking it 45 min to 1 hour and it's too rare, you obviously don't have enough heat going on.

They should prolly be done in ten minutes tops.

If you're cooking it 45 min to 1 hour and it's too rare, you obviously don't have enough heat going on.

:banana:

First off, how do you like your steak? A nice medium (pink) should only take about 5-7 minutes a side on high heat

Don't screw around with this indirect heat crap. If you want to cook something like that, use your oven.

Get your grill hot, put the meat on, put the cover on the grill and leave it be for 5-7 minutes.

Flip it

cook another 5-7 minutes.

Take it off the fire and cover it with foil. Get the rest of your meal ready, put the steak on the plate, and eat the focker

They should prolly be done in ten minutes tops.

I try and use indirect heat, and attempt to keep the bbq at around 325...

I doubt the thermometer is very accurate though.. :banana:

I do have 1 of these on order from a spiff program at work, though...Might help..

I try and use indirect heat, and attempt to keep the bbq at around 325...

I doubt the thermometer is very accurate though.. :ninja:

I do have 1 of these on order from a spiff program at work, though...Might help..

You want a temp right around 150 for medium rare, 160 for medium, and 170 for well. I usually take my meat off around 150-155 and let it set for 5-10 minutes which takes it to just under medium. Cutting into your meat or removing/readding it to the coals is about the worst thing you can do. So go buy a nice meat thermometer and cook yourself the perfect tri-tip.

:banana:

You want a temp right around 150 for medium rare, 160 for medium, and 170 for well. I usually take my meat off around 150-155 and let it set for 5-10 minutes which takes it to just under medium. Cutting into your meat or removing/readding it to the coals is about the worst thing you can do. So go buy a nice meat thermometer and cook yourself the perfect tri-tip.

:ninja:

That low a temp?

How long does it usually take for med rare?

:wall: You mean meat temp, right? :wall:

That low a temp?

How long does it usually take for med rare?

:ninja: You mean meat temp, right? :wall:

right. your grill temp is fine and the way you're cooking it indirectly is also correct. you just don't want to pull meat off the grill and cut into it to check if it is done. as i'm sure you've found out it makes the meat dry and it usually gets overcooked very fast when you return it.

i'd do the exact same method you mentioned first but just insert a meath thermo somewhere in the center of the tri-tip and see what temp you're at. anywhere between 150-155 internal heat is going to be nice.

another trick you can use if you don't have a meat thermometer is what I call "Thumb Rule"....

Take one hand and hold it up loosely. With your other hand squeeze the thick part (the pad) of the thumb to get the feeling rare

Bring your index finger to your thumb to make a circle. With the other hand, squeeze the thumb pad again to get the feeling of medium.

Bring your middle finger to your thumb to make a circle and squeeze the thumb pad again to get the feeling of well done.

You're going about it all wrong Dude.

1. Buy meat...O.K.

2. Don't marinade the meat that long, you'll roon it. Try a dry rub instead of marinade.

3. Start chacoal..O.K.

4. Never use lighter fluid, buy a chimney starter for $10.

5. Arrange coals in "non direct" heat fromation. Good!

6. Check meat every 10 minutes. Wrong! Start the roast after the temperature of the coals has cooled to medium, medium/low. Every time you check the roast, you lose smoke and heat. The idea of cooking with smoke is to cook at a low temperature for a longer period of time.

7. 1 hour cooking time means that you're temeprature is too high to start with.

8. Use a meat thermometer. Pork is medium when internal temp. reaches 140 degrees. Beef is medium/rare at 125 degrees. Remove and cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

9. See above.

10. If you follow these steps, there won't be anything left to throw away.

125 degree beef is gonna be bloody as fack man. medium rare is about 145ish. pork you should be cooking to atleast 150-155 (160 is the USDA reco) unless you want to get sick.

Mobb Deep and Paulinst... :ninja:

Thanx, I really appreciate the help..

gonna try tomorrow again...

BTW, the check every 10 min. is / was sort of a joke...

I'm gonna beat this cooking thing :wall:

Mobb Deep and Paulinst... :ninja:

Thanx, I really appreciate the help..

gonna try tomorrow again...

BTW, the check every 10 min. is / was sort of a joke...

I'm gonna beat this cooking thing :wall:

Unless it's a steak, a burger or a thin chop, the rule is SLOW AND LOW!

:wall:

Unless it's a steak, a burger or a thin chop, the rule is SLOW AND LOW!

Beastie Boys!! :wall:

THAT IS THE TEMPO...

125 degree beef is gonna be bloody as fack man. medium rare is about 145ish. pork you should be cooking to atleast 150-155 (160 is the USDA reco) unless you want to get sick.

Ir you cook pirk to 150, you have dry pork. There hasn't been a case of trichanosis in this country since 1950. If you like shoe leather, go for it. No chef in America will cook pork any higher than 145.

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Meat_Dishes/Roasting.html

Ir you cook pirk to 150, you have dry pork. There hasn't been a case of trichanosis in this country since 1950. If you like shoe leather, go for it. No chef in America will cook pork any higher than 145.

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Meat_Dishes/Roasting.html

You'll only have problems with pork if you buy uninspected meat. Only garbage fed swine will give you the trichinosis.

another rule of thumb for steak doneness is push on you chin...feels like a rare steak, push on your nose.... feels like a medium steak, push on your forehead...feels like a well done steak.

sorry fricker, but that's just not true.

The Tri-Tip (sometimes referred to as a sirloin tip steak and not to be confused with sirloin tips) is a sirloin cut right out of the same area as the New York Sirloin (not to be confused with strip) and The Shortcut of Rump.

The problem with Tri-Tips is that they have to be cut properly and that requires cutting them at a bit of a funky angle. If a Tri-Tip isn't cut properly (against the grain) the result will be a chewy, rubbery steak.

Furthermore, from a retailer's perspective, cutting the Tri-Tip the "right" way doesn't always yield the maximum number of steaks and thus maximum profit out of each piece (i.e. if you cut them wrong, you may get an extra steak out of a tri-tip slab; instead of having 6 properly sliced steaks, you'll have 7 or 8 that are cut wrong).

IMO, the Tri-tip is one of the best "bang for your buck" steaks out there. If you don't want to spend the $10 (or more) per pound on Strips, Ribs, or Tenderloins, the Tri-tip gets you a nice sirlioin cut of steak in the $5 per pound range.

Cooking any cut of meat without a thermometer is foolish, unless you are a chef. Take off grill at 140° it should keep cooking another 5° for a perfect MR. Let meat rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

My personal favorite. Cook in oven at 240° until thermometer reads 130ish. Let rest for 15. Throw on hot grill for 4 minutes a side to char the outside. Let rest another 15. Cut.

:rolleyes:

sorry fricker, but that's just not true.

The Tri-Tip (sometimes referred to as a sirloin tip steak and not to be confused with sirloin tips) is a sirloin cut right out of the same area as the New York Sirloin (not to be confused with strip) and The Shortcut of Rump.

The problem with Tri-Tips is that they have to be cut properly and that requires cutting them at a bit of a funky angle. If a Tri-Tip isn't cut properly (against the grain) the result will be a chewy, rubbery steak.

Furthermore, from a retailer's perspective, cutting the Tri-Tip the "right" way doesn't always yield the maximum number of steaks and thus maximum profit out of each piece (i.e. if you cut them wrong, you may get an extra steak out of a tri-tip slab; instead of having 6 properly sliced steaks, you'll have 7 or 8 that are cut wrong).

IMO, the Tri-tip is one of the best "bang for your buck" steaks out there. If you don't want to spend the $10 (or more) per pound on Strips, Ribs, or Tenderloins, the Tri-tip gets you a nice sirlioin cut of steak in the $5 per pound range.

So, you just admitted that strips, ribs and tenderloins are a better cut of meat, and that most grocery store tri-tips (where most of these folks buy their steak) are cut so as to produce a chewy, rubbery steak. Where was I wrong?

Where was I wrong?

it is a chitty cut of meat

Respect the Tri-Tip.

It ain't a chitty cut of meat.

If you cut strip or rib wrong they'd suck too.