Sign in to follow this  
WhtSuxH8r

Questions for Minnesotans

I'm going to be moving to the Minneapolis area in late June to start a job in Eden Prairie. Seeing as I'm from Chicago, I'm not really familiar with the area. I'm going there to start my apartment search on Easter weekend, and was just looking for some pointers. Ideally, I would like to live in an area with other recent college grads, or in a suburb with relatively easy access to the city. Any suggestions on living/bars etc.?

I already know I need a Southern view of the sky for my DIRECTV-NFL Sunday Ticket satellite!! :mad:

I also wonder what the going rate on an igloo up there is

I also wonder what the going rate on an igloo up there is
Already looked into that... little out of my price range...

I'm going to be moving to the Minneapolis area in late June to start a job in Eden Prairie. Seeing as I'm from Chicago, I'm not really familiar with the area. I'm going there to start my apartment search on Easter weekend, and was just looking for some pointers. Ideally, I would like to live in an area with other recent college grads, or in a suburb with relatively easy access to the city. Any suggestions on living/bars etc.?

I already know I need a Southern view of the sky for my DIRECTV-NFL Sunday Ticket satellite!! :mad:

Eden Prairie is a sprawling, clusterfock of a city in the 3rd ring of suburbs around Minneapolis. The traffic has been horrific because the sprawl has not been matched with improvements/enlargements of the highway system. One highway has been widened in the past year (494 is now 4 lanes) but 169 is 2 lanes, with stoplights on the southern end before it connects to the bridge over the river.

For recent college grads, I guess I'd say South Minneapolis, near the University, Hopkins, or a variety of other places. there aren't clear cut neighborhoods around here the way there are in Chicago.

Depending on your price range, if you want easy access to downtown Mpls and don't want a hellishly long commute, stick with South Minneapolis (stay south of Lake Street & west of Lyndale Ave) Hopkins, St Louis Park (The new Excelsior and Grand complex in St Louis Park seems to have a lot of younger people and is a hop - skip and a jump from Uptown.)

Igloos are pretty cheap this time of year.

There are a ton of apartments in south Minneapolis. I live just south of Lake on Lyndale and moved from Hennepin and Lake. There are a lot of recent college grads/people in their late 20s/early 30s in this area.

I moved a month ago and was looking in the Uptown, Lyn-Lake, Linden Hills and Wedge neighborhoods. I used the Star Tribune for the bulk of my search, but I also just drove around in the neighborhoods I liked. There are tons of places with signs out front. There are a bunch right around here, including in front of my fourplex.

Drop me an e-mail if you want (missjessica_18@yahoo.com). I'd be happy to help.

Loring Park is a cool neighborhood, but the parking there blows.

There are many, many cool bars up and down Hennepin and Lyndale (in the Uptown/Wedge/Lyndale neighborhoods). I'd say the stuff along Hennepin is trendier, while Lyndale haunts are a bit funkier/punkier/blue-collar.

stick with South Minneapolis (stay south of Lake Street & west of Lyndale Ave)

Poor Carrie missed that cutoff by miles :cry:

Highway to the Danger Zone

Ride into the Danger Zone

Bring your Bears parka. Minneapolis is about 25 degrees cooler than Chicago. :ninja:

sweet. another person that wont show up for a Minnesota Geek Gathering. welcome to the area. jessy and carrie are our official tour guides.

There are many, many cool bars up and down Hennepin and Lyndale (in the Uptown/Wedge/Lyndale neighborhoods). I'd say the stuff along Hennepin is trendier, while Lyndale haunts are a bit funkier/punkier/blue-collar.

You say that like CC Club is "funky." :ninja:

Guest Black Label Society

What about Bloomington?

It's a bit more suburbish, but not too far from Eden Prairie and lotsa bars, etc in the area.

Mall of America is there, along with the airport.

What about Bloomington?

It's a bit more suburbish, but not too far from Eden Prairie and lotsa bars, etc in the area.

Mall of America is there, along with the airport.

I work in Bloomington. No geeks allowed. :huh:

I've always thought of Bloomington as more of an older (middle ageish and up) more settled, and white collar community, but I guess I'm really only thinking of east Bloomington. The west side is pretty swank and more diverse in age.

Don't live by MOA though. Our office is in that vicinity, and I swear the planes are so damn loud when they're landing at MSP that sometimes I am convinced that they are going to land on the roof.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd rather eat glass from the mouth of a shark while wearing chum underwear than live in that city.

But that's just me.

You say that like CC Club is "funky." :huh:

CC Club is far more punk than funk. But it's not punk in the same way the Triple Rock is.

CC Club is far more punk than funk. But it's not punk in the same way the Triple Rock is.

When I lived at 26th and Lyndale, CC Club was far more dump than punk or funk. I guess it's changed since the mid 80s. :huh:

not to get off topic but jess, are you going to the rob zombie show at the myth next month?

When I lived at 26th and Lyndale, CC Club was far more dump than punk or funk. I guess it's changed since the mid 80s. :huh:

Oh, it's still a dump.

bammbamm, after driving out to BFE for redtodd's show and seeing just how far away the Myth is, there is little that would get me out there for a show. I guess if someone like Interpol were to play out there, I'd go, but it would have to be a band I wouldn't miss for anything in the world. I don't like the look of that place. From the outside, I guess, anyway.

I've always thought of Bloomington as more of an older (middle ageish and up) more settled, and white collar community, but I guess I'm really only thinking of east Bloomington. The west side is pretty swank and more diverse in age.

My aunt and uncle live in prestigious West Bloomington. I had no idea there was a difference until a few years ago.

Oh, it's still a dump.

bammbamm, after driving out to BFE for redtodd's show and seeing just how far away the Myth is, there is little that would get me out there for a show. I guess if someone like Interpol were to play out there, I'd go, but it would have to be a band I wouldn't miss for anything in the world. I don't like the look of that place. From the outside, I guess, anyway.

OK. I'll let you know how it was.

OK. I'll let you know how it was.

Carrie and I are going to see The Stills that night at the Varsity Theater in Dinkytown. It's moving up quickly on my favorite venues list.

I live in Whittier Neighborhood. It's listed in the Hipsters Handbook as THE hippest neighborhood in Minneapolis. Being this cool takes sacrifice.

listed in the Hipsters Handbook as THE hippest neighborhood in Minneapolis.

WOOP! WOOP!

IRONY METER ON OVERLOAD!

EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!

The Minneapolis area is a fine one. I'm a transplanted Wisconsinite who loves it.

Some say it's tough to get around, but it's OK. I set up shop in Robbinsdale (first-ring suburb) precisely so I can take all the back ways into the city. The Twin Cites are a good balance of wild child and Norman Rockwell. A little like the sweet smile of Bettie Page with a whip in her hands.

Eden Prairie is sprawl. I'd recommend living closer to the city from there like some have suggested. I'd study the map and see how I could get to work without using Hwys 100 or 169 though. 494 maybe. Busing is possible, but I don't know service in Eden Prairie.

And it's great fun to root for the nemesis in Vikings territory. I'm Packers and I assume you're Bears so have fun with it. Yeah, I never go to the geek gatherings--they're prolly weirdos anyway. I know I can be.

Yeah, I never go to the geek gatherings--they're prolly weirdos anyway.

But we're fun weirdos.

Anybody seen Carrie's hips? That's going to spot you quite a ways up the curve right there.

I appreciate everyone's help, it's invaluable. I'm gonna contact my realtor that the company gave me (in Edina) and let her know what you have suggested. I'm really looking forward to the new job and living in a new city. The cold is not a problem- not like we don't have cold weather in Chicago... And I am a Bears fan, and I am going to love every moment of cheering against the Queens!!

Oh, it's still a dump.

That's considered far? You pansy.

I'm still glad you came.