Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Zack Greinke

Spot on disabled list in question

Greinke making progress

Royals are still uncertain about his return to team

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz. — The Royals remain uncertain about the return of pitcher Zack Greinke as they prepare to break camp after today’s game against the Texas Rangers at Surprise Stadium.

Greinke, 22, left camp Feb. 25 to undergo psychological counseling near his home in Orlando, Fla.

“He’s progressing nicely at this point,” general manager Allard Baird said Wednesday. “He sounds happy, but there is still no official timetable for when he will return.”

Club officials continue to characterize Greinke’s absence as leave granted to deal with “personal matters,” but they must be more specific if they choose to place him on the disabled list before the season starts.

Major League Rule 2 (g) requires that a player be “unable to render service because of a specific injury or ailment” to be placed on the disabled list.

Several sources told The Star that Greinke recently underwent a formal psychological evaluation to determine the specific nature of his emotional issues. Those same sources said treatment through medication is likely.

The lack of a specific diagnosed injury or ailment probably would prompt the Royals to place Greinke on the restricted list.

Efforts to contact Greinke were unsuccessful.

“He seems to be doing better,” manager Buddy Bell said. “He’s beginning to talk about coming back. That’s a good sign.”

A best-case scenario now calls for Greinke to return in mid-April to extended spring training at the club’s year-round complex in Surprise. He is likely to spend roughly a month in training before starting a rehab pitching assignment in the minors that can last up to 30 days.

That would put him on pace to return to the rotation in June.

“I’m very optimistic that we’ll know something soon,” Baird said. “When he does come back, it will be like spring training for him.

“He’ll need time to build his stamina and his pitch count to the point where he is ready to return to game action.”

So are we making our bet or what? I'm giving you 15 games

So are we making our bet or what? I'm giving you 15 games

youre giving me 15 games? :cry:

yes, we are doing the bet. I tried to check on sending you some local beer, but they told me its illegal to ship outside of missouri.

You could always drive down to missouri the next year and I could pick up tix for you and the mrs. to catch a tigers game at the K with me and the mrs. :cry: