Sign in to follow this  
George Carlin

HD TV gurus

What do you think?

50" Plasma Screen

Up to 2,048 shades of gradation (4,096 shades via HDMI or DVI connection) - New Advanced Real Gamma System and up to 14-bit signal processing provide superior performance at brightness levels where the human eye sees best

Full time 3.62 billion (maximum 8.52 billion) displayable colors

Up to 15% brighter images

Up to 60,000-hour panel life

Flexible A/V and IT system configurations

Adaptive Gain Control

Motion Picture Noise Disturbance Reduction

3D Color Management System

Active Interlace/Progressive Conversion System

New Advanced Dual Picture Mode

4x Digital Zoom

Built-In Video Wall Processor

New Remote System Monitoring Command

Enhanced Screen Saver Functions

Newly developed phosphor boosts resistance to static-image burning to the same level as CRT displays

Energy-Saving Functions

New IR Remote Control features direct input select buttons, a Power Off button, and ID control of multi-screen systems

New bottom-mounted button controls

Host of stands and mounting options available

Networked MPEG-2 player available

Plug-in computers available

* Speaker not included

Unless it's free you're not getting it. So why torture yourself?

Unless it's free you're not getting it. So why torture yourself?

:huh:

After I get it, i'll be sure to take some nice pictures and post them for you.

So anyway. About the tv, like it?

I have this EXACT display. Got it about 2 months ago from VisualApex.com. I couldn't be happier with it, it it amazing.

Things you may also consider buying if/when you get it:

DVI input board

DVI or component video cables

stand or wall mount

also keep in mind that this is a DISPLAY, not a television, so you will have to have a seperate audio system.

I can't even tell you how great HD looks on this thing, and although I've heard SDTV sucks on it, I completely challenge that - I think it looks great.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding it, I did a crapload of research before I decided to get that panel.

I have this EXACT display. Got it about 2 months ago from VisualApex.com. I couldn't be happier with it, it it amazing.

Things you may also consider buying if/when you get it:

DVI input board

DVI or component video cables

stand or wall mount

also keep in mind that this is a DISPLAY, not a television, so you will have to have a seperate audio system.

I can't even tell you how great HD looks on this thing, and although I've heard SDTV sucks on it, I completely challenge that - I think it looks great.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding it, I did a crapload of research before I decided to get that panel.

Awesome thanks.

is 3k with 99 for shipping a good price?

:rolleyes:

After I get it, i'll be sure to take some nice pictures and post them for you.

So anyway. About the tv, like it?

Maybe I can come over and watch the Sawxs. We could be best friends :highfive:

Awesome thanks.

is 3k with 99 for shipping a good price?

hell yeah, that's a great price. Mine was $2964, but like 300 for shipping I think. I also got:

an extended 2 year warranty (on top of the manufacturers 1 year)

a table top swivel stand so I can rotate it towards my kitchen

the DVI input board (before I realized my receiver can't upconvert video signals :rolleyes: )

component video cables (after realizing the above mistake :banana: )

also, I would suggest having someone else with you to unpack and set it up. It's pretty heavy when you are trying to carefully slip it on a stand, and you don't want that sucker slipping or getting too heavy and dropping it.

As for the DVI board, mine look sgreat without it using the component cables

OH - also, visual apex included adapters to use regular copmonent cables with the componet inputs on the display - I think they use some weird locking BCI or BCM or something plugs so DEFINITELY CHECK THAT if you plan to use the component video. i would also check if you are using just a standard video cable just to be sure.

hell yeah, that's a great price. Mine was $2964, but like 300 for shipping I think. I also got:

an extended 2 year warranty (on top of the manufacturers 1 year)

a table top swivel stand so I can rotate it towards my kitchen

the DVI input board (before I realized my receiver can't upconvert video signals :rolleyes: )

component video cables (after realizing the above mistake :banana: )

also, I would suggest having someone else with you to unpack and set it up. It's pretty heavy when you are trying to carefully slip it on a stand, and you don't want that sucker slipping or getting too heavy and dropping it.

As for the DVI board, mine look sgreat without it using the component cables

OH - also, visual apex included adapters to use regular copmonent cables with the componet inputs on the display - I think they use some weird locking BCI or BCM or something plugs so DEFINITELY CHECK THAT if you plan to use the component video. i would also check if you are using just a standard video cable just to be sure.

Thanks for all the 411.

I think i'm going to just get the TV, with the extended warranty. Then buy everything as needed. I already have a pretty decent sound system, I might get a new one. I know the tv comes with no stand, so of course a stand too.

Check this out TV

Can't you get it at a store and thus avoid paying for shipping?

:rolleyes:

nope - this is a commercial display, not a consumer television. No brick & mortar stores will have it.

and also, the money you save on taxes more than makes up for the shipping price, especially in this case.

My how plasma TV prices have fallen. Glad to see these things are reasonable now. :thumbsup:

I assume all the old rumors that plasma screens burning out and all that nonsense have jumped onto a ship that's sailed?

I bought an HD projection TV years ago, so I haven't been in the market for a while. What's the pinnacle of HDTVs, something like this?

Check this out TV

Little did poor Tarver know that when he was smoked by UNC that fateful game, he would be cast in immortality across TV ads all over the place.

My how plasma TV prices have fallen. Glad to see these things are reasonable now. :thumbsup:

I assume all the old rumors that plasma screens burning out and all that nonsense have jumped onto a ship that's sailed?

I bought an HD projection TV years ago, so I haven't been in the market for a while. What's the pinnacle of HDTVs, something like this?

Little did poor Tarver know that when he was smoked by UNC that fateful game, he would be cast in immortality across TV ads all over the place.

They still say the bulb is guaranteed to burn out after 3 years or so depending on how much it is used. it's about 400 to replace now, so i'm sure it will be much cheaper in 3 years

It mentions HDMI, but there's no HDMI connector listed iin the Connections section.

What's the deal with that?

It mentions HDMI, but there's no HDMI connector listed iin the Connections section.

What's the deal with that?

As I mentioned above, you have to purchase a seperate input card to accept a DVI/HDMI signal. It's like installing a printer port on a computer. The display comes with I think 2 empty expansion bays.

As I mentioned above, you have to purchase a seperate input card to accept a DVI/HDMI signal. It's like installing a printer port on a computer. The display comes with I think 2 empty expansion bays.

Love it. Can I buy a car with no wheels while I'm at it? :mellow:

What is HDMI, please learn me

Love it. Can I buy a car with no wheels while I'm at it? :blink:

You'd have to get your license 1st :mellow:

What is HDMI, please learn me

You'd have to get your license 1st :nono:

It's basically one cable that sends both a HD video signal AND digital audio signal at once. DVI is the same thing minus the audio signal.

for video quality:

HDMI/DVI > component video > S-video > regular video

in order to use DVI/HDMI though you have to send a DVI/HDMI quality signal unless you have an upconverting receiver (there are VERY FEW that currently upconvert to HDMI/DVI). Or you need to either pass the HDMI/DVI signal directly from your source (cable box, XBox 360, DVD player etc) to your display, or have a passive receiver with a DVI/HDMI in and out that will take in and send the signal to your display along with whatever other components you have plugged into it.

Maybe you can get a scooter with no chain?

It doesn't have a chain. It uses a toothed rubber belt.

You're just battin' a friggin thousand today, Ty. :nono:

It's basically one cable that sends both a HD video signal AND digital audio signal at once. DVI is the same thing minus the audio signal.

for video quality:

HDMI/DVI > component video > S-video > regular video

in order to use DVI/HDMI though you have to send a DVI/HDMI quality signal unless you have an upconverting receiver (there are VERY FEW that currently upconvert to HDMI/DVI). Or you need to either pass the HDMI/DVI signal directly from your source (cable box, XBox 360, DVD player etc) to your display, or have a passive receiver with a DVI/HDMI in and out that will take in and send the signal to your display along with whatever other components you have plugged into it.

I have Dish Network. All I need to get is the HD receiver right?

It doesn't have a chain. It uses a toothed rubber belt.

You're just battin' a friggin thousand today, Ty. :lol:

:nono:

I still :wub: you

:nono:

I still :lol: you

Just make sure the receiver can:

- decode the required signals (Dolby Digital etc)

- have the correct number and type of inputs and outputs to receive and send the dedcoded signals.

You may need a new dish as well.

I know that the round dual LNB dish I have won't work with DirectTV HDTV. You have to get the oval three-satellite dish.

DISH may be different.

CNET Review

The good: Relatively inexpensive; excellent black-level performance; accurate color decoding; solid video processing with 2:3 pull-down; independent memory per input; versatile PIP function; extensive picture adjustments; customizable inputs.

The bad: Does not include a stand, a tuner, or speakers; sparse input selection; doesn't include a digital input; cannot change aspect ratios with HDTV sources; floats blacks.

The bottom line: Although it's missing a couple of inputs, the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK surpasses any 50-inch plasma we've reviewed in terms of image quality and overall value.

So you'll be getting an XBox 360 then? :nono:

if i spend 4 grand on a tv, i'm not sure i can justify 500 on an xbox 360 with perefs. Maybe I'll wait for PS3

if i spend 4 grand on a tv, i'm not sure i can justify 500 on an xbox 360 with perefs. Maybe I'll wait for PS3

PS3 is for guys with very small peenis.

Before you go and throw away your 13" black & white set, you have to come to grips with the fact that no one is going to invite you inside their house, much less long enough for you to steal a TV. And you can't afford the increase in your electric bill.

Before you go and throw away your 13" black & white set, you have to come to grips with the fact that no one is going to invite you inside their house, much less long enough for you to steal a TV. And you can't afford the increase in your electric bill.

If you saw my electric bill you'd sh!t and there are only 2 of us.

If you saw my electric bill you'd sh!t and there are only 2 of us.

Can you send me a copy in case I ever get 'backed up'? I hate suppositories.

I just purchased and installed the 42 inch version of this TV, love it! Just didn't have the room to go for the 50"

:thumbsup: