Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

DeLay will not seek re-election!

DeLay Won’t Seek Re-election

Monday, April 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Texas), the former House Majority Leader, has decided that he will not seek re-election to Congress.

Word about DeLay's decision first began to circulate Monday night, and DeLay then reportedly confirmed his decision to talk show host Chris Matthews of MSNBC.

Time magazine reported in an interview posted Monday night that DeLay would announce his decision on Tuesday and leave the House by the end of May. In the interview, DeLay said recent polling by his campaign gave him only a "50-50" shot of being re-elected.

"I feel that I could have won the race. I just felt like I didn't want to risk the seat and that I can do more on the outside of the House than I can on the inside right now. I want to continue to fight for the conservative cause. I want to continue to work for a Republican majority," DeLay told Time.

DeLay has denied any wrongdoing, but he was indicted in Texas last year on felony campaign finance violations, and a Justice Department corruption probe has continued to creep closer to DeLay. A former top DeLay aide pleaded guilty on Friday to federal corruption charges.

— John Bresnahan

looks like the Dems got what they wanted all along.

Not until that scumbag is sitting in Prison. Oh, and Blunt may be his cellmate at some point.

We're getting a crook out of Congress. That should be something every American wants.

I want there to be 2 threads for every topic.

the other thread misrepresented the facts :ninja:

the other thread misrepresented the facts :mad:

And everybody knows that's chad's job! :ninja:

the other thread misrepresented the facts :ninja:

In a videotaped message aired this morning on stations in his home district, DeLay said that "the voters in the 22nd District of Texas deserve a campaign about the vital national issues they care most about . . . and not a campaign focused solely as a referendum on me. So today I am announcing my intention to resign my seat in the House."

I'm guessing this means he will not be finishing the current Congressional term? When does the term end? Delay is reportedly resigning next month or perhaps in June.