Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Agreement reached on Immigration

11:30 Eastern-

CNBC reports an deal has been reached on immigration reform. Senate leaders announce deal on Immigration reform. Deal called "Hugh Breakthrough"

The President will make an announcement at 12:30 Eastern.

Details?

they're going to be deporting anyone and everyone here illegally and make them apply legally to re-enter.

they're going to be deporting anyone and everyone here illegally and make them apply legally to re-enter.

There's some 3 tired plan- I didn't catch the details.

Here less than 2 years- get sent home

Here 2 to 5 years- get sent home- but?

Here over 5 years- ?

So if someone comes here illegally, how the hell does anyone know when they arrived?

WHO'S GOING TO MOW MY LAWN!!!! :clap: :lol: :mad:

:clap:

I hope that's it.

There's some 3 tired plan- I didn't catch the details.

Here less than 2 years- get sent home

Here 2 to 5 years- get sent home- but?

Here over 5 years- ?

So if someone comes here illegally, how the hell does anyone know when they arrived?

it'll be the responsibility of the illegals to prove they were here, whether it be paid bills or taxes or whatnot, I'm sure.

Somehow, I don't think any of them were paying income taxes.

Which brings to question, if we do let them stay, should they pay back taxes? They certainly owe it.

The President is traveling, but will make an announcement at 12:30.

They had Senators lined up making comments about the "agreement"

Kennedy was talking about slavery and the about the treatment of "coolies", I'm not sure what he was trying to say?

Somehow, I don't think any of them were paying income taxes.

Which brings to question, if we do let them stay, should they pay back taxes? They certainly owe it.

i bet more do than you think. It used to be that they would all be paid under the table (im sure a lot still are), but now it seems the employers are asking them to get a SS #, they do and they then get a check and pay their taxes each paycheck. Now whether the SS# and ID they use to cash the check is legit, well that's another issue in and of itself.

Senate Strikes Deal on Immigration

Thursday, April 6

By Erin P. Billings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republican and Democratic Senators on Thursday proclaimed cautious victory in their efforts to pass a bipartisan immigration reform measure, with hopes of moving legislation through the chamber by week’s end.

Senators had been deadlocked on the issue for days, holing up in leadership offices and holding meetings to try to come up with a deal around which most Members could rally. The gridlock appeared to break late Wednesday when Sens. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) announced a compromise plan.

Sources indicated the Hagel-Martinez proposal, which divides illegal immigrants into three classes, would likely be offered as a motion to recommit on the floor as early as today. Senators would have the chance to offer amendments to the plan, and a vote on final passage could occur Friday or Saturday.

Under the Hagel-Martinez plan, those in the United States for two or fewer years would need to either leave or be deported; those here between two and five years would be required to register with the government and then over the next three years be admitted to the country legally as temporary workers; and those in the country for five years could enter the guest worker visa system.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) called the deal “a huge breakthrough that will allow us to pivot in the next several hours and lead to a conclusion of passing a very important bill.”

Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said while he still has concerns — including that some Republicans will offer deal-breaking amendments — the Senate is moving forward. “I wouldn’t declare victory, but we’ve moved a long way down the road.”

The President is traveling, but will make an announcement at 12:30.

They had Senators lined up making comments about the "agreement"

Kennedy was talking about slavery and the about the treatment of "coolies", I'm not sure what he was trying to say?

Was he drunk?

This whole thing is a load of crap.

If you are here illegally, get out and reapply to come to this country legally.

This whole thing is a load of crap.

If you are here illegally, get out and reapply to come to this country legally.

Wow, that means pilgrims and millions and millions of other dead people are going to have to apply? Can't wait to those highlights on CNN.

Wow, that means pilgrims and millions and millions of other dead people are going to have to apply? Can't wait to those highlights on CNN.

The Pilgrims came legally. Bought the land fair and square with beads and firewater.

Shut up.

Right. So it's now illegal for all those people who were here illegally yesterday to be here.

This should produce some big changes. :first: