Sign in to follow this  
BattyRidas

Defense Scoring

What do you all think about the defensive scoring last year? I thought the defensive scoring was so low that it really didn't play a part in the outcome of the matches.

Here's the current defensive scoring format:

Def. TD -- 6 pts.
Safety -- 2 pts.
Shutout -- 10 Pts.
1-6 Allowed -- 7 pts.
7-13 Allowed -- 4 pts.
14-20 Allowed -- 1 pt.
21-27 Allowed -- 0 pts.
28-34 Allowed -- -2 pt.
35+ Allowed -- -4 pts.

What about adding things like Sacks, Interceptions and Fumble Recoveries? It would increase defensive scoring, and make defenses more important.

I'm against it for one reason, we didnt draft according to these stats. I really don't think defense should have a huge impact on the outcome but if we get a lot support for it I wouldn't stand in the way. We'll see how it goes.

Hagy, I'd agree with you on altering the way we drafted if this was an IDP league, but with team defense it's not as big a deal. The top defenses change year after year what with the player turnover so I doubt they'll significantly alter the way people see them. Offense is still and always going to be the most important part of our league. What I didn't like was how easy it was for a defense to get negative points, and in most cases you were lucky to break even. If they're going to score consistantly like that what's the point of having one?

Hagy, I'd agree with you on altering the way we drafted if this was an IDP league, but with team defense it's not as big a deal. The top defenses change year after year what with the player turnover so I doubt they'll significantly alter the way people see them. Offense is still and always going to be the most important part of our league. What I didn't like was how easy it was for a defense to get negative points, and in most cases you were lucky to break even. If they're going to score consistantly like that what's the point of having one?

Good posting.

I thought it was bad that a couple of owners decided not to field a defense last year.

I also agree, that adding sacks, interceptions, and fumble recoveries, isn't going to drastically make Defense a difference maker. If anything it will just give the good defenses a couple of extra points. Each year there always seems to be a surprise defense that does well. For instance, Indy had one of the worst defenses in the league, and improved last year.

Right now the best defense averages like 5 points a game, while most average 2 or 3. If we add a scoring for sacks, interceptions and fumble recoveries, the best defenses will probably average like 10 points a game, while the average ones will probably be around 8 points a game. Either way offense will still dominate the scoring.

I vote for sacks ect.... ;)

Ditto. I would be for adding something for defense. This works for me.

Looks like we have 5 for a defense scoring change and 1 against it. Obviously, it would be nice to hear from everyone in the league on this issue. So if you haven't posted your opinion on the defense scoring, please do.

What do you all think about the defensive scoring last year? I thought the defensive scoring was so low that it really didn't play a part in the outcome of the matches.

Here's the current defensive scoring format:

Def. TD -- 6 pts.
Safety -- 2 pts.
Shutout -- 10 Pts.
1-6 Allowed -- 7 pts.
7-13 Allowed -- 4 pts.
14-20 Allowed -- 1 pt.
21-27 Allowed -- 0 pts.
28-34 Allowed -- -2 pt.
35+ Allowed -- -4 pts.

What about adding things like Sacks, Interceptions and Fumble Recoveries? It would increase defensive scoring, and make defenses more important.

Your right.. Of course defenses were useless.. Im new to this league but I have been playing Fantasy football for 12 years.. I think we should have a point for Sacks, point for Interceptions and 2 points for Fumble Recoveries..... Every other League I was involved in has that set up or somethin close to that.... Somethin please Defenses are useless in this scoring system unless your team gets a shutout lol and that happens often in this day of OFFENSES lol... ya so I definately vote to make a little change...

IT will be changed. I will update the rules once the Yahoo league site gets set up.