Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Best college team that DIDN'T win?

Yeah ..... the baseball player. He was a guard, for Arizona ... back in the day. There's a good trivia question answer ... Kenny Lofton was a star BASKETBALL player at Arizona. Was not on the baseball team.

Houston-Akeem & Drexler

Georgetown-Ewing

Michigan-Webber, Howard, Rose

Just off the top of my head.

ETA-G'town in '85 vs Villanova

All good calls. But Arizona was supposed to win it all in 1989, and the Arizona Football team (see: Teddy Bruschi) was also pre season, SI #1 like 1990. SI cover curse.

Arizona wasn't supposed to win in 97. THE team was 1989, Steve Kerr, Sean Elliot, Anthony Cook, Kenny Lofton .... enter Santa Clara.

The 1991 UNLV team. They had won the championship in 1990 and they were undefeatored (34-0) until losing in the 1991 semis to Duke by 2 points.

Tark

Larry Johnson

Greg Anthony

Stacey Augmon

George Ackles

Anderson Hunt

From an article I dug up....

UNLV finished the season fourth in the nation in scoring (97.7 per game), first in field-goal percentage (.535) and fourth in rebounding margin (+7.7).

winning games by an average margin of 26.7 points (Mountain West though...but they beat MSU, #2 Arkansas, and Louisville on the road.

They won every regular-season game by 12 points or more.

1984 North Carolina

Michael Jordan

Sam Perkins

Brad Daugherty

Kenny Smith

Matt Doherty

Kenny Smith got injured going in for a layup on a very hard foul by somebody from LSU late in the season & wasn't the same the rest of the year.

rock chalk, b!tch

Kenny Lofton was a star BASKETBALL player at Arizona. Was not on the baseball team.

Wrong yet again. Lofton also played baseball at Arizona.

Whatever .... he was known as a basketball player in college. Coulda been a pro guard. Decided to play pro baseball ... and steal bases .... and the rest is history.

Whatever .... he was known as a basketball player in college. Coulda been a pro guard. Decided to play pro baseball ... and steal bases .... and the rest is history.

whatever, its just an error. who gives a crap about the truth. Of course he was known as a basketball player. College Basketball is way bigger than college baseball. Just get your facts straight when you try and act like mr know it all.

Well, I saw him and Elliot and Kerr play, in McKale ... I remember when McKale ws built. The house I grew up in is 3 blocks away. Sorry .... I don't remember him playing baseball at all. I haven't even asked you to provide a link .... but Kenny Lofton could have been on the Wildcats baseball team at some point. I won't dispute that ... but he was/is not only a record base stealer in the major leagues, he's also a really talented basketball player. Coulda gone pro.

Well, I saw him and Elliot and Kerr play, in McKale ... I remember when McKale ws built. The house I grew up in is 3 blocks away. Sorry .... I don't remember him playing baseball at all. I haven't even asked you to provide a link .... but Kenny Lofton could have been on the Wildcats baseball team at some point. I won't dispute that ... but he was/is not only a record base stealer in the major leagues, he's also a really talented basketball player. Coulda gone pro.

Kenneth Lofton...Single...1985 graduate of Washington High School (East Chicago, IN)...Attended the University of Arizona, where he played baseball and basketball...Was the sixth man on the 1988 squad that reached the NCAA Final Four (lost to Oklahoma, 86-78)...Was the starting point guard on the 1989 team that was ranked No. 1 in the country at one point during the season and entered the NCAA Tournament as a No. 1 seed (lost to UNLV in the Regional Semifinals)...Averaged 4.8 points, 1.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.6 steals per game over his career...Was a college teammate of former NBA players Sean Elliott and Steve Kerr...Left as the Wildcats' singleseason (67 in 1988-89) and career (200 from 1985-89) leader in steals...Did not play baseball until his junior year, when he appeared in just 5 games...Donated money to refurbish the Indiana Harbor Little League baseball field in his hometown of East Chicago, IN

Link

Georgia Tech had some really good squads in the mid-to-late 80s that could have won it all...

The 1991 UNLV team. They had won the championship in 1990 and they were undefeatored (34-0) until losing in the 1991 semis to Duke by 2 points.

Tark

Larry Johnson

Greg Anthony

Stacey Augmon

George Ackles

Anderson Hunt

From an article I dug up....

UNLV finished the season fourth in the nation in scoring (97.7 per game), first in field-goal percentage (.535) and fourth in rebounding margin (+7.7).

winning games by an average margin of 26.7 points (Mountain West though...but they beat MSU, #2 Arkansas, and Louisville on the road.

They won every regular-season game by 12 points or more.

I agree. i thought that UNLV team was a lock for back to back titles. probably the best college team i've ever seen. they used to destroy teams.

1988-89 WVU football team...

was that the Major Harris team?

what ever happened to Major Harris?

was that the Major Harris team?

what ever happened to Major Harris?

Yep.

He was dumb as dirt and couldn't make it in the CFL.

He coached an Indoor Football League team in Wheeling, WV for a couple of year but then got let go.

Have no clue where he is now.

UNLV 91 ! easyily the greatest team not to win it all..

They destroyed every team they faced ! They played in the then West Coast conference ( I think ) with Utah as the only real conference competion but they destroyed Arkansas ,

SU and UL as well. Thye were a machine that honeslty could onlt beat themselves and thats what happened. UNLV went inot the tournament over confident and it showed in almost every game they played in that torunament - I lived in Vegas at the time and everyone was planning the after party and so forth but i was sketptical seeing them struggle against Georgetown ( all be it GT had Mourning and Mutumbo then ) .

1984 North Carolina

Michael Jordan

Sam Perkins

Brad Daugherty

Kenny Smith

Matt Doherty

Kenny Smith got injured going in for a layup on a very hard foul by somebody from LSU late in the season & wasn't the same the rest of the year.

And who beat that team of NC in '84? Indiana baby! :wall: Incidentally IU lost (unbeaten at the time) in '75 in the Reg Finals to Kentucky. One of their best players at the time (Scott May) broke a bone and was unable to go. Bob Knight still says that team was better than the one that went undefeated the following year.

99 Duke team that lost to UCONN in the final was loaded w/ talent: Elton Brand, William Avery, Trajan Langdon, Shane Battier, Corey Maggette, Carrawell

rock chalk, b!tch

please explain that chant..im clueless to what it means :mad:

oh, and a vote for the 1999-00 wisconsin hockey team that featured dany heatley steve reinprecht, brad winchester, alex brooks etc :argue: ....

tonight can erase THAT memory..#6..break the tie that we have with minny...

whatever, its just an error. who gives a crap about the truth. Of course he was known as a basketball player. College Basketball is way bigger than college baseball. Just get your facts straight when you try and act like mr know it all.

kenny lofton WOULD be a great trivia question..except for the fact that EVERYONE knows that he played hoops..i dont follow hoops and EVEN I knew that....

there were quite a few 2 sport players in college...

todd helton, frank thomas, bo jackson etc...

1991- UNLV; 1983- Houston

Both of these were the best non-champion teams I've ever seen.

Last year's Illinois team wasn't too shabby, either.