Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Football card collectors

Any collectors here?

If one were to start collecting cards, what brands/manufacturers would be the right ones to buy? Seems like there are 100 different boxes!

If it is for any reason besides entertainment/hobby value whatsoever, just stop. The card market has bottomed out over the past ten years as profit and collectibles became the priority. Now there are countless companies making innumerable sets of untold brands, each with dozens of subsets, inserts, holographs, that are eash rarer than the last. A couple years ago, Upper Deck released a limited run set of basketball cards with packs running $500 for 2 cards. The hobby has been raped, dismembered, defecated on, and buried upside down.

if you are looking to start small....

i may suggest looking into a set of upper deck rookie premiere cards...they come in their own small rectangular box and can be found at kmart, target etc....

it is roughly 30 cards...all the top rookies..1 card is a parallel version..which means its a variable..it may be a gold version or a signed card(though they are 1 in 20 boxes)..no other inserts..just the basics..

its about $15...a good way to get all of the rookies..

Topps are nice crisp cards..as are upper deck..but only buy sealed boxes..youll get the inserts and the sets are bigger..

if you go to a target and buy single packs, youll get screwed...loser collectors have fingered the packs more often than a stripper at CMHs bachelor party..

ZeroTolerance speaks the truth. If you want the fun of compiling a set, go for the "cheap" (less expensive) brands. DO NOT buy cards with the expectation they will be worth $$ in the future. You can buy cards from the 1990's for dirt cheap from anyone, check out eBay.

Last season I purchased a few packs of NFL cards just for kicks. As a previous poster said before there really isn't any use in collecting cards other than for personal amusment. Around 10-12 years ago I would buy cards like a fiend. Now card collecting is virtually extinct. I'm currently moving and was looking over my old cards as I packed them. Found my small collection of Marshall Faulk and Jim Harbaugh cards. Card collecting used to be a lot of fun. Too bad it's an ancient practice now.

is it really NO fun anymore?...

i buy packs for my lil cousins all of the time..

topps has code cards for online fantasy baseball..so we ae in a league with that...

plus we have a bunch of team addresses...we take cards and "draft guys" from the pile that we need...and we send them to the players in the mail..the lil ones get a kick out of signed cards that they get..

jeff francoeur...ryan howard...it took no time and its pretty cheap..74 cents is cheap for a possible signed card...

yeah, there are greedy people in all places...card places only worry about glam cards..the good basic cards can be had for pennies...if a penny card doesnt come back signed..who cares?..my cousin wasnt honestly sure who russ adams was before mailing a card to him, but now hes checking the boxscores to see what he did..baseball has that effect on young ones sometime...have to make kids fans somehow... :banana:

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually liking the idea of cards simply as a way of preserving the history of the league that I love so much in the moment, but which I'll forget as years pass. There are always players who flash for a year or two or maybe even a few years and then fade away just as quickly. I see cards as a way of remembering all that...Brett Perriman...Icky Woods...Eric Metcalf...Bert Emanuel...Bryce Paup...Bobby Hebert...Errict Rhett

These kinds of guys.