Sign in to follow this  
George Carlin

Have you seen Brokeback mountain? If not will you see it?

Brokeback mountain  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seen Brokeback mountain? If not will you see it?

• Yes
    • No, and I never will
    • No, but I will eventually
    • No, but I could be convinced in the future

Fine gay cowboys don't interest you, they don't interest me either, but that won't stop me from watching the movie.

then what's the point? will you feel more socially tolerant afterwards? or maybe you're watching to see if "it "moves...you know, so you'll know if you're really ghey....NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

You're a homophobe if you don't want to see it. :lol:

And you're gay if you do. :(

:lol:

Telling someone they are gay for seeing a love story about 2 men is what makes you homophonic.

Not wanting to see said movie, because you don't like gay men is fine, that's your opinion.

then what's the point? will you feel more socially tolerant afterwards? or maybe you're watching to see if "it "moves...you know, so you'll know if you're really ghey....NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Why do I want to see it?

1) so I can discuss it intelligently with other people that have seen it.

2) I know it's not really 2 gay cowboys, it's just actors acting.

3) I'm a f@g, I like love stories. :first:

Yes I'd rather watch it at home... I hardly ever... waste ... Fine gay cowboys ... they interest me.

:(

thanks for proving my point. :(

actually, you proved mine...you couldn't give a single reason why a straight guy would want to watch a movie about gay cowboys.

I haven't seen it but I probably will eventually...

I usually try to watch all the films that get nominated for Best Picture, but I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain or Good Night and Good Luck yet. Sometimes the films that get nominated prove to be good...sometimes they prove to be pretty crappy (and leave you wondering: "How did this get nominated?")...

Personally, right now, I'd have them ranked:

1) Capote

2) Walk the Line (distant 2nd)

3) Crash (way, WAY overrated IMO...honestly, I can't believe it won...)

Honestly...I'd have to say that the two best movies of this year (IMO) aren't even on this list: The Constant Gardener (which had superb acting, an interesting story, incredible directing, etc.) and Paradise Now (a foreign film about suicide bombers that is one of the most intriguing and thought-provoking films I've ever seen...plus, an ending that left everyone in the audience quiet and sitting in their seats throughout the entire credits).

actually, you proved mine...you couldn't give a single reason why a straight guy would want to watch a movie about gay cowboys.

The same exact reasons a straight man would want to see any movie.

Unless that reason is hot lesbian sex.

HTH

2) I know it's not really 2 gay cowboys, it's just actors acting.

So if it were two actual gay cowboys, you wouldn't be interested? This makes you a homophobe. HTH.

The same exact reasons a straight man would want to see any movie.

HTH

:( yeah, i guess you still can't think of any.

So if it were two actual gay cowboys, you wouldn't be interested? This makes you a homophobe. HTH.

Way to put words in my mouth. :(

:lol: yeah, i guess you still can't think of any.

I gave you all you needed to know, if you can't think of a reason you'd want to see a movie, that's your thing not mine.

Personally, right now, I'd have them ranked:

1) Capote

2) Walk the Line (distant 2nd)

3) Crash (way, WAY overrated IMO...honestly, I can't believe it won...)

I concur with your rankings. Capote was stellar, and Walk the Line was fairly excellent.

I thought Crash was a totally contrived piece of crap.

I also haven't seen the other two, but look forward to seeing them both, esp. Good Nite & Good Luck.

Kidding, aside. I agree with George that it is a very well-known film. I'd watch a little if I flipped past it for that reason alone.

How do you make a love story movie even worse? ....they're dudes. :shocking:

Way to put words in my mouth. :shocking:

Were you not b!tching about how they should take the f@g off Surreal Life the other day?

I gave you all you needed to know, if you can't think of a reason you'd want to see a movie, that's your thing not mine.

you're #1 reason was " i want to be about discuss it intelligently". even though you're not interested in the central theme of the movie. :shocking:

Way to put words in my mouth. :shocking:

Wait.... arn't you Edjr? From what you've said before, no one has to force you to put things in your mouth... and ass.

So shaddap, get off your big gay horse, and stop spouting your gaycoat propaganda. :wacko:

Were you not b!tching about how they should take the f@g off Surreal Life the other day?

Not because he's a f@g, because he is an embarrassment to society and horrible to look at. if he were a normal f@g I wouldn't care. Biggest drama queer ever, bugs the hell out of me.

Wait.... arn't you Edjr? From what you've said before, no one has to force you to put things in your mouth... and ass.

So shaddap, get off your big gay horse, and stop spouting your gaycoat propaganda. :shocking:

after that weekend we spent together, you think you'd know me better than that.

you're #1 reason was " i want to be about discuss it intelligently". even though you're not interested in the central theme of the movie. :wacko:

Central theme = love story about 2 people that can't be together because of how society would perceive them.

My husband didn't want to see this in the theater, though I don't know why. He's not homophobic, and has more gay friends than I do, LOL.

That said, it is a LOVE story, just like everyone has said. Jake Gyllenhall's character is clearly gay to begin with, Heath Ledgers character isn't - at the start of the movie he's planning on getting married to Michelle Williams. There are a few scenes that you question Heath Ledger's character's "gayness" and such...he marries, has children...

That said, someone on the curly board pointed out that the movie has a few different points - "gay" being an action (Heath Ledger) and "gay" being an identity (Jake Gyllenhall). Jake's actions show that he's had other experiences in the past, and that he wants to settle down with a man. The movie also brings up prejudices against gays, and how it's "taboo" and all of that.

I agree with Badmojo that it was a pretty good movie, but not GREAT. I think that the scenery was beautiful, and the acting was pretty great too.

Other notes:

We also saw CRASH this weekend, and it was pretty highly overrated. Good movie, but I can't see why it got best picture. We saw THE CONSTANT GARDNER a few weeks ago, VERY boring movie. Good acting, but BORING. We rented MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA but did't get a chance to watch it yet...

And, as someone else noted, we tend to rent the movies that get nominated for Best Picture, or the ones that may not get Best Pic, but get a TON of awards.

Not because he's a f@g, because he is an embarrassment to society and horrible to look at.

So basically you're saying you're just as judgmental and prejudiced as anyone else. Glad we got that settled.

Central theme = love story about 2 people that can't be together because of how society would perceive them.

yeah, like it's possible to seperate that from gay cowboy angle. which you're not interested in. :shocking:

I concur with your rankings. Capote was stellar, and Walk the Line was fairly excellent.

I thought Crash was a totally contrived piece of crap.

I also haven't seen the other two, but look forward to seeing them both, esp. Good Nite & Good Luck.

I thought the acting was good in Walk the Line; however, I'm not a big fan of bio-pics in general...they all seem to take a similar formula. Sorta like Jon Stewart said, Walk the Line was this year's remake of Ray...with white people.

Capote is a little different than your typical bio-pic in that it only focuses on a brief section of his life (i.e. the research/writing of In Cold Blood). That limited focus is why I think it suceeds as a film whereas Walk the Line had me a little bored.

Yep...good to hear from others that Crash wasn't that good. It seems like everyone I know that has seen it LOVES it. While there were storylines that I liked and some of the acting was good (particularly Matt Dillon, who did a really good job), I thought that the characters/storylines were TOO interwoven, that the dialogue was too preachy (in the sense that EVERY conversation somehow came back to race/ethnicity), and that the film ultimately propagated racial stereotypes rather than challenged them. I think the film ultimately tries is too ambitious and could've been better with a little more exercised control over the story. All-in-all, a VERY overrated and easily forgettable film...