Sign in to follow this  
TommyGavin

help with home network

I just got a new laptop and want to be able to network w/ my desktop - you know file sharing. Anyway I go throught the process and it seems ok (although one the steps was make a network disk and I do not have a 3 1/2" drive on either computer - but one option is no to make disk - which I choose).

any way both are designated to "share" but I cannot locate either one of them on the opposite one.

ideas ?

Did you give the workgroup a name when you went through the "process"? Do that and reboot each computer. Turn off any firewalls that are running until you can get the computers to see each other.

Try typing the IP address of the desktop in a explorer window of the laptop. This wold tell you if you can see the desktop. You could also try typing in the router IP address from the laptop. If you can see it, you are networked. Sometimes Windows takes a little while before the network neighborhood is updatored.

blah blah blah blah blah.

GIMMIE MONEY!!

for being a no help buttplug tool ?

and for the rest of you, thanks I'll try when I get home. I have both connected to router (tried the laptop both wireless and wired) named the workgroup the same name, each device it's own name.

Workgroup and easy name to remember

EdjrButtplug

:thumbsup:

Thanks again I'll try again later

When you established them to "share" did you modify the C drive to share specific directories, or just the entire drive? Further, do you know what you named the share.

For instance. If I created a directory under the root of C: called SHARE, and adjusted its properties to be a shared resource... Lets assume your computers name is MUA

I would access it like this...

Go to Start, Run and type \\MUA\SHARED and hit OK, it should open the folder