Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

Guitar players - help with pinch harmonic

I've read you pick using your pick and part of your thumb and it just does it, but I can't get it to work...

Any tips? Should I try picking different parts of the string? Different techniques? Shut up and keep practicing it until I figure it out?

I've read you pick using your pick and part of your thumb and it just does it, but I can't get it to work...

Any tips? Should I try picking different parts of the string? Different techniques? Shut up and keep practicing it until I figure it out?

For basic harmonics you need to lightly touch the strings between the 5th & 6th, 9th & 10th, and the 12th and 13th strings. Pull your finger off as you are picking the string to create the sound.

For basic harmonics you need to lightly touch the strings between the 5th & 6th, 9th & 10th, and the 12th and 13th strings. Pull your finger off as you are picking the string to create the sound.

I can do regular harmonics - thise are pretty easy. I mean specifically pinch harmonics:

I found a good link - I'll try this stuff when i get home: Link

Find one of the harmonics you usaully play, then pick the string, then barely hammer your thumb right after the picked string. Set your guitar to the bridge pickup with the distortion cranked. Hello Billy Gibbons.

<_<

Try this: Forget about the thumb. Use your pointing finger on your picking hand. Get the point of the finger in the way of the pick so when you hit the string with the pick, you hit it with your finger at the same time. Use all up-strokes.

Also where you pick the string it is important where on the string you pick it. Listen to the note and move your pick around until you get a strong harmonic. Try picking the string 8 notes about the fretted note. Change where you pick the string with every note.

I can play Eric Clapton's Bell Bottom Blues solo with the harmonics using this method.

Most people I see, myself included, use their thumb for type of harmonic you're describing..

My best friend just shreds it, I do not..

I can play Eric Clapton's Bell Bottom Blues solo with the harmonics using this method.

I'm trying to get some of Zakk Wylde's stuff down. He's a freak with harmonics.

Try using a thicker pick if you are not already. Something like 1mm. Agree on the bridge pickup with heavy distorion. Ya, you just catch the string between the pick and your thumb. It's the kind of thing you just have to have happen and then you feel what you need to do.

If you get this down, you could rock out to some Little Fighter by White Lion :mad:

ok...... I actually like that song.......

Find one of the harmonics you usaully play, then pick the string, then barely hammer your thumb right after the picked string. Set your guitar to the bridge pickup with the distortion cranked. Hello Billy Gibbons.

:thumbsdown:

:first:

I think Billy Gibbons either invented or took pinch harmonics to the next level.

:thumbsdown:

I think Billy Gibbons either invented or took pinch harmonics to the next level.

Hendrix's favorite guitar player

Guest Black Label Society
I'm trying to get some of Zakk Wylde's stuff down. He's a freak with harmonics.

Have fun with that.

Eddie was great at artificial harmonics as well. Numerous players are good at it though.

For me, I find the easiest way to get em is to fret the 3 fret on the D or A string; pick to get the harmonic, then bend the note to your desire. Once you can do this, run the pick up and down the string (as to pick it in different spots along the string) you'll get different sounds. Very cool.

I prefer the downstroke with a touch of the lower side of the thumb. Keep at it, it's actually pretty easy to do.

Have fun with that.

Eddie was great at artificial harmonics as well. Numerous players are good at it though.

For me, I find the easiest way to get em is to fret the 3 fret on the D or A string; pick to get the harmonic, then bend the note to your desire. Once you can do this, run the pick up and down the string (as to pick it in different spots along the string) you'll get different sounds. Very cool.

I prefer the downstroke with a touch of the lower side of the thumb. Keep at it, it's actually pretty easy to do.

Speaking of Eddie..

Here's a good video explaining the Harmonics, (pinched, natural, tapped, etc.)

http://www.jfrocks3.com/jfrocks/harmonics1.wmv

Open that url with Windows Media Player, don't click on it, that way you can stream it and download it if you want.

Anyways, at the 12 Minute mark he starts talking about Harmonics, and the 13:50 mark is Pinched Harmonics.

I watched it again to see what he had to say, this is generally how I do it. Except I don't really get much thumb action as he says. It's about angle of attach, and using the side of the pick, and having your pick just graze off the string. I hope that doesn't confuse you, anyways, check the video it's excellent.

:unsure:

He has said repeatedly that he blatantly ripped them off from his ex-teacher Roy Buchanan. If you've ever heard Roy play, you'd have to agree that he was the maestro of harmonics.

To all of the guitar players in this thread, I really suggest you check out

Roy Buchanan Live Stock

Speaking of Eddie..

Open that url with Windows Media Player, don't click on it, that way you can stream it and download it if you want.

Anyways, at the 12 Minute mark he starts talking about Harmonics, and the 13:50 mark is Pinched Harmonics.

I watched it again to see what he had to say, this is generally how I do it. Except I don't really get much thumb action as he says. It's about angle of attach, and using the side of the pick, and having your pick just graze off the string. I hope that doesn't confuse you, anyways, check the video it's excellent.

SWEET FUCKKING LINK!!!

:lol:

Try using a thicker pick if you are not already. Something like 1mm. Agree on the bridge pickup with heavy distorion. Ya, you just catch the string between the pick and your thumb. It's the kind of thing you just have to have happen and then you feel what you need to do.

If you get this down, you could rock out to some Little Fighter by White Lion :dunno:

ok...... I actually like that song.......

White Lion ????????? :lol:

Yea, I love White Lion too..Vito Bratta :wacko:

Especially "Lady of the Valley" :first:

Speaking of Eddie..

ENOUGH OF THE SWINGING WHAMMY BAR!!!

:wacko:

ENOUGH OF THE SWINGING WHAMMY BAR!!!

:dunno:

I hear ya..... :wacko:

But he's got some cool stuff......

squeeze the pick right at the edge....hit the string with the front side of the pick (between the pick and index finger) and push the thumb through so that it comes in contact with the string immediately afterward.

think pinch and push (no funny jokes here).

George Lynch.

Hi Edjr. :thumbsdown:

Speaking of Eddie..

Great link!!!

I picked it up in no time after watching that. The key for me was to make sure to use the edge of teh pick and not the face. i can do them no prob without even choking up on the pick even. Of course, I'm kinda wailing on the string. It sounds pretty freakin' cool.

Now I'm learning One Day Remains (Alter bridge). Any tips on how to... well... be really good at guitar? :thumbsup:

Having trouble with the 0-2-6-2-0-2-6-2 and 0-0-9-0-0-9-0-0-7-0-0-7-6 hammer-ons/speed picking. Hoofah. The chorus sounds great though.

I kinda crossed over a hump the past few days by practicing (go figure). It's actually becoming fun to practice now rather than a chore since I can do more, and do stuff more easily. I'm definitely no pro, but I can sound like I know what I'm doing a little at least.

Great link!!!

I picked it up in no time after watching that. The key for me was to make sure to use the edge of teh pick and not the face. i can do them no prob without even choking up on the pick even. Of course, I'm kinda wailing on the string. It sounds pretty freakin' cool.

Now I'm learning One Day Remains (Alter bridge). Any tips on how to... well... be really good at guitar? :lol:

Having trouble with the 0-2-6-2-0-2-6-2 and 0-0-9-0-0-9-0-0-7-0-0-7-6 hammer-ons/speed picking. Hoofah. The chorus sounds great though.

I kinda crossed over a hump the past few days by practicing (go figure). It's actually becoming fun to practice now rather than a chore since I can do more, and do stuff more easily. I'm definitely no pro, but I can sound like I know what I'm doing a little at least.

It's always a good feeling when you've accomplished something like that.

Can't help you with the Alter Bridge, but maybe I'll check it out and see. Where did you get the tab from?

Where did you get the tab from?

online. just did a search for Alter Bridge Guitar Tab and a bunch came up. There are at least three versions floating around. You have to hear the song to get the timing though (which I recommend anyway - it's a kick ass tune)

online. just did a search for Alter Bridge Guitar Tab and a bunch came up. There are at least three versions floating around. You have to hear the song to get the timing though (which I recommend anyway - it's a kick ass tune)

I just listened to part of it off the site. Sounds pretty cool, but very distorted. What are you using to try to match the sound? That's half the battle there..

I just listened to part of it off the site. Sounds pretty cool, but very distorted. What are you using to try to match the sound? That's half the battle there..

Just a little Crate amp and my gee-tar. I'm using the distortion on the amp and it sounds good enough for my needs.