Sign in to follow this  
Isotopes

The Trillion Dollar War

I knew this is going to be a bad article when it started out as:

There are many uncertainties about the progress made by coalition forces and the future prospects for stability and democracy in Iraq

How come everyone that has recently come back from there says conditions are improving with certainity?

Bush and Co. are making the necessary changes to trim the budget and make the military more efficient. They will continue to do so. Part of the reason why Army Generals were pissed at Rumsfeld IMO, but the other side to the issue only has an opinion and speaks of half truths. The Media will talk about the generals who criticize Rumsfeld, but not the fact that it could be related to an overhaul in the sake of operating efficiently while they continue to criticize spending. It makes no sense. Which side are they on? Whichever side makes Bush look the worst.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,94861,00.html

How come everyone that has recently come back there says conditions are improving with certainity. That doesn't sound like uncertainity to me...

Bush and Co. are making the necessary changes to trim the budget and make the military more efficient. They will continue to do so. Part of the reason why Army Generals were pissed at Rumsfeld IMO, but the other side to the issue only has an opinion and speaks of half truths. The Media will talk about the generals who criticize Rumsfeld, but not the fact that it could be related to an overhaul in the sake of operating efficiently.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,94861,00.html

A $50 Billion war turning into a Trillion dollar war. Yeah that is real efficient

How come everyone that has recently come back from there says conditions are improving with certainity?

Really? Last I heard we're teetering on the brink of civil war.

A $50 Billion war turning into a Trillion dollar war. Yeah that is real efficient

Plenty of lessons to be learned from it all. One way or the other I see a better future in the Middle East because of it. The price of peace in the Middle East is not going to come cheaply.

Besides I am not saying that the Trillion dollar war is efficient. I am talking about the $25 Billion cut.

Really? Last I heard we're teetering on the brink of civil war.

Did you hear that from someone over there that was imbedded with the military or some reporter that stays in his hotel room? or even worse a reporter that is over here?

Plenty of lessons to be learned from it all. One way or the other I see a better future in the Middle East because of it. The price of peace in the Middle East is not going to come cheaply.

I thought it was going to cost $50 billion?

Whichever side makes Bush look the worst.

It's that pesky liberal media, I tell ya!

Where is Fvcks News to tell us "Bush is Great, all Praise Bush" when we need them? <_<

I thought it was going to cost $50 billion?

The rich pay a disproportionate share of taxes.

I am not rich, but I got $200 extra for this war or whatever it costs (per person).

Did you hear that from someone over there that was imbedded with the military or some reporter that stays in his hotel room? or even worse a reporter that is over here?

From the Pentagon?

WASHINGTON - Pentagon and military officials say Iraq's not fighting a civil war yet, but warn that Iraqi security forces and the government could still collapse, dragging the country into one. So the U.S. military is drafting a series of contingency plans to deal with that very ominous possibility.

Military officials tell NBC News the first objective, however, is to head off a civil war. The U.S. military hopes to keep Iraqi security forces from taking sides in the sectarian violence by pressuring the Iraqi government to crack down on any rogue elements within the police or military.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11947773/

The rich pay a disproportionate share of taxes.

I am not rich, but I got $200 extra for this war or whatever it costs (per person).

You said democracy in the Middle East wouldn't come easy. I'm just pointing out that BushCo. said the war in Iraq would cost $50 billion, and it'd have a domino effect on the region. So far they've been wrong about absolutely everything.

Come on, everyone knows the Pentagon is hardly a reliable source of information on Iraq... :(

The Liberals have infiltrated the Pentagon! :o

I agree, when terrorists strike at us we shoudl do nothing and ask them to nicely desist. For those nations who support terrorism, like Iraq, we should just shake our heads in disapproval and hope it all goes away. :(

You said democracy in the Middle East wouldn't come easy. I'm just pointing out that BushCo. said the war in Iraq would cost $50 billion, and it'd have a domino effect on the region. So far they've been wrong about absolutely everything.

yeah we should just be cowards and quit cause it's too expensive

They underestimated the opposition, there is no doubt. But the goal remains the same and there will be a domino effect in the region. I personally do not care how much it costs because I think it is the most important aspect. You can say it's the wrong war, but it was the only country over there that had already violated 17 UN Sanctions and that we had a legal right to invade and establish a peaceful presence.

Weak.

Is that all you got?

I don't need anything else. I have heard the latest reports, this dude sends me a month old link :(

What is the deal?

I think your living a year behind and still reading the "we've built and opened some schools" rhetoric.

I haven't seen anything on either the liberal or conservative side substantive that says anything more positive than "we are hanging on". The debate is really between, have we already lost control and civil war has begun and in spite of the civil war like conditions-the beginnings of a civil government are taking place.

Anything more ambitious than that is a load of crap.

They underestimated the opposition, there is no doubt. But the goal remains the same and there will be a domino effect in the region. I personally do not care how much it costs because I think it is the most important aspect. You can say it's the wrong war, but it was the only country over there that had already violated 17 UN Sanctions and that we had a legal right to invade and establish a peaceful presence.

I don't need anything else. I have heard the latest reports, this dude sends me a month old link :(

I guess when you are losing a debate and stuck in an untenable position, then it's time to bring out the strawman, right?

Pretending everything is peachy in Iraq is not going to help. The first step in fixing a problem is recognizing there is a problem.

Iraq is a enormous problem for the US, and this administration has demonstrated it is not capable of dealing with the problem.

I agree, when terrorists strike at us we shoudl do nothing and ask them to nicely desist. For those nations who support terrorism, like Iraq, we should just shake our heads in disapproval and hope it all goes away. :(

Again. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Why do people keep making these claims? Iraq was no threat to us. Why not attack Saudi Arabia where the attackers came from? Oh yeah they are buddies with the Bush family. We will look the other way.

None of that says they are teetering on the brink of civil war.

You're right Sho Nuff. It's just a coincidence that the Pentagon is forming contingency plans for civil war in Iraq, weeks after a series of attacks on mosques that were designed to cause civil war in Iraq. :(

What is the deal?

I think your living a year behind and still reading the "we've built and opened some schools" rhetoric.

I haven't seen anything on either the liberal or conservative side substantive that says anything more positive than "we are hanging on". The debate is really between, have we already lost control and civil war has begun and in spite of the civil war like conditions-the beginnings of a civil government are taking place.

Anything more ambitious than that is a load of crap.

the only bad news coming out in April is that American casualties are slightly up. However, the Iraq patrols are getting more and more independent by the day.

Again. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Why do people keep making these claims? Iraq was no threat to us. Why not attack Saudi Arabia where the attackers came from? Oh yeah they are buddies with the Bush family. We will look the other way.

Iraq has been a long-term supporter of terrorism, where have you been? :(

There's nothing brave about sending other people off to die for the wrong cause.

Iraq has been a long-term supporter of terrorism, where have you been? :o

Exactly how did they support terrorism. Moral support? They didn't have Al Queda camps or anything like that?

the only bad news coming out in April is that American casualties are slightly up. However, the Iraq patrols are getting more and more independent by the day.

You can't be serious.

Exactly how did they support terrorism. Moral support? They didn't have Al Queda camps or anything like that?

So, you are asserting that Al Qaeda is the only terrorist organization? Are they they only one to ever attack the US? Can you guess what other terrorist organizations have? Can you gues where they received some of their support?

No dont so any of that. Just hope it all goes away. I am sure Iran and Syria are just misundertood and the Taliban, well they were just some swell guys who got the shaft. Sing Kumbaya over in the corner until it all melts away :o

None of that says they are teetering on the brink of civil war.

Deputy interior minister Hussein Ali Kamal said Iraq had been in "undeclared" civil war for the past year.

He told reporters: "Actually Iraq has been in an undeclared civil war for the past 12 months.

"On a daily basis Shias, Sunnis, Kurds and Christians are being killed and the only undeclared thing is that a civil war has not been officially announced by the parties involved. Civil war is happening but not on a wide scale."

Mr Kamal's admission mirrors the words of former Iraqi prime minister Iyad Allawi who last month said Iraq was in civil war. Mr Allawi warned that the violence was reaching the point of no return and Europe and the USA would not be spared the consequences.

I hope these quotes count, they don't say anything about "teetering" either.

So, you are asserting that Al Qaeda is the only terrorist organization? Are they they only one to ever attack the US? Can you guess what other terrorist organizations have? Can you gues where they received some of their support?

No dont so any of that. Just hope it all goes away. I am sure Iran and Syria are just misundertood and the Taliban, well they were just some swell guys who got the shaft. Sing Kumbaya over in the corner until it all melts away :o

What Iraqi terrorist group attacked the US? I honestly don't know of that happening.

There's nothing brave about sending other people off to die for the wrong cause.

I don't think you understand "the cause"

We had to enter the region. Iraq was the only option since it was legal to get there. Clinton during his office had already set the precursors for a regime change.

Do you think we would have more success in Iran if we have a presence on each border?

What are the standard aspects that delineate "civil war" because my neighbors have been throwing stuff in each others yards for a few months, I think they are in one.

Can I just say it and make it true? :o

What are the standard aspects that delineate "civil war" because my neighbors have been throwing stuff in each others yards for a few months, I think they are in one.

Can I just say it and make it true? :o

:D

I don't think you understand "the cause"

We had to enter the region. Iraq was the only option since it was legal to get there. Clinton during his office had already set the precursors for a regime change.

Do you think we would have more success in Iran if we have a presence on each border?

I guess we've give up on the "Iraq is not near civil war" argument. :o

I hope these quotes count, they don't say anything about "teetering" either.

your right, we should just give up and focus on the crazy Asians.

Hopefully the Radically Islamics will just ignore us

I guess we've give up on the "Iraq is not near civil war" argument. :o

Actually, I thought that Ray Lewis's Limo Driver had a pretty compelling argument about his neighborhood civil war

Actually, I thought that Ray Lewis's Limo Driver had a pretty compelling argument about his neighborhood civil war

So Ray is right and the Pentagon is wrong - gotcha. :o

I love how Bush supporters live in this bizarro fantasyworld where the Pentagon knows less about the war than the White House and anybody who doesn't tow the party line is part of a vast liberal conspiracy. You guys make Tom Cruise look grounded in reality.