Sign in to follow this  
pingpong

Electric Water Heater help needed

It appears that my electric water heater is showing the signs of a cracked dip tube. Has anyone replaced one before? Is it easy anough to do, or should I just replace the entire 12 year old unit?

Anyone have experience with an electric tankless unit as opposed to the traditional tank heater?

Is this a do it yourself job, or will I rupture my plumbing trying to save a few hundred bucks?

TIA

:D

I'm about as much of a do-it-yourselfer as it gets, but when mine went out, I did some research and found out it is much better in the long run to have a pro do it..If you fock up the brazing, your screwed.

Plus here in California, you have to have approved, properly mounted earthquake straps.

My buddy did his own, and when he tried to sell the house, It didn't pass code, so he had to hire a pro to redo it..

Plus, a 12 year old heater is pretty much garbage comared to whats out there today.

HTH

Do a search of reviews for the tankless water heaters and you'll find that many people are dissatisfied. They aren't as good as originally perceived.

I agree with the previous poster, you need to know what you're doing when it comes to copper pipes.

Do a search of reviews for the tankless water heaters and you'll find that many people are dissatisfied. They aren't as good as originally perceived.

I agree with the previous poster, you need to know what you're doing when it comes to copper pipes.

That and if it truly is 12 yrs old, it is likely your local building codes have changed. If you put in a new one, you have to have it to code. You will also most likely need a permit to do the replacement. Much easier to pay someone to do it so if it fails inspection, they have to come make it right.

That's what my gut told me...pay the pro to do the work. It just sucks to see a $500 bill on the near horizon. :lol:

It shouldnt be that much..But your own water heater here, or someplace like it, and have someone licensed to come put it in..

Around here the going rate is $75.00 -100.00 to install and remove your old one. :cry:

I would love to see where you are going to get a licensed plumber to come out and install the piece of crap water heater you bought at Home Depot for $75-100. You are looking at more like 200-300 if you supply, if they supply the heater, probably $750-900 depending on size of the heater.

Bout a year and a half ago, we had a 12 yr 40 gallon gas heater put in by Home Depot.

Whole thing cost around $700.

. It just sucks to see a $500 bill on the near horizon. :banana:

It's going to be more than this, buddy. A lot more.

:banana:

Sorry if you guys got burned... :banana:

There is this invention called a telephone.

One can use it to call various plumbers in your area.

Not all of them charge the same.

Some will be lower than others depending on how bad they need money at the time.

Feel free to name a price of your own and see if they will do it for said price.

HTH

Sorry if you guys got burned... :unsure:

There is this invention called a telephone.

One can use it to call various plumbers in your area.

Not all of them charge the same.

Some will be lower than others depending on how bad they need money at the time.

Feel free to name a price of your own and see if they will do it for said price.

HTH

:(

Tankless water heaters are the wave of the future. It depends on your lifestyle... If you are taking a shower, doing the dishes, and laundry all at the same time there may be a problem. The same is true for a typical 50 gallon tank heater. I like the tankless water heaters because it is a pay as you use system. No elements to constantly keep 50 gallons of water hot inside a large tank. 240 volt hook up is the norm and should slide right in as a replacement to your old water heater, unless you live in a mobile home which is 120v. I do not know why the NG and propane water heaters are cheaper than electric. It must be something about those expensive copper wires? I have found my labor cost is more expensive installing gas because I have to run vent systems that may not be to code where I work. Does any of this make sense?

I'm the plumber known as spottedowl.

Have a tankless coil at my house. When we moved in we could barely get a lukewarm shower in the winter. When the burner would kick in (usually 5-7 mins into the shower if you could last that long in the cold water) you would get another spurt of warm but then it would go cold again. Summer time was no problem but who wants to take a steaming hot shower in the summer?

When our little girl came along we knew we would need warmer water (for longer) to give her baths so I spoke with a burner repair man and he told me there were a few things to look into. What we ended up doing was having the repairman come in and flushing the coil. Apparently there was a buildup of crap inside the coil which significantly impacted it's efficiency. Since then I have been able to take 20 min steaming hot showers with no interruption. Even can fill up a full bath with hot water which was unthinkable before.

Like Spotted said if we try to run the dishwasher, laundry (hot) and take a shower we lose some pressure but the temp stays pretty good. So, I guess what I am saying is while I was at first very sour with tankless water, now that I have seen how they are capable working I am definitely a believer. Also, if you notice a decrease in hot water you may want to talk to a repair man about flushing the system- I guess they use a combo of steam and acid to clean out the build-up.

Have a tankless coil at my house. When we moved in we could barely get a lukewarm shower in the winter. When the burner would kick in (usually 5-7 mins into the shower if you could last that long in the cold water) you would get another spurt of warm but then it would go cold again. Summer time was no problem but who wants to take a steaming hot shower in the summer?

When our little girl came along we knew we would need warmer water (for longer) to give her baths so I spoke with a burner repair man and he told me there were a few things to look into. What we ended up doing was having the repairman come in and flushing the coil. Apparently there was a buildup of crap inside the coil which significantly impacted it's efficiency. Since then I have been able to take 20 min steaming hot showers with no interruption. Even can fill up a full bath with hot water which was unthinkable before.

Like Spotted said if we try to run the dishwasher, laundry (hot) and take a shower we lose some pressure but the temp stays pretty good. So, I guess what I am saying is while I was at first very sour with tankless water, now that I have seen how they are capable working I am definitely a believer. Also, if you notice a decrease in hot water you may want to talk to a repair man about flushing the system- I guess they use a combo of steam and acid to clean out the build-up.

What do you have? I am a firm believer in the Bosch tankless water heaters The initial costs with the installation are stupid. Please understand, I have to make a profit for my knowledge. My advice is free to my friends here.

Sorry my friend, What kind of nonsense service are you receiving? It's a freaking water heater. There is not any flushing the system crap in my world.

Around here, you can get Electric (and gas) water heaters from local power cooperatives (vs. Home Depot, Lowes, etc) that have a lifetime warranty, I think.

I believe the brand is Marathon.

My opinion is... Go to Home Depot and have it replaced with a takless water heater. You wll not regret it in the long run.

It appears that my electric water heater is showing the signs of a cracked dip tube. Has anyone replaced one before? Is it easy anough to do, or should I just replace the entire 12 year old unit?

Anyone have experience with an electric tankless unit as opposed to the traditional tank heater?

Is this a do it yourself job, or will I rupture my plumbing trying to save a few hundred bucks?

TIA

:cheers:

How do you know the dip tube is bad? Are you getting soap like flakes in the aerators? BTW, I have replaced plenty.

Bud,

Its not worth it to replace the diptube at this point, unless you have been annually draining your tank. Otherwise it is not that difficult to replace a water heater. Assuming its in your basement, the most tedius thing will be draining it. With the size of your family its not worth experimenting with a tankless. HTH.

Also, there was a class action suit against dip tube failures, but you had to file before 2000. :cheers:

Bud,

Its not worth it to replace the diptube at this point, unless you have been annually draining your tank. Otherwise it is not that difficult to replace a water heater. Assuming its in your basement, the most tedius thing will be draining it. With the size of your family its not worth experimenting with a tankless. HTH.

Also, there was a class action suit against dip tube failures, but you had to file before 2000. :cheers:

I personally do not like to replace the 'dip tube' However, sometimes it is necessary. Also, you do not have to drain the water heater because it is located on the top. Just shut the water off going to the water heater.

:(

If you want to replace a water heater and not drain it entirely, that's up to you. :(

I was talking about replacing the dip tube. You do not need to drain the water heater to replace it.

I was talking about replacing the dip tube. You do not need to drain the water heater to replace it.

But its already been established its not worth it to replace a dip tube on a 12 year old unit so I thought you were talking about full replacement.

The plumber that our family has known for years said it was either the dip tube or heating element. We will be replacing the darn thing on Monday with a new similar 80 gallon tank. With 5 of us, and the relatives army that comes 2-3x per year, Buffington is right about not wanting to experiment. Som'beotch is gonna set me back close to $900 to have it installed. :lol:

Thanks for the help guys.

The plumber that our family has known for years said it was either the dip tube or heating element. We will be replacing the darn thing on Monday with a new similar 80 gallon tank. With 5 of us, and the relatives army that comes 2-3x per year, Buffington is right about not wanting to experiment. Som'beotch is gonna set me back close to $900 to have it installed. :(

Thanks for the help guys.

If you are buying a whole new unit, you should be able to replace it yourself. I went through the same thing about a year ago, and Owl ( :D ) walked me through it. Nothing to it at all. You're getting a little bit of Brokeback Mountain treatment if someone is charging you $900, it's definately a do-it-yourself project. Also, whoever said you need a permit is way off. Good luck.

What do you have? I am a firm believer in the Bosch tankless water heaters The initial costs with the installation are stupid. Please understand, I have to make a profit for my knowledge. My advice is free to my friends here.

Sorry my friend, What kind of nonsense service are you receiving? It's a freaking water heater. There is not any flushing the system crap in my world.

I have a Weil-Mclain oil fired burner with a tankless hot water coil. The coil is what was flushed.

I have a Weil-Mclain oil fired burner with a tankless hot water coil. The coil is what was flushed.

LOL. I understand now. We do not use those here on the left coast.

LOL. I understand now. We do not use those here on the left coast.

Gotta love the Northeast. I figured I didn't make it quite clear enough. Don't get me worng, there is no doubt that they made a pretty penny off that joib but I needed it done and since it dealt with acids and jacking the burner up to basically put steam through the coil I was all set with letting someone else handle that task.

How's school going man?

Gotta love the Northeast. I figured I didn't make it quite clear enough. Don't get me worng, there is no doubt that they made a pretty penny off that joib but I needed it done and since it dealt with acids and jacking the burner up to basically put steam through the coil I was all set with letting someone else handle that task.

How's school going man?

I have tell you, it is like working a second job. I think my BS in Business Management will open many doors. I plan on moving to Hawaii to be close to my parents. My dad has been bugging me to move over there and start a plumbing company. I would prefer to get out of the business and manage a resort. We'll see.

I have tell you, it is like working a second job. I think my BS in Business Management will open many doors. I plan on moving to Hawaii to be close to my parents. My dad has been bugging me to move over there and start a plumbing company. I would prefer to get out of the business and manage a resort. We'll see.

What about facility maintenance at the Dole factory?

Seriously though hang in there. In the end it'll definitely be worth it. Best of luck and hopefully you can get it done and get over there to be with the fam making some good cake.

What about facility maintenance at the Dole factory?

Seriously though hang in there. In the end it'll definitely be worth it. Best of luck and hopefully you can get it done and get over there to be with the fam making some good cake.

I'm ready for some football. :blink:

I'm ready for some football. :blink:

Yeah me too. Already frustrated with my baseball team. Seems no matter what me and my partner do we cannot get pitchers in their good years. Bartolo Colon? On the DL for only the second time in his career. Washburn? Pitches great but can't get a win. Byrd and Lee? Solid pitchers who are struggling and neither can get a W against the Royals. :P