Sign in to follow this  
striker1z

Asheville, NC

I have an opportunity to interview with a company that is based just outside of Asheville, NC. I'd like to get some opinions of the area. More specifically, cost of living, things to do, level of schools there, etc. The job would be a move up for me, with a potential to make about $15K a year more than what I'm currently making. I'm in Columbia, SC now, and I do like it here, but the $ is tempting, as is the promotion.

Over the past 28 years I've been there probaly 12 times. Most recently was there two years ago, around the time Starsky and Hutch, the Mel Gibson Christ movie came out, and it was during the conference tourneys in basketball. I have family on the outskirts in Leicester and we visit them when possible. For me I considered the place a dream come true. Never been there with the ability to drive around and just explore the surrounding area until recently. People are very friendly, weather gets a little cold at times, very nice and tranquil place. For me, it gets too cold at times up in the mountains. If it weren't for that I would be moving there. By the end of the year, me and the misses are going to move to NC, but more east of the blue ridge. It will either be Charlotte, Raleigh, or Wake Forest area. I may tell you more when I am sober, but for now that is all. :mellow:

Its nice to see so many SC's here. I'm in Anderson SC.

I grew up in Travelers Rest SC which is about 30 miles south of Asheville. I have a friend who grew up & lives in Asheville now. The only difference that I know of living in Asheville would be the weather. Its usually 10-15 degrees cooler every day which is nice in the Summer but come winter time...it snows there quite often.

Also if you take a trip to downtown Asheville sometime you'll find that for some reason there are alot of freaks down there. There's alot of tree hugging...take some herbs & let's love one another people. That weird chick Courtney from Survivor would fit nicely there. You yourself may also be a freak so don't take that as offensive...they're just a little more in tune with "nature" than I am. :cheers: :blink:

I applied for the newspaper editor job there and did a hell of a lot of research into the place. From what I could tell, it seemed like paradise. The place is known for its beer, and nearby you can ski in the winter and mountain bike and hike in the summer.

Unfortunately, I got beat out by some woman with 10,000 years of experience.

:doh:

we have good friends there, and my sister went to college there. It's beautiful. It's like an even mix of hippietown and rural churchgoers.

Its nice to see so many SC's here. I'm in Anderson SC.

I know Anderson pretty well... I was at Clemson from '99-'03.

Where in Cola do you work/live? It's where I currently am as well.

I'm in the Northeast - near the Village at Sandhills. I work in the southeast, off of Bluff Road. Where abouts are you?

Thanks for the responses everyone......I'm having a phone interview on Monday, and hopefully they'll ask me up there for a face-to-face interview. If that happens, I'm definitely going to spend the day looking around.

I love that Columbia is relatively small (I can be anywhere I need to within 30 minutes), and it's pretty much got everything I need. I would also hate to leave my house/neighborhood, but this would be a good move up for my career. I guess I'll worry about having to move there if I get an offer <_<

It is nice to see so many people from SC here!

I'm in the Northeast - near the Village at Sandhills. I work in the southeast, off of Bluff Road. Where abouts are you?

Thanks for the responses everyone......I'm having a phone interview on Monday, and hopefully they'll ask me up there for a face-to-face interview. If that happens, I'm definitely going to spend the day looking around.

I love that Columbia is relatively small (I can be anywhere I need to within 30 minutes), and it's pretty much got everything I need. I would also hate to leave my house/neighborhood, but this would be a good move up for my career. I guess I'll worry about having to move there if I get an offer <_<

It is nice to see so many people from SC here!

I live just over the river in West Columbia... I work off of Assembly.

I live just over the river in West Columbia... I work off of Assembly.

How do you like working "downtown"? At least it's a short drive to the Vista for happy hour :ninja:

It's like an even mix of hippietown and rural churchgoers.

This would seal it for me.

gorgeous place, cost of living should be a little lower than Columbia, but not much. Appalachians are beautiful. If you are an outdoorsy person, you'll love it. Not as much of a night life as Columbia, but then again, there's not much of a night life in Columbia. Like Torrid said, it's kinda a hippy town, Boulder of the east, so to speak. It's still got a bit of the Andy Griffith mentality. The Smokies are just a short drive off of 40, and it's one of the most beautiful places you can visit. If you've never been, you need to make a trip or two to visit, especially if you are considering a move there.

Awesome place. Plus you have great Hiking/biking/camping in DuPont National Forest/Pisgah. Outdoor lovers heaven.