Sign in to follow this  
Electric Mayhem

HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray vs. Rat's Ass

Is it just me, or does the general public not really give a crap if DVDs can handle HD content? I know the difference in quality between regular TV and HD TV is noticable, but I'm very satisfied with how my DVDs look now. I can't see wanting to upgrade to HD-DVD or Blue Ray technology, especially if there is a format battle going on and I have to pick based on available titles.

With the VHS/Betamax battle, it was an ENTIRELY new format, and if you wanted to rent/buy a movie, you HAD to pick one. Now that people have bought into the DVD format, I really don't think they will have any desire to 'upgrade'.

1) DVDs and HD DVDs are just as compact physically

2) Most won't 'understand' the difference between the two formats (Blue Ray / HD-DVD) so will just say screw it and stay with DVDs

3) No one will want to choose between the two until either a) one format 'wins' or :thumbsup: players can play both formats at a reasonable price to avoid all confusion (see 2 above)

4) DVD quality is pretty damn good with a prog. scan player and quality TV. It's not like the step up from VCR to DVD quality.

I personally think that a new technology will come along and trump them both while they battle amongst themsleves. Probably something along the lines of data compression or huge multi-terabyte storage that allows you to just stick movies on a hard drive that you can dowload at any time for rental or purchase (even better - rent for $5, and own it AFTER viewing for only $10 more or something).

Anyhoo - just wanted to know if anyone out there gives a rat's ass about the new format or is planning on upgrading in the future.

Don't they make an HD DVD player than will convert a dvd to HD when you watch? :thumbsup:

It does not make it true HD. I have the upconversion and all it does is add pixels to get a higher resolution.

It does not make it true HD. I have the upconversion and all it does is add pixels to get a higher resolution.

It's not all that noticeable of a difference, barely any. This is due to the fact that your TV will display at the native resolution anyway.

Don't they make an HD DVD player than will convert a dvd to HD when you watch? :banana:

In order for a movie to be 'true' HD, it has to be filmed in HD, and then written to a DVD in that format. Todays DVD do not have the required space to handle a full movie in HD, thus the need for a new DVD format (Blue Ray or HD-DVD), AND a new CODEC to read the new format in the players. Thus the battle.